Author Topic: Alternatives for obsolete Yokogawa MV2000  (Read 1740 times)

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Alternatives for obsolete Yokogawa MV2000
« on: August 12, 2022, 09:03:59 pm »
Hi at all,

We got a yokogawa MV2000 form the early 2000s years here for several purpopes, mostly logging temperatures for a long time up to 96h.
Actually we use it for tests by logging input voltage, output voltage, output current and several temperatures(It got more than 16 channels).
"Now" we need a second one, because this will be in a testsetup for years.
It´s a good chance to get one with "better" parameters, for example the maximum voltage input of the modules from the MV2000 are 50V.
I´ve asked yokogawa for a actual replacement, it will be the sirius series, but they cost up to appx 9000€ and are having the same limitations concerning maximum input voltage.
Could it get better and cheaper ?
The yokogawas get the advantage of an inbuilt display - But this isn´t a must have.
We need at least 16 channels, maximium record time of 96h, very nice to have would be an input voltage up to 250VAC.
Or more precisely:
Input voltage 3 phase 400 hz, 200Vac.
Input current up to 16A (or via shunt)
Output voltage up to 30Vdc
Output current up to 200Adc ( definitely via shunt I guess...)
Several temperature meausure points on the DUT.

What about the rigol M300 system ?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Alternatives for obsolete Yokogawa MV2000
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 09:33:42 pm »
I would definitely contact Rigol support with actual question.
Keyword here is maximum permissible voltage.

Current you have to measure trough shunt. Scan cards are break before make, so they disconnect current path.. Use shunts and measure voltages.
Temperature measurement shouldn't be a problem.. A custom code to control and scale would need to be made..

M300 has a display and can chart but is much smaller and simpler than Yokogawa..

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 09:51:55 pm »
Hi,

What maximum voltage concerns, this wouldn´t be a problem because of the 6.5 digits DVM module the M300 system can be equipped with.

https://www.batronix.com/shop/multimeter/Rigol-M301.html

But you´re right, contacting them (rigol or batronix) will be the best solution in this case.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 09:59:32 pm »
Hi,

What maximum voltage concerns, this wouldn´t be a problem because of the 6.5 digits DVM module the M300 system can be equipped with.

https://www.batronix.com/shop/multimeter/Rigol-M301.html

But you´re right, contacting them (rigol or batronix) will be the best solution in this case.

300V max.. Contact support and explain the setup. If they say it is OK it is OK...

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 10:17:10 am »
300V max.. Contact support and explain the setup. If they say it is OK it is OK...

It says "300V" right there on the screen:

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 10:35:39 am »
How about the voltage rating on the multiplexer? Do they all support up to 300V?

What kind of power source are we talking about for the three-phase power? Should we be worried about transients and what happens if a fault occurs? Scanner cards generally aren't designed to measure high-energy circuits.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:44:16 am by alm »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 06:32:40 pm »
Hi,

No worries about the powersource, its a dsp controlled one, additional there is a programmed outputvoltage starting ramp active to avoid current spikes (a transformer will be driven).

Scanner cards

Hm...
So that means it will "scan" its inputs and "collect" the measuring values ?
For example from say No.1 to No.32 and then again and again...?
Yokogawa does this parallel at the same time.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 06:48:06 pm »
Looking at the Yokogawa website, I see the DL950 and SL1000 that might fit the bill. By swapping input modules, you can tailor the machine to your needs.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 07:25:50 pm »
Hm...
So that means it will "scan" its inputs and "collect" the measuring values ?
For example from say No.1 to No.32 and then again and again...?
Yokogawa does this parallel at the same time.
I have not used this particular unit, but I have used similar units from Keithley and Agilent, I think the Rigol works the same: it's basically a single DMM plus multiple multiplexer / switch cards. The multiplexer cards contain a bunch of relays or FETs that can connect one of the input at a time to the DMM. You can either control this directly, e. g. close switch X, or tell the unit to scan through all channels and take a measurement at a certain rate. That's why they are sometimes called scanners.

There are also matrix switch cards that can form multiple connections at once, but the DMM can still only measure a single channel at a time. You could in theory connect external DMMs or DAQs that measure more channels to the switching card.

To acquire more channels simultaneously you need a different unit with many ADC channels. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they are also internally multiplexing the signals, though at a faster rate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:00:07 pm by alm »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:19 pm »
Hm-hm...
Doesn´t sound nice, we need seamless recording of all channels...Must think about it.

@nctnico:
At least the SL1000 looks much more expensive than what they offer to me.
They offer me this here as the "legacy" of the MV2000:

https://www.yokogawa.com/uk/solutions/products-platforms/data-acquisition/portable-data-acquisition/touch-screen-gp10-gp20/

6500€ for the GP10, 8500 for the GP 20 with the modules including similar to the MV2000.

I will gather more informations, for example the rigol system or the SL1000, but "deep in my belly", it would be the best to get the GP20.
We will see, if there are other alternatives.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 09:08:08 pm »
The GP10/GP20 look more like the MV2000 but since you want to have high voltage inputs, the DL950 / SL1000 with their modules (including 4 channel isolated ones) may be a better fit. What you may need to pay extra for the system, might be compensated by not needing expensive external dividers. But it also highly depends on the features you need / expect.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:10:04 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 09:32:55 pm »
Jap,
Actually we compensate the lack of high voltage inputs with a simple transformer circuit, the lack of high current by using a suitable shunt.
As the question of a second recorder cames uo I thought it was a good situation to look for high voltage inputs, so we don´t must rescaling the values.
Additional, a similar system like our old yokogawa, everyone knows how to work with.
Normally we use the yokogawa for dry heat running tests and only using the channels for temperature, this happens 4...6 times a year.
But now we got the new project and still the heat tests, therefore a second one is needed.
This reminds me, we got an elder Yokogawa DL ??? scopecorder with 16 channels, 6 are having HV modules.
But no temp inputs, no usb.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 09:39:26 pm »
The temperature modules can be obtained on the used market. Or maybe even from Yokogawa. Lack of USB is a thing though. I have a DL708 ; together with a Prologix ethernet to GPIB converter it is easy to control over ethernet.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 10:22:12 pm »
What kind of accuracy and sample rate do you mean when saying continuous recording? Many instruments with multiple analog inputs, including some scopes, will multiplex multiple signals to a single ADC. The question is how fast. High voltage scanners generally use relays so I'd expect multiplexing rate in the order of 100ms. Check the data sheet.

If you don't need high voltage or very high accuracy, then maybe a DAQ like the Labjack T7(-pro) would work with 14 analog +/- 10 V inputs connected to a 16 to 24 bit ADC with sample rates up to 100 ks/s (single channel)?

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 10:50:27 am »
I have not used this particular unit, but I have used similar units from Keithley and Agilent, I think the Rigol works the same: it's basically a single DMM plus multiple multiplexer / switch cards. The multiplexer cards contain a bunch of relays or FETs that can connect one of the input at a time to the DMM. You can either control this directly, e. g. close switch X, or tell the unit to scan through all channels and take a measurement at a certain rate. That's why they are sometimes called scanners. .

Got the yokogawa MV200 open, it seems it´s the same there and this would be also on our MV2000, so I must have a look at the specs from the 2000, concerning the measure rates.
And then we´ll see what alternatives will fit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:56:36 am by Martin72 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf