Products > Test Equipment

analog scope - instek gos-620, advice needed

(1/4) > >>

EasyDoor:
Hi! First of all, as my first post here, I would like to introduce myself to the community.
My name is Izidor and I am 21 yo EE-to be, I had great passion towards science from young age, and last year or so I started my hobby- making/repairing guitar effects pedals, and audio amps... well basically audio electronics in general.

And I think it is time to finally get some kind of analog scope. On local auction website I came across GW INSTEK GOS-620 scope.

Bandwidth is really not an issue, for audio electronics, I am concerned on overall reliability and precision to money ratio.

It is priced for about 350$, several months old, + 1x1 and 1x10 probes included, but nevermind the price, in Croatia things like that tend to cost a bit more

so TL;DR : have you had any experiences and what do you think about this particular scope in general, is it worth a shot?

flolic:
That is waaay overpriced, but that's how it is in Croatia...  :P
I had exact that model few years ago and I sell it in 2009 for ~150$ + postage. In mint condition, with maybe 50 work hours.
Instead I bought Rigol DS1102E and that's miles above that analog Instek.

I would NOT recommend you that scope, maybe if you can find one for less than half that price (not gonna happen here...  :()

Welcome to the forum btw  ;)

EasyDoor:
Well, you didn't really give me any reasons why I shouldn't get it, except that rigol is better.

For my needs, that is audio electronics, I think that rigol you mentioned is a bit overkill, and beside their great performance (and god awful looks  :palm:) they just ain't got the groove like old green dot on the screen O0 (also I would rather have analog scope to be something I can learn on, don't wanna get spoiled by something too fancy for my first scope)

Anyway, thanks for the replay, thats why I came here in the first place I have really no experience with scopes beside the ones in my highschool and college labs

Another thing, I was convinced that analog scopes are in general better for audio electronics, am I mistaken? Also, more thoughts on GOS-620 please, I have to decide until this weekend whether buy it or not

Hydrawerk:
http://www.gwinstek.com/en/product/productdetail.aspx?pid=3&mid=6&id=75
Oh, this scope is too obsolete. It's like 1975's technology... It has no readouts, cursors or automatic measurements... In 2013, there is no reason to buy a 20MHz analog scope, unless you get it very cheap...
If you really want an analog scope, buy at least a more modern one... http://www.gwinstek.com/en/product/productdetail.aspx?pid=3&mid=6&id=60

Well, analog scope is like old CRT TV. Why not to use it if you own an old one and it still works, but I would never buy it today.

Salas:
I have used the 620 model enough at a friend's. Its not that great for waveform geometry. Skews enough especially beyond 2 divisions. Knobs are not too good either. Being into audio stuff myself too I would recommend you to aim at 100MHZ not 20MHZ. There will be riding oscillation bursts even in audio stuff that you can miss at 20MHZ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version