Author Topic: All Things Yokogawa T&M  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Yokogawa TM UKTopic starter

• Contributor
All Things Yokogawa T&M
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:18:53 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Lee from the T&M team in the UK, new on here but been around T&M for a while now. I am here as a resource for all things Yokogawa Test and Measurement although you can throw anything else Yokogawa at me and I'll do my best.

From a Test and Measurement point of view, if you need support, help or even general advice on our product range then either ask me openly or privately.

We have a new product launching very soon which enhances our image as precision makers and I am genuinely excited about its potential!

Lee
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lee-thomas-7772bb52/

The following users thanked this post: TheAmmoniacal

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: All Things Yokogawa T&M
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:41:52 pm »
Welcome Lee!

Great to see more T&M manufacturers in this forum!

The following users thanked this post: BrianH_Tektronix, Yokogawa TM UK

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:39:56 pm »
Cool! My first scope was a Yokogawa, so I'm kind of loyal to the brand. Nice to see new devices are coming out!

One gripe I've always had with my DLM2000 is the lack of SCPI support for transfering live data, though. I can only fetch live sample data via USB/ETH as long as there are only very few samples to transmit per trigger event (12500 if memory serves me right). That's really quite pointless when postprocessing the sample data on a PC is the goal. Is this going to improve at some point or is it a hardware limitation (low-bandwidth data bus?) that's impossible to overcome?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
Hi Abraxa, have you tried the Yokogawa Y Link website?
You may need to register to gain full access, but once registered and logged on then click this link: https://y-link.yokogawa.com/YL008/?V_ope_type=Show&Download_id=DL00002096&Language_id=EN

It should take you to the TMCTL file which contains multiple driver options. If you get no joy then let me know and I will see what I can find internally. :)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:31:05 pm »
Back when I was in the on-wafer testing game, we used HP 4062 and other HP gear that was branded HP/Yokagawa.  I even developed the first(?) driven-guard probe card for the 4062 system.  https://patents.google.com/patent/US4983907A

The following users thanked this post: kleblanc

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:02 pm »
Hi Abraxa, have you tried the Yokogawa Y Link website?
You may need to register to gain full access, but once registered and logged on then click this link: https://y-link.yokogawa.com/YL008/?V_ope_type=Show&Download_id=DL00002096&Language_id=EN

It should take you to the TMCTL file which contains multiple driver options. If you get no joy then let me know and I will see what I can find internally. :)

Thanks, but I'm on linux, so the implementations contained in the TMCTL package don't help me. Instead, I'm using the SCPI interface via USB/Ethernet.
I checked my sources and I mixed things up slightly in my previous comment. The command :WAVEFORM:SEND? will only return 12500 samples at most, so if there is more data to fetch (see Acquire->Record Length), it needs to be called multiple times - that's where I remembered the 12500 from. That works, though only if the scope is stopped. If it's running, :WAVEFORM:SEND? will always return "#9000000000", meaning that there are 0 samples delivered to the PC. This is unfortunate because I want to be able to receive and process the data as it's acquired - ideally in realtime.
As it stands, I have to let the scope run, stop acquisition, fetch the data, let it run again... which slows things down a lot and makes me miss plenty of potential trigger events.

Other than that it is a very nice device and I'm still amazed to this day that it's the only scope I know that has a vertical form factor. It's so extremely convenient to have an elevated screen and the controls below.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »
Hi Abraxa,

What is the memory depth on the DLM2000 please, is it 62.5M, 125M or 250M?

I will hopefully get back to you soon regarding this.
Lee

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:08 pm »
It's a 125M model, though it doesn't matter what acquisition record length is set - even at 12.5k, :WAVEFORM:SEND? returns no data during an ongoing acquisition.

Digging into this issue again, I remembered that :WAVEFORM:ALL:SEND? does deliver data also during acquisition but only the first 12500 samples - apparently the same limitation as for :WAVEFORM:SEND?. The communication interface manual does list that 12.5k limit but does not describe how to retrieve the missing samples.

To sum it up: I have the choice of retrieving all sample data using :WAVEFORM:SEND? - which only works when the scope is stopped - or using :WAVEFORM:ALL:SEND? which works at any time but only returns 12.5k samples, no matter how long the acquisition record length. Unfortunately, that makes them both useless for my use case.

I appreciate you trying to figure this out for me :)

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:00:12 am »
Do you think it would be possible to find an operation and/or service manual for the 3088 Hybrid Recorder?

With Google I was only able to find a datasheet, a migration guide (i.e. which modern models to upgrade to based on which old model you have), and a historical interest mention in the DR230 manual. Y-Link's document library doesn't seem to have anything on it—I only see 3023, 3024, 3025, 3057, 3750, and 3760 under Recorders > Hybrid Recorders/XY Recorders.

Interestingly, the datasheet claims one unit cannot have both the GPIB option and the alarm output option, but my unit appears to have both.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 05:32:57 pm »
Hi Abraxa, The manual wont list the missing samples as the DLM2000 series wont real time data transfer like the scopecorder series does. However, depending on the measurement time, you could perform a single acquisition and then post process the data. If you doubled the memory from 125M to 250M you could run double the measurement time while maintaining the sample rate.

On the transferring of data there will always be a delay, the time though depends on the interface used, you mentioned USB and Ethernet for which I have listed below the approximation tables for the transmission of data:

USB
Data Points          Byte Data            Word Data           ASCII Data
1250                    approx 13ms       approx 12ms       approx 0.7s
12500                  approx 21ms       approx 14ms       approx 0.67s
125000                approx 109ms     approx 34ms       approx 6.65s
1250000              approx 981ms     approx 221ms     approx 66.45s
12500000            approx 9690ms   approx 2126ms   approx 666.4s
125000000          approx 96173ms approx 20730ms approx 6647.052s

Ethernet
Data Points          Byte Data              Word Data           ASCII Data
1250                    approx 14ms         approx 13ms       approx 0.8s
12500                  approx 23ms         approx 16ms       approx 0.68s
125000                approx 115ms       approx 43ms       approx 6.68s
1250000              approx 1017ms     approx 288ms     approx 64.34s
12500000            approx 10063ms   approx 2760ms   approx 659.26s
125000000          approx 100055ms approx 27141ms approx 6676.55s

These approximated values are conservative and depending on the system used, you may find an improvement in these values.

One note I found is that the :WAVEFORM:ALL:SEND? query will obtain waveform data during the measurement. But you can only query up to 12.5 kPoints in a record, perhaps sufficient? perhaps not!
What is evident though is that the at 12.5kPoints the transfer rate is more than three times as fast - from 109ms to 32ms

Section 5.34 on the interface manual, found on Yokogawa Y Link, can offer expanded details.

It may not be the exact answer you were looking for but I hope it can provide some support.

If this is critical to your test, then I would suggest taking a look at the scopecorder series (DL850E) which offers a real time data transfer solution....and maybe loads more!

Lee

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 05:38:06 pm »
Please visit: https://y-link.yokogawa.com/YL000/

Register a free account and then click the following link:

https://y-link.yokogawa.com/YL022/

I believe this is what you may be after :)

Lee

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:35 am »
Please let me know if there are any further questions   :D :D :D

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:29 pm »
The manual wont list the missing samples as the DLM2000 series wont real time data transfer like the scopecorder series does. However, depending on the measurement time, you could perform a single acquisition and then post process the data.

Thanks for the information, I guess I was too hopeful there. I hope such a feature could be considered in the future then: having the scope be a DAQ device for the attached PC. Essentially, I want to trigger the scope on certain conditions and when they are met, the PC should be able to copy the data over before the next trigger event happens. 12500 data points aren't enough when the data to be examined is a medium-speed serial bus (30+ MHz), so unfortunately that limitation is a deal breaker for me.
I can make do by other means, though, so I'm able to continue my work. I was just wanting to use the DLM for it :)

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:09 am »
Hi Abraxa, please consider the DL850 Scopecorder with its real time data transfer capabilities. This will tick all of the points that you have made so far :)
Here is a link: http://tmi.yokogawa.com/gb/products/data-acquisition-equipment/scopecorders/dl850edl850ev-scopecorder/

Offline Joe from Tassie

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 08:56:40 pm »
Hello!
First time post! :o

I have this excellent Yokohama OR300E handy oscillographic recorder, originally from Alstom Power later bought out by GE.

I bought it on EBay and got it shipped from the US. It appears basically unused and comes with all the accessories too. Very pleased and it will suit my needs perfectly.

It comes with an ATA Flash card (64mb) installed, actually it’s a CF card in an adaptor. The unit says theATA Flash card is not installed, the manual says 40mb maximum but I have a datasheet that says a much larger size is compatible. It also needs to be formatted to MS Dos, I currently don’t have a way to confirm this.

I’m hoping that I might be able to find the ACRAWin32 software somewhere and use the RS232 interface instead and run it via my Toughbook, which would be a far better option in every way. I use this kind of setup for a couple of other of my instruments and it really is the way to go.

My line of work involves data collection for troubleshooting and calibration of industrial equipment and verifying processes. And also electronic hobbies at home and for friends.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the software ? Or perhaps a later version is compatible that might work?

Any help is hugely appreciated  ^-^

Cheers! Joe

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 01:33:57 pm »
Hi!

Is there any user or service manuals for the 2552 DC voltage standard or the 2561 current unit? I do have a Japanese user manual for the 2561 but it has no service/adjustment information.
I'd love to be able to service and properly calibrate/adjust my instruments. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 01:38:54 pm »
You'll probably need to send Yokogawa TM UK a PM, they haven't logged in since 2021, therefore they won't see these replies.

David

Offline Joe from Tassie

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 09:28:26 pm »
You'll probably need to send Yokogawa TM UK a PM, they haven't logged in since 2021, therefore they won't see these replies.

David

Hi David! Thanks for looking into this for me, I’ll send them a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf