Author Topic: Amprobe (Bryman) AM120 teardown  (Read 4349 times)

Offline RobomedsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Amprobe (Bryman) AM120 teardown
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »
Just thought I would post some quick pictures of this Bryman based Amprobe meter.  Pretty nice meter.  The accuracy is very good.  The control feel isn’t bad at all.  The backlight is… well better than nothing.  The built in safety isn’t bad either but the case could feel a bit more robust. 

Anyway, this is clearly yet another of the Bryman designs that has been sold as an Extech, Greenlee, and who knows how many other brands.  At least it’s a generally good model.   Base accuracy is 0.08% DCV.  Certainly quite respectable.  The continuity test is a bit slow but not too bad.  It also has an optical out on the back.  Speaking of the back, plastic screws to hold the battery door in place.  Thumbs down.

It’s clear this meter was part of a family of Fluke 87 like meters that Bryman did and OEMed for other brands.  Most of the other versions were more rectangular and had a protective boot.  I’m not a big fan of the overmold instead of boot.  The overmold offers almost no additional protection.  It does perhaps improve gripping the meter but little else.  On the other hand it gets dirty and is hard to clean.  I am simply much happier with a real case or, well nothing.  The Fluke 87 would be very robust even without the case.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:41:55 pm by Robomeds »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Amprobe (Bryman) AM130 teardown
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:25:34 pm »
Thanks for another teardown and mini-review.  I see they skimped on the fuses a bit.

Did you try to see if buttons S5-S8 work?

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »
Seems to share a lot of similarities with the AM-270. This one seems has downgraded fuses (compared to the 270), but I believe it makes up for that with better accuracy.

Offline RobomedsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »
I did check to see if the unused button contacts worked.  Unlike some meters those unused contacts don't do anything.  If you notice there are some unused pins on the riser connector.  IIRC the main board under those pin holes does not have the corresponding connection. 

I've noticed that the AM2x0 series looks to be the same meter.  I really don't know what the differences are.  This one was part of a family with the 120, 130 and 150 (Note:  this was the 120, not 130, I've changed the title)
http://content.amprobe.com/DataSheets/am130trms.pdf

Given how many similar meters were OEMed I'm not sure which ones are which.  The AM270 and Am130 seem like the same meter.  I've also seen Greenlee, Extech, and other meters that are part of the same family. 

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Amprobe (Bryman) AM120 teardown
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:00 pm »
It looks to me to be the usual Brymen quality. It should last a long time and cause you no trouble. The lower rated fuse thing is and this should be considered whenever you want to measure current. Keep the voltage below 500V on current measurements. The other input protection is top notch. These really are great meters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf