Author Topic: ANENG goes crazy with new meters  (Read 48733 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: ANENG goes crazy with new meters
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2023, 10:49:55 am »
See how many you recognize: https://zotektools.com/products/
I wrote about it. Only I don’t understand why there is no ZT-225 multimeter on the official ZOTEK website?
The ZT-Y2 is not there as well.

IMO the logic is clear: why spend money with web designers in an URL that most probably gets hit at a much lower ratio when compared to a behemoth such as Aliexpress? Just improve the product information on some of your key distributors and use the platform to promote your product.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2023, 07:56:14 pm »
Overview of the clone Zoyi ZT-225: https://mysku.club/blog/aliexpress/94958.html
Not really a clone, I think. It looks like it's the same meter, manufactured at the same factory and branded individually for whoever is willing to pay for their branding.

Zoyi are the OEM for these meters. Everybody else is the rebrander.

See how many you recognize: https://zotektools.com/products/

I thought Zoyi is the OEM and BSIDE, Aneng, Zotek are private labels. It seems done differently in china, where the OEM does small changes to differentiate between what is essentially the same design. The private labels are doing marketing, packaging, branding I think.

I tried a MESTEK and it's a bit higher quality build, it appears Shenzhen Mestek Electronics Co., Ltd. is another OEM.

Offline pavlik222

« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2023, 09:31:05 am »
 :palm:

Offline Eraldo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2024, 05:48:55 pm »
Does anyone have an image of the rotary switch design on the aneng sz20. Have they implemented the one similar to fluke and other meters like brymen or do they use the ball bearings with the springs.

I really am not a fan of those since they are not reliable in my experience.

Aneng 870 (20000 uV meter) has a nice implementation like the brymen, even though a bit stiff as per some reviews

Offline Astur_TorQue

« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2024, 09:41:19 am »
Just wonder...

Why is safety so important in a meter that costs 10 dollar? Why not just take it for what it is? In my opinion a godd and sheap number two meter for use in car/boat or in DC circuits off grid.

You don't need a Fluke 289 for measuring a 12V battery or continuity in a DC circuit.

But i'm agreed that everyone that has electronic as hobby must have at least ONE good meter. But as number two meter, i think Aneng Q10 and AN 8009 is good meters.

Comparisions are hateful...

Zoyi 703S:

Fluke 289:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:43:31 am by Astur_TorQue »

Offline Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2024, 10:04:14 am »
What are both pictures about to tell?

Of course, the Fluke has better protection - definitely no discussion necessary.

But else? Fluke needs more components, it´s larger, it uses more expensive PCB-basematerial?

People, don't be ridiculous about multimeter safety. 50 Years ago everyone worked with analouge meters with just a glas fuse in the current range, and death by exploding multimeter is not the main story people talk about at family parties.

Of course, if you want to work on mains lines then you either should be allowed to do that and then you usually have an expensive meter. If you do it as your hobby, then probably the meter is the smallest risk for your life...

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22, Atlan

Offline Astur_TorQue

« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2024, 10:16:55 am »
What are both pictures about to tell?

Of course, the Fluke has better protection - definitely no discussion necessary.

But else? Fluke needs more components, it´s larger, it uses more expensive PCB-basematerial?

People, don't be ridiculous about multimeter safety. 50 Years ago everyone worked with analouge meters with just a glas fuse in the current range, and death by exploding multimeter is not the main story people talk about at family parties.

Of course, if you want to work on mains lines then you either should be allowed to do that and then you usually have an expensive meter. If you do it as your hobby, then probably the meter is the smallest risk for your life...

Basically the electronics are way better.. more components always means better safety/quality/accurate signal... they are expensive? of course.. most people need these? At all! But it's undeniable at first glance when you see both PCBs where is the difference...

Fluke extremely expensive for that amount of components? Sure, there are motherboards with double or triple those SMD componentes, but the difference is still there

Offline Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2024, 10:33:42 am »
More components always means better safety/quality/accurate signal...

Interesting conclusion... So a piston aircraft engine is always much better than a jet engine because of the number of parts???

Don't get me wrong, Fluke has great quality and they don't use this number of components just for fun. But Zoyi & co also performed greatly by providing quite a lot of multimeter for little money. That´s also a very legit and very welcome development target.

Offline Astur_TorQue

« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2024, 11:12:59 am »

Interesting conclusion... So a piston aircraft engine is always much better than a jet engine because of the number of parts???

Don't get me wrong, Fluke has great quality and they don't use this number of components just for fun. But Zoyi & co also performed greatly by providing quite a lot of multimeter for little money. That´s also a very legit and very welcome development target.

Well in a motherboard, the more phases you use, the more stabilised/perfect the proper voltage is... I imagine if you use more components, the accuracy should be higher.. it would be idiot using more components than needed just for "pleasure"

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2024, 11:15:55 am »
Well in a motherboard, the more phases you use, the more stabilised/perfect the proper voltage is... I imagine if you use more components, the accuracy should be higher.. it would be idiot using more components than needed just for "pleasure"
What's the point? Yes, the Flukes are more advanced, capable, reliable and expensive meters. Nobody argued with that.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2024, 11:53:10 am »

It doesn't work that way. I can design you a board with a hundred discrete TTL gates and analog switches, and do the same job as an integrated ADC with worse accuracy.

Offline Astur_TorQue

« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2024, 12:53:15 pm »
(must resist the temptation... )

Nice, readable display, but the AAA batteries is a deal-breaker for me.

While they don't came with 9V (6LR61), no problem if AA, AAA or 18650

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2024, 06:24:13 pm »

And people rode cars without seat belts, motorcycles without helmets, etc....
Rules and regulations are written in blood and usually have a reason. Meters being sold with lies on them about their safety is a big problem IMHO. People being aware of what is safe, or not, is a good thing. Ignoring rules just because ancient apes didn't have rules is not a good thing.

A problem about having a poorly built meter lying around is that people get lazy and might think "well just this time I will be OK" and then the next time and the next time until they get complacent. Another problem is with people who don't know better and believe the claims made on the ratings and safety on the multimeter and use it without thought that it might be a lie. Then there are some people who ignore any safety and properly made or no it won't save them.

This thread is a sticky for a reason. It may be out of date for current models but the reasons and information still are valid.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-list-of-multimeters-that-do-not-appear-to-meet-their-claimed-safety-specs/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:26:44 pm by Lightages »

Offline Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: April 19, 2024, 06:42:18 am »

And people rode cars without seat belts, motorcycles without helmets, etc....
Rules and regulations are written in blood and usually have a reason. Meters being sold with lies on them about their safety is a big problem IMHO. People being aware of what is safe, or not, is a good thing. Ignoring rules just because ancient apes didn't have rules is not a good thing.

Definitely no discussion necessary - safety evolution is a great thing and without any of it at least half of this forum would probably be dead.

A problem about having a poorly built meter lying around is that people get lazy and might think "well just this time I will be OK"

Sorry for being polemic here, but MAYBE the future of civilization would be even more granted if people do not absolutely arbitrarily plug in everything everywhere - at least on job sites. THINK before putting something on mains, and if you can't do that, then stay away 1m or more!

Of course, in companies with shared accident responsibility it´s different. There I also always recommend good equipment becuase luckily companies I work at can afford it. But if someone can't really afford it, I´d never complain about a "bad" DMM just laying around.

Or another provocative example: Bad luck can make your "wall wart" SMPS explode like a cheap DMM. Do you also equip *each* low power application with at least a CAT II fuse or charge your smartphone with a flashover suit?

This thread is a sticky for a reason. It may be out of date for current models but the reasons and information still are valid.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-list-of-multimeters-that-do-not-appear-to-meet-their-claimed-safety-specs/

This list is great, but because manufacturers are more or less lying about their products. Sometimes they lie so much that it is more than obvious - like a small €6-meter I have on my bench that is labeled as CAT IV 600V. I´m quite sure it´d be quite an incandescent device at the specified high voltage spike.
But others seem to be more beefy outside and aren't inside. These can really be dangerous e.g. at construction sites and there the list really may save lifes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:53:26 am by Phil1977 »

Online FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2024, 08:14:23 am »
Flukes aren't magical. Procedure and knowledge is at least as important as the meter when it comes to safety.

The "safety" discussion has been done a thousand times on EEVBLOG and nobody ever changed their position AFAIK.

Getting back on topic: ANENG hasn't made an interesting new meter for years...  :(

The following users thanked this post: Phil1977

Online FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2024, 08:24:02 am »
This list is great, but because manufacturers are more or less lying about their products. Sometimes they lie so much that it is more than obvious - like a small €6-meter I have on my bench that is labeled as CAT IV 600V.

The lying isn't ideal, but:
a) Anybody who knows what "CAT IV 600V" is wouldn't believe it, and

b) Anybody who doesn't know it's a lie isn't going to be saved by them taking it off.

My (purely empirical) observation is that Harbor Freight has been giving away millions of DT830s for decades and there's no trail of dead bodies across the country.

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2024, 08:49:00 am »
This list is great, but because manufacturers are more or less lying about their products. Sometimes they lie so much that it is more than obvious - like a small €6-meter I have on my bench that is labeled as CAT IV 600V.

The lying isn't ideal, but:
a) Anybody who knows what "CAT IV 600V" is wouldn't believe it, and

b) Anybody who doesn't know it's a lie isn't going to be saved by them taking it off.

My (purely empirical) observation is that Harbor Freight has been giving away millions of DT830s for decades and there's no trail of dead bodies across the country.

That's exactly it. I'd like to see statistics on how many people have died as a direct result of using an AN870 instead of a Fluke in household applications.

My guess is 0.

And if you think you should do anything above CAT II with a $20 meter, then you're in God's hands anyway.

Yes, they shouldn't lie about the specs, but let's not spread FUD.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2024, 08:40:43 pm »
At least in Germany one should not do anything that need more than a CAT 2 meter without proper training. However reality is a different thing and there are cases that electrical jobs are done also from people who lack the training.  An unsafe meter is a problem especially for beginners - part of the proper training is to avoid situations where one really relies on the meter quality.  So a professional is less at risk from an unsafe meter.  There are not many accidents from unsafe meters, but even just a few are too many.  There no excuse for giving false CAT ratings - that is just plain stupid.

It is good the European customs at least sometimes cares about the regulation and stops some of the unsafe meters. A bit confusing there are sometimes even different meter versions for the EU and other markets (e.g. from uni-T): the EU version can have the better fuse and still the lower and more realistic CAT rating.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2024, 05:58:51 pm »
[...] Yes, they shouldn't lie about the specs, but let's not spread FUD.

Let's also not spread confidence, certainty, conviction, faith in products with fraudulent, fake safety claims.
With china you simply don't know what they are selling.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf