Author Topic: Amazon Do Multimeters Now  (Read 36360 times)

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Amazon Do Multimeters Now
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2020, 05:08:13 am »
... but looks can be deceiving

I've not yet developed the ability to simply look at a meter with my eyes and be able to tell how robust it is.   There are a lot of reviewers who claim to have such a talent.  Sadly many can't seem to tell the difference between disc capacitors, PTCs or MOVs.     

Actually, just had a recent discussion like this: 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/uni-t-ut-181a-what-am-i-doing-wrong-(big-bandwidth-on-ac-volts-range-)/

I can run the Amazon meter if people want to see it but I have not ordered anything for the last few month as I see no reason to put a driver at risk for my hobby.   So you would have to wait.

If you look with more attention you can see clearly that in photo of a UNI-T there are in left down side MOVS (varistors) and PTC(Termistors) . These was meant to be part of input protection circuit . From here was start the discussion , that UNI-T 181A lack input protection .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:14:55 pm by skander36 »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2020, 03:55:37 pm »
Actually, what Evava wrote was:

Fluke vs UNI-T duel is presumably caused by input protection circuit, which lacks on UNI-T

I took this to mean deficient or inadequate, which it most certainly is.   You then start in with the assumption that his statement  meant there were no components in the meter that were part of this circuitry and proceeded to argue that point and continue to do so.   

From a protection standpoint, I would say every meter I have looked at has some level of protection circuitry (again, I am not referring to safety).  Maybe it's just a current limiting resistor or maybe it has 6 MOVs.   My tests don't care what parts are sprinkled into a design.  It only cares how they all work together.   We have seen time and time again that these design by part sprinkling may at times look impressive but will fail miserably at very low levels.   

Many reviews will open up the meter and say something like look at all that protection...  MOVs!! (while pointing at caps)  PTCs!! (while pointing at MOVs) ....  That's a five star meter!!   You are impressed with the pictures of the UT181A.  Again, so be it.   But I ran these test  to see how they actually hold up,  not to provide my opinion on how I feel they will hold up based on what they look like.  As I have explained many times, but sadly it doesn't sink in, that the 181A could use some improvement in the layout.  It should have been caught in the design review.  It should have been caught when Intertek subjected it to the 61326 standards and approved it.   

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2020, 05:35:31 pm »
Actually, what Evava wrote was:

Fluke vs UNI-T duel is presumably caused by input protection circuit, which lacks on UNI-T

I took this to mean deficient or inadequate, which it most certainly is.
You should have written this in your first post in that thread and I would have considered ok .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 10:38:00 am by skander36 »

Offline MattK

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2020, 08:20:08 pm »
I noticed this in the manual for the 90DM600/610

AC voltage bandwidth:
45 Hz to 1 kHz (sinusoidal);
50/60 Hz (all waves).

That seems a bit odd.

Offline Artur.

« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2021, 05:10:37 pm »
Hey, would you go for the Amazon 90DM150 for some basic DC stuff its just 25$ here.
Or is there anything reasonable that is better in the 30$-50$ range that would make sense to spend more as the maximum I will be doing is check caps and resistors and do some basic voltage and current measurements on my DC cars.

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2021, 05:03:58 am »
with resolution 20000 or 22000 it would be the most universal , sometimes you really need to see it, like battery discharge 12.000 to 11.999 or so ...   40000 - kinda  unless on the cheapest side HP770D

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Amazon Doesn't Do Multimeters Now
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2022, 10:11:57 pm »
I just noticed Amazon Commercial axed their entire multimeter line up, and no longer have the CEM store. One expensive model 90DM890 remains USD $290. The products were on the website March 2022.
Ahh the politics of multimeters.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2022, 01:18:34 am »
They also have a couple of clamp meters in their Scientific & Industrial section.  The one for under $40 seems like a bargain.

Good to see another 6502 fan over here.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2022, 09:20:31 am »
90DM890 is available on Amazon.es at 117 E.
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B083V7S3ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sometimes there are promos at half of the price on the other sites in EU. I didn't checked US or CA.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2022, 06:08:22 pm »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:30:06 pm by Kosmic »

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2022, 08:26:34 pm »
90DM890 is now 72$ on amazon.com. 213.20$ or 75% rebate :D

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommercial-Heavy-Digital-Multimeter-Display/dp/B07VX431NK

Yup, can confirm, I snatched one ! It seems like they are destocking and they might no longer be available after that, seeing what happened to the rest of their multimeter line.

50000 points, data logging, some graphing features at $72, definitely worth it !

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2022, 10:06:10 pm »
Decent price for the specs.

Is the battery a standard battery?  It would be shame for it to go dead a few years down the road and then not be replaceable.
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2022, 11:02:18 pm »
Decent price for the specs.

Is the battery a standard battery?  It would be shame for it to go dead a few years down the road and then not be replaceable.

The specsheet says a NEDA 1604 battery, so it should be a standard rechargeable 9V battery.

Just looked at a disassembly video and it look like a custom battery.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:05:37 pm by Kosmic »

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2022, 07:38:45 am »
This is the battery.

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2022, 09:00:12 am »
It's gone!
Currently unavailable. At this price was a real bargain.

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2022, 02:35:53 pm »
This is the battery.
So, it looks like that battery has multiple source manufacturers.  It may be around for a while.

I missed out .. you snooze, you loose.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:48:18 pm by skander36 »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2022, 02:30:59 am »
Small detail about the 90DM890, the Bluethooth module is missing and the option is not in the setup menu. So, there's no way to connect to meter to phone or PC.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2022, 08:41:41 am »
DMM 90DM890 does not advertise bluetooth connection.
The original (CEM DT989) and the Peaktech P3440 have bluetooth connection.
So no BT, no IR, no TFcard for 90DM890.
Instead you can realtime plot the trend on device screen, which is a rare feature. The others meters need to be connected to a PC to do that. They can log (record) values and they can plot trending only on the end of the recordng. This meter also have recording function, along with graph (realtime plot).

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2022, 11:05:53 pm »
For 72 bucks, it's certainly "bang for the buck" and if you're in the market for a new decent meter, it seemed like a steal for that price.
I was quite close to jumping on this deal, like a week back at that 72 USD price, as there suddenly out of the blue was 1 unit left in stock (from otherwise being outsold) and with a fair shipping cost to Denmark +14USD (EU) .-- and a notice about no extra VAT or tariffs at delivery to Denmark (I highly doubt that)
and had it in my basket, and almost finalized/paid - but it does seem to add VAT (at least some estimated) and the final price seems to summon to around 109 USD, so quite a bit more. (+50%)

Though' after going through a few reviews and the fact that it seemed kind of slow to get a reading, and I was not even sure if it were a handicapped downgraded version where certain features, like Bluetooth, etc, were removed
I came to my senses - and if I really need yet another common multimeter, that does more or less the same thing.
- the 50k count and the onscreen graphing appealed to me and a cat-rating that seems loyal, but all my use cases is mains (230v) or low DC.
Decided to pass on it, and instead made an order for a Pico 4 VR, to try the world of this VR that some people seem to be fond of, as other parts of the household/family can also try that..
at 72 bucks for US residents for 90DM890, it was certainly a solid purchase, even with the lack of Bluetooth etc..but that wireless feature is pretty nice to have, though not sure how well implemented it is with the org. CEM BT app which I recall were some "of the shelf third-party app" that is being used under quite a few other brands.

2016 - 38 USD Owon 35series meter is using a somewhat halfbaked-app, though the update rate is pretty fast with its BLE signal with 2 or 3 times update per second // https://tinyurl.com/49v4avcu
and kind of nice you can graph out numerous graphs in different colors to compare values..but the X-Y interaction leaves a lot to be desired on that Owon app, though still a shame they have removed the Bluetooth-chip / UI-interface for the Amazon 90DC890 variant
Judging by Youtube videos about the Bluetooth app on these relative high-end CEMs' it's using an app called Meterbox BLE, which seems way worse than even Owon's old BLE app, so your not missing a lot, not having that BT module...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:14:16 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline elias87

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2023, 08:47:36 am »
Hello.. looking to buy my first multimeter and i am between this (or rather similar 90dm610) and aneng 870 or 8008.which one would you recommend for a beginner. I might need to measure mains. so I am looking something safe for maximum 40-50euro.any other multimeter to recommend? thank you.

Offline PatrickB

• Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2023, 03:22:25 pm »
I personally avoid purchasing products made in China whenever possible ............
And you would happily buy Japanese or German ?
We each have a different perspective based on experience, nationality, memory of past injustices and national pride.
:-+ :-+ :-+
Mine's French after they sunk the Rainbow Warrior while tied up at port in Auckland......wars have been started over less !
Do you have the Exocet model? (joking of course).

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2023, 09:40:13 pm »
Small detail about the 90DM890, the Bluethooth module is missing and the option is not in the setup menu. So, there's no way to connect to meter to phone or PC.

Why is there glue on the protection diodes?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2023, 12:56:58 am »

To stick the electrons in.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2023, 01:25:04 am »

They ran out of solder?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf