Author Topic: ANENG A3008 (6000 count ultra-compact pen-type DMM): Review, Photos and Teardown  (Read 10016 times)

Offline CymaphoreTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello,

for some time now I searched for a device similar to a two-pole voltage tester (Duspol) to use for private fiddeling in car and motorhome, trailer, caravan, etc. environments. Recently I found an interesting device from ANENG and purchased it for 16€:

ANENG A3008

* 170 x 24 x 21 mm in size, 50g light
  * detachable second test lead, 4mm shrouded plug
  * 6000 counts, very compact, 0.5% accuracy according to specification
  * Auto-Mode (voltage, resistance, continuity combined) and manual mode
  * Flashlight
  * Inverted multi-color LCD with permanent backlight on
  * Single R3 cell
  * NCV, phase sequence and capacitive live-wire detection
  * Voltage 0.001V to 1kV= / 700V~
  * Resistance 0.1 Ohm to 60 MOhm
  * Frequency 0.01 Hz to 10 MHz
  * Auto continuity / diode mode
  * Capacity 10 pF to 60 mF
  * Integrated temperature probe
  * HOLD-Function
  * APO

Ranges (spec):

* V=/V~: 6V, 60V, 600V (0.5%+4)
  * V=: 1000V (0.8%+10)
  * V~: 700V (0.8%+10)
  * R: 600Ohm (0.8+5), 6k, 60k, 600k, 6M (0.8%+3), 60M (2.5%+3)
  * C: 10nF, 100nF, 1µF, 10µF, 100µF, 1mF, 10mF (3.5%+20), 60mF (5%+3)
  * T: -20°C ... 50°C (1°C res, 1.0%+5); °F available as well
  * Frequency: 0.01 Hz to 10 MHz, no ranges or precision specified in the manual

Reaction time:

Sample rate: 3/s

In auto mode, the voltage readings are fast and continuity is delayed by about a second. Resistance readings are delayed by the same amount of time.

In manual mode, voltage readings never take longer than about half a second, resinstance takes about a second, continuity buzzer reacts in about 20ms and is latched.

Full ranging of resistance takes about a second or so.

Capacitance test takes about 3-4s and takes a couple of readings to settle down at higher values.

Display:

Display works well from different viewing angels. It works fine in dark environments (display light always on), but becomes very hard to impossible to read with direct sunlight on it (see images). The should've put in the old-fashioned normal LCD instead of the "fancy" inverted one with colors.

Precision:

Environment at ~23.5°C, all devices involved rested at this condition for >1h

Test voltages from an AD584JH reference, test resistors are 0.1% parts. Comparison done against my up-to-date ISO-calibrated BENNING MM12, high voltage tests performed using an APPA 605.

If not stated otherwise, I first measured using the A3008 and afterwards I made a confirmation reading using the MM 12. The MM12 comparison readings are noted in brackets.

Voltage measurements:

* 2.5V: 2.497V (MM12: 2.4984V)
  * 5.0V: 4.999V (MM12: 5.000V)
  * 7.5V: 7.49V (MM12: 7.499V)
  * 10V: 9.99V (MM12: 10.000V)

Resistance measurements:

* 100 Ohm: 100.5 Ohm (MM12: 100.07 Ohm)
  * 1k: 1.001k (MM12: 1.0012k)
  * 10k: 9.98k (MM12: 9.997k)
  * 100k: 99.9k (MM12: 100.02k)

Capacitance:

Since I have no good reference I used two capacitors I had nearby.

* 22 µF Elko: 21.94 µF (MM12: 21.90 µF)
  * 39 nF Ceramic: 39.3 nF (MM12: 39.12 nF)

Diode tester:

Open circuit voltage: 3.9512V

Si-Diode 1: 0.537V (MM12: 0.523V)
Si-Diode 2: 0.587V (MM12: 0.571V)

Input resistance in auto-mode is 10.91 MOhm, in manual Voltage-Mode it is 9.998 MOhm.

Short-Current in Auto-Mode and capacitance / continuity is 0.160 mA

Phase sequence works well.

It is very noticable when the integrated relais is switching.

There is no shielding and you can operate the relais externally using a magnet :-)

I tested the frequency, but only against slow function-generator sources and the grid. Readings seem reasonable and match my MM12 pretty much exactly (1 digit deviation from time to time).

Power consumption:

No problem to operate it using a rechargable NiMH-Cell. Device operates normally down to around 0.7V to 0.6V. All measurements were stable and precise at the lowest voltage possible.

Input current at 1.5V:

* Off: 0.017 mA
  * Auto: 20.310 mA
  * Buzzer: 50.491 mA
  * Manual mode voltage: 20.997 mA
  * Capacitance mode: 20.240 mA
  * Diote / tester: 23.271 mA
  * Thermometer: 21.309 mA
  * Auto with flashlight on: 25.564 mA

Input current in auto mode at different cell voltage levels:

* 1.3V: 24.60 mA
  * 1.2V: 27.31 mA
  * 1.1V: 30.67 mA
  * 1.0V: 34.01 mA
  * 0.9V: 38.36 mA
  * 0.8V: 47.10 mA
  * 0.7V: 52.64 mA
  * 0.6V: 44.31 mA
  * 0.5V: 23.21 mA (dropping out)
  * 0.4V: Power off (still consumes 10m!)

Important: Even when running out of enough cell voltage and goes dark, it continues to draw energy. I din't test if APO still kicks in in that case.

I never saw any low-battery-warning whatsoever...

All in all based on that numbers it should be able to run at least about 28h on an 900mAh NiMH cell (like the VARTA endless I regularly use).

Safety:

I performed a series of high voltage tests on it. The pen had to measure 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000V= provided by my insulation tester for at least 60s each.

After the test I repeated the calibration check against the voltage ref and resistors, no error or deviation could be noticed.

In brackets I mention the measured resistance of the APPA605 while running the "insulation test", including the different voltages:

* 55.10 V (APPA605: 55V, Reporting 10.10 MOhm)
  * 109.1 V (APPA605: 110V, Reporting 10.00 MOhm)
  * 274.7 V (APPA605: 275V, Reporting 9.99 MOhm)
  * 523.7 V (APPA605: 525V, Reporting 9.97 MOhm)
  * OL (APPA605: 1050V, Reporting 9.98 MOhm), no reading from A3008, device continuously beeps (exceeding maximum rated voltage)

While the device behaved correctly above 1kV, I would highly recommend not to use it regularly at more than 50V~ / 120V=, better stay below the 30/60 boundary to be sure.

There is barely any input protection in it by what I can tell. They cut virtually everything down but the essential measurement circuits to make it that small and light. Components on the PCB are partially cramped and I would not like to find out what happens when it gets dirty inside (could happen with that kind of a casing) and you measure higher voltages.

Second probe is rated CATIII 1000V with PVC-cable and shrouded plug (banana plug even has a plastic tip).

Probe tip covers included and removeable.

Suitable applications:

* Fiddeling with your knight rider, spacey motorhome and similar hobby applications
  * Occasional electronic projects
  * It's very portable and doesn't waste space in a backpack
  * Checking LEDs
  * Continuity testing

Unsuitable applications:

* Applications with voltages exeeding 50V~ / 120V= (better stay below 60V= / 30V~ to be safe)
  * Measuring in environments >CATI
  * Detect live voltage / voltage tester (no operation without batteries, no relibable HV-indication, not sutable for the task overall). Never ever use it for that, it can't be trusted.
  * Measuring in high power circuits
  * Measuring phase sequence, since it's not safe to use it in an area where there is a phase sequence to be measured :-)
  * Don't operate it in proximity to strong magnetic fields or sources of strong electromagnetic interference

Included:

...with the package I got (boxed edition)

* Croc clamp (nice to clip the second probe line to ground or something)
  * Alternative measurement tips for the device (they can be screwed in in place of the default one). The thread is longer than the insert, but they work fine.
  * Manual

Overall conclusion:

Not bad, I hate to say it, but overall I like it. It's very compact, lightweight and not bulky. The display is in a good spot, it measures fast and precise and you don't need the manual to operate it.

Best regards,
Martin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:36:11 pm by Cymaphore »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, PatRC, rorymax, mjk64

• Regular Contributor
Now I also got the ANENG A3007. It's virtually identical to the A3008 in all but two points:

• No phase sequence measurement
  • Normal LCD Display

The display light can be turned on using the 2nd button and works well.

In natural daylight (direct sunlight), the LCD Display is very readable and has a reasonable viewing angle (the first couple of images attached to this post).

Unfortunately, unlike the A3008, it is rather disappointing indoors: The viewing angel is extremely limited with artificial light sources (LED light) and with it's integrated backlight on. Seemingly they didn't get the filters correct.

It's usable, but unhandy. You frequently have to change to viewing angle when using it indoors to be able to read it. Backlight turns itself off a bit to quick for my taste (personally I prefer a backlight that stays on unless I manually turn it off)

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Regular Contributor
The A3007 and A3008 share the same PCB. If you close the Jumper as highlighted in the picture you can functionally turn the A3007 into an A3008 (and vice versa).

Backlight will stay permanently on and it will offer phase sequence detection. However the phase sequence will most likely not function, because the required IC is missing (didn't test it).

I also added the capacitors (smaller value due to the physical size). Only noticable difference: An almost unnoticeable impact of the buzzer on the backlight is gone. Maybe there is another reason why the capacitors might be handy, but that's outside of my knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: rorymax

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: rorymax

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
Any long term use reviews or info?

Looks like a nice tool for the backpack or pocket.

Thanks!

Offline Gvol

Unexpectedly, pleasantly, the dmm measures the temperature with a K-type thermocouple when connected to the terminals. Great pros!  :)
And in theory, I am thinking that it is possible to install a switchable resistor inside in series with the terminals, and then in the voltmeter mode it will be possible to measure the current. A resistance of 1 ohm will give 1:1 resolution, 0.1 will give 1:10 but less voltage drop. If the resistor is about 3k ohms, then this can be used as a LowZ voltmeter, which can be useful for example for automotive electrics.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:15:47 am by Gvol »

Offline SynthKeyWizard

• Contributor
Backlight turns itself off a bit to quick for my taste (personally I prefer a backlight that stays on unless I manually turn it off)

If you hold a HOLD button a few seconds more, then backlight will stay on forever (until powering off).

Offline SynthKeyWizard

• Contributor
However the phase sequence will most likely not function, because the required IC is missing (didn't test it).

Phase sequence works, I just tested it. In fact, you can turn A3007 into A3008 just simply adding a jumper.

https://youtu.be/68elnFjP948
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 12:39:13 pm by SynthKeyWizard »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf