Author Topic: ANENG goes crazy with new meters  (Read 48560 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: ANENG goes crazy with new meters
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2020, 07:08:04 pm »
I got it from the Aneng official store, thus moderately safe. However, they sent a message saying the epacket shipping method chosen by me was having severe delays and asked me to switch the shipping method to Aliexpress standard shipping or something like that. This message arrived during the night here and, when I got to it, they told me they had delivered this to the courier and couldn't be changed anymore.

The Ruoshui official store mentioned the same problem, but I caught the message in time and ended up cancelling the order.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2020, 08:39:17 pm »
I ordered a meter from Aneng Factory Store on Taobao, and got it here (the UK) directly in under 2 weeks. Maybe that is more effective than go through a third party seller?

I believe many Chinese sellers don't have stocks. They advertise stuff and if somebody orders one they go to the downtown market to try and find one. If they can't find one... they'll try again later.

Buying directly from the Aneng Official Store is probably better.

Offline rernexy

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2020, 02:59:10 am »
I got it from the Aneng official store, thus moderately safe. However, they sent a message saying the epacket shipping method chosen by me was having severe delays and asked me to switch .....

They (Aneng Official Store on aliexpress) sent me the same message; that was for an order of 4 meters on November 8th. The package arrived on December 4th.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 02:16:17 pm »
Well, after around 7 weeks, it seems there's a package arriving soon; it's got to within 58 miles of my house anyway according to FedEx!

With luck like this, there may even be a Q10 in the package.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:25 pm »
 :=\
Well, after around 7 weeks, it seems there's a package arriving soon; it's got to within 58 miles of my house anyway according to FedEx!

With luck like this, there may even be a Q10 in the package.
Gandalf, congratulations! Mine is still either in a ship in the middle of the ocean or on its bottom. I still have 37 days to consider it lost for good.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2021, 02:43:47 pm »
My FedEx tracking now says "Out for Delivery".  I already raised a PayPal case although I have been  recently unimpressed with PayPal's buyer protection but, if you don't follow their process rules, you fall off the table and your claim is lost. 

I recently bought a "new" guitar from ProAudioStar that was clearly used (open box, had scratches, and a broken string) and paid using PayPal.  When the item arrived I complained to ProAudioStar and got no response so I raised a claim with PayPal who said I had to return the guitar (at my expense) for a full refund.  Shipping would have been at least $50 so I then managed to have an online chat with ProAudioStar who apologized and offered me a $75 partial refund which I accepted.  I passed the transcript of that chat to PayPal but they immediately closed the case without contacting me. I contacted PayPal again and they said they would reopen the case but they haven't.

So I raised the claim with PayPal for my meter not received because you have to claim within a certain timeframe (which I'm now outside) but, if the meter arrives defective or broken or they send me something else like a TV remote 'condom' (that has actually happened to me), I might be able to get my money back. 

[EDIT] It arrived and looks good.  The packaging was non-existent, just the Q10 box inside a plastic shipping bag.  I'll post some pictures soon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:01:00 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2021, 07:59:57 pm »
OK, here are the pics.  The first one where it looks like the screen is cracked on the Q10 is just a reflection.

The 5.001 display is the Q10 connected to my DMM Check +, seems nuts on for Volts DC and mA anyway.  The rotary switch has a nice easy feel to it and the meter was smaller than I expected but I really like the size.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Fungus

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:13 pm »
Congratulations, Gandalf! It is indeed a good looking meter.

In my case, Aneng Official Store insists they shipped the meter, but there are absolutely zero updates on the tracking. Oh well... In about a month I will dispute and leave a bad review in case the meter is a no-show.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:05 pm »
What's the Q10 stand like?  The LCD characters look smaller than the AN8008.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2021, 12:29:39 am »
What's the Q10 stand like?  The LCD characters look smaller than the AN8008.

Maybe smaller but possibly more contast?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2021, 02:23:27 pm »
Guys, the stand is just a flap of plastic, a larger version of the AN8008 arrangement really but it is fine.  There's a battery box under the flap that takes 3 x AAAs.  Here's a couple more pictures for you which show the stand as well as the nice clear display.  I agree that the digits are ever so slightly smaller than the AN8008's but, overall, the display is clear and bright; contrast is great too.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2021, 04:47:46 pm »
What's the black piece on the top?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2021, 05:56:36 pm »
What's the black piece on the top?
The one nearest to the camera is the NCV sensor, the far one is the LED flashlight.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:46 pm »
Gandalf, thanks for the photos. The display illumination seems much more evenly distributed than the ones I have seen and reviewed. Pretty cool.

I like the reverse LCD for the work in the attic and other darker areas. It is also much easier to read as I age.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2021, 08:05:05 am »
The display illumination seems much more evenly distributed than the ones I have seen and reviewed.

I think he just got lucky with the exposure on that photo. The other one is probably closer to the truth:

I don't own one (yet) but I imagine they're easier to read than standard LCDs indoors with regular lighting. I'm more worried about battery use and longevity of the LEDS (how hard are they driving them?)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:34:32 am by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:11 am »
Gandalf: How many mA does it guzzle with that display? How many LEDs does it  have?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:59 am »
Fungus, the display is bright, clear, perfect contrast, and awesome. As I said before, the picture you reposted is due to my crap photography skills and lots of reflected light in my workshop.

I will check the current draw and get back to you.  When you say how many LEDs, do you mean backlight for the display?  There is one LED for the flashlight which is the usual cheap bluish-white, I see that as a gimmick really.

I really like the Q10 so far, the size is what I like most about it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2021, 11:54:47 am »
I will check the current draw and get back to you.  When you say how many LEDs, do you mean backlight for the display?

Yep. I'm trying to find out how hard they're driving the LEDs, ie. Current draw / number of LEDs.

Second question would be if there's a DC booster inside it or if they're driven directly by the batteries. Is there anything that looks like a DC booster on the PCB? (small IC with an inductor right next to it where the battery connects to the board)

One way to find out would be if the current draw goes up as the battery voltage goes down.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:12 am »

Yep, it looks like a nice meter. I really want one but I'm fighting the urge - I already have a drawer full of ANENGS.

The one thing that bothers me is having the Ohms/Continuity/Diode/Capacitance all on the same selector position

(but my AN870 also does that  |O )

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2021, 02:53:08 pm »

Yep, it looks like a nice meter. I really want one but I'm fighting the urge - I already have a drawer full of ANENGS.

If you get to one full drawer of Anengs it’s like having 19 oscilloscopes, you have reached par and earn the merit badge for that category.  Some merit badges are more impressive than others and I’m not saying that a drawer full of Anengs is as cool as 19 oscilloscopes but a TEA merit badge is a TEA merit badge and I think with 21 merit badges you are a TEA Eagle Scout.  :)

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2021, 01:17:33 am »

If you get to one full drawer of Anengs it’s like having 19 oscilloscopes, you have reached par and earn the merit badge for that category.  Some merit badges are more impressive than others and I’m not saying that a drawer full of Anengs is as cool as 19 oscilloscopes but a TEA merit badge is a TEA merit badge and I think with 21 merit badges you are a TEA Eagle Scout.  :)
Damn... I am well past beyond that, but I have been resisting bravely to join the ranks... Got to keep the denial as much as I can!  :-/O

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2021, 11:55:13 pm »
I tested the Q10 current draw today, it was 23 mA which is kind of high but it should get about 40 hours continuous operation from a set of AAA batteries.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:47 am »
I tested the Q10 current draw today, it was 23 mA which is kind of high but it should get about 40 hours continuous operation from a set of AAA batteries.

:-+

There's definitely more than one LED in the screen (maybe four...?) so even if it has a DC booster the max current through any given LED can't be more then about 10mA. Probably more like 5mA.

Seems like a nice meter overall, a decent step up from the old AN800n models.  :-DMM

(must resist the temptation... )

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:53:15 am by Fungus »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2021, 11:39:50 am »
Use the force, let go Fungus...   :-DMM

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2021, 03:07:01 pm »
(must resist the temptation... )

Nice, readable display, but the AAA batteries is a deal-breaker for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf