Author Topic: Another Multimeter - Already Have The Protek 608  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
    • Lynx-India - Visit Us For Not So Boring Electronic Instruments
Another Multimeter - Already Have The Protek 608
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:30 pm »
Hi All ,
     I Have The Protek 608 And Love The Beast .Here is The Photo And Some specs you can see  .The Features of this multimeter are

Features:
  • DC accuracy 0.05%
  • Low voltage Ohms measurement and conductance
  • Auto and software calibration
  • Dual back-lit display and K type thermocouple
  • Measures duty cycle, pulse width and conductance
  • Compare function for go-no go testing
  • Peak detection for capturing high speed signals
  • Binary bit expression bargraph
  • AC and AC + DC true RMS AC voltage and current measurements
  • Auto/manual ranging
  • Test zener diodes up to 20 volts
  • Min/Max/Avg relative modes
  • Memory store and recall
  • Fuse protected current ranges
  • Cat II 600V and CE approved

The Specs Are Here To Download -> PDF Attached To Thread

I already have good analog multimeters and i would like to have 1 more digital multimeter .I do not need a bench type meter i have no space i am looking for a handheld one  .I like the Agilent U1253B And Also the fluke 289 .Can you pour your suggestion .So many of you have good gear here .I also have a few multimeters that i would not like to mention but one of them of particular interest could be this - >   http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=18346 .I gave this to my repair tech and they have really !@#!#!# the multimeters appearance ,Though it Works .I somehow can not open this multimeter up at all ,It looks sealed  .
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]
My Electronics Blog - > www.lynxchandigarh.com

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
Re: Another Multimeter - Already Have The Protek 608
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
@ All,
     Hi A Fluke 289 or a Agilent u1253b ?
 |O
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:02:46 pm by Amarbir[Lynx-India] »
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:39:19 pm »
I have an Agilent U1252B (LCD screen instead of OLED), and it's a very nice HH meter. Went with this one over the U1253B due to better battery life, and haven't regretted it at all.

It's less expensive than the Fluke 289 (see the 289 for ~$600 in the US <bare meter> vs. $419 for the U1252B), and also offers more value IMHO, particularly if you find that a Bluetooth adapter is included in that price. The software itself is a free download from Agilent. Worst case and you have to buy an adapter to connect it to a PC, it's far cheaper than the FVF kit Fluke sells.

That said, what sort of accuracy & features are you after?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »
You are asking a rather opened ended question. What are you looking for? The absolute best regardless of price? Better accuracy? Something with higher safety ratings?

You can't go wrong with a high end Fluke, except for price. You can't go wrong with Agilent, except for price. You can't go wrong with Brymen, except for lack of history and reputation.  You can't go wrong with Gossen, except for the very high price. UEi makes a very nice meter at $240USD. Metrix makes a very high end meter and mjlorton likes his. IMHO, those are the top to look at. All the other brands are of diminishing quality and safety, or are relabeled version of some of the above.

So what are you looking for in a meter?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »
Well,
       I Might be the first one but i am stating a full fledged review lab in my native indian language in india .Some people can check some of my videos -> www.lynxchandigarh.com .I am looking for a meter i could reference to when i am comparing meters .Secondly i am into repairs and my protek 608 has spoiled me i cannot settle for anything less satisfying then that .I also got very impressed with certain CEM meters .

cem website -> http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/pro/sort7-1.html 
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »
Can you be more specific about features & specs?

Still rather confusing ATM.  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:52 pm »
Can you be more specific about features & specs?

Still rather confusing ATM.  :-//

Sir ,
 Min 50000 Count Or Better handheld .Specs Like Fluke/Agilent Models I specified  .
Regards

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:40 pm »
Well if you want something similar to the Fluke 289, there isn't much that can match it for features an specs and reliability. If $600USD is making you pause, then perhaps you are looking for less expensive alternatives.

The Agilent you mentioned uses an organic LED display and drains batteries like crazy. IMHO opinion the 1252B is a much better buy and I would buy it over the Fluke 289 for a reference meter as it is almost $200 less expensive.

If you are looking for an even less expensive alternative, it is hard to beat the Brymen BM869. It lacks internal logging but at $240 it is a solid performer and is CAT IV/1000 rated.

The final one I am going to mention, and probably the best buy of all, the UEi DM397. At $240, it includes a meter with almost any feature you could want, high accuracy like the rest, plus it comes with the PC cable and software for that price. For all the others it is an added expense.

If you want to spend more than the Fluke 298, then look at Dave's reviews of the Gossens, and mjlorton's review of his Metrix.

Not much else to say here....... except:

CEM is the OEM for some Extech meters, and for many other rebrands. The quality control has been abysmal. I would stay away.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:54:14 pm by Lightages »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:36 pm »
Sir ,
 Min 50000 Count Or Better handheld .Specs Like Fluke/Agilent Models I specified  .
Then I'd recommend looking at the Fluke 287/9, Agilent U1252/3B, or the Brymen BM867/9A models (rebranded a lot, but probably cheaper to get one with Brymen's own label on it). All are 50,000 counts, but depending on the price available to you, the Agilent may be a better bargain. If you're not set on a dual display, then the Brymen BM85x series would be worth looking into.

Specifically, here in the US, the Brymen would have to be purchased either from Europe or rebranded generally speaking (occasional deals on eBay), pushing the total cost up to what the Agilent U1252B goes for. And if the Agilent includes a means of connecting to the PC, then the Agilent offers more value (and that's not getting into things such as support).

Regarding CEM, I'm with Lightages on this one, and would stay away. Far away.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:27:15 am »
Thanks Lightages and Nanofrog ,
       I Am not bothered about the battery life .I find The Oled display very good for the area i work in .I can buy either of the two Fluke 289 Or The Agilent U1253B .My Heart Wants a Agilent  %-B
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
Thanks Lightages and Nanofrog ,
       I Am not bothered about the battery life .I find The Oled display very good for the area i work in .I can buy either of the two Fluke 289 Or The Agilent U1253B .My Heart Wants a Agilent  %-B
I suspect you'd be quite pleased with either, so if you're after the OLED pr0n, I figure why not.  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 03:07:23 pm »
I suspect you'd be quite pleased with either, so if you're after the OLED pr0n, I figure why not.  ;)

>:D ,
      Evil statement Right From The Heart  :-DD
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »

>:D ,
      Evil statement Right From The Heart  :-DD
Absolutely.  >:D  ^-^

Downside though, since it seems you're addicted to 50,000 count meters, you'll still drool over the Fluke anyway.  :o So to satisfy that addiction, you'd need to get both.  %-B

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »
Absolutely.  >:D ^-^

Downside though, since it seems you're addicted to 50,000 count meters, you'll still drool over the Fluke anyway.  :o So to satisfy that addiction, you'd need to get both.  %-B

Well ,
 Its even More funny ,Cos Once i Buy The Oled Agilent i Am Sure I Will Buy the fluke too  |O .God USD 1000 Down The Drain  >:D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:14:06 pm by Amarbir[Lynx-India] »
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:46 pm »
Well ,
 Its even More funny ,Cos Once i Buy The Oled Agilent i Am Sure I Will Buy the fluke too  |O .God USD 1000 Down The Drain  >:D
Sadly,

1. Electronics is an addictive hobby.
2. It's also an expensive hobby.

What's wrong with us?  :o   :P

As per cost, I presume it would be worse than $1k given your location, but I hope I'm wrong on this.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:35 pm »
Well,
     You folks have no idea what i go through to sell quality gear in india .If you check my website www.lynx-india.com you will know what i am saying .
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:21 pm »
Well,
     You folks have no idea what i go through to sell quality gear in india .If you check my website www.lynx-india.com you will know what i am saying .
I would expect importation to cause difficulties for example, particularly in the ability to place a reasonable price on a product (one that the local market can tolerate, and you still make enough on it to remain in business).  :'(

As per the Agilent or Fluke's discussed, I presumed this was a personal purchase. Are you actually planning to import them for sale through your webstore?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:10 am »
I would expect importation to cause difficulties for example, particularly in the ability to place a reasonable price on a product (one that the local market can tolerate, and you still make enough on it to remain in business).  :'(

As per the Agilent or Fluke's discussed, I presumed this was a personal purchase. Are you actually planning to import them for sale through your webstore?

Well,
      We Already Have Fluke And agilent in India Officially .But Those Lollipop Ebay Bargains Are Only In US of A  .I Have a office in Torrance,CA USA and i send all my goods there if i buy bargains and then reimport to india  .
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »
Well,
      We Already Have Fluke And agilent in India Officially .But Those Lollipop Ebay Bargains Are Only In US of A  .I Have a office in Torrance,CA USA and i send all my goods there if i buy bargains and then reimport to india  .
I would have expected Fluke and Agilent to have a Distributor there, just rather expensive (i.e. single source, so they have customers over a barrel figuratively speaking).

Being able to buy in the US and export/import to yourself seems a very nice solution.  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »

I would have expected Fluke and Agilent to have a Distributor there, just rather expensive (i.e. single source, so they have customers over a barrel figuratively speaking).

Being able to buy in the US and export/import to yourself seems a very nice solution.  ;D

Well,
      Its a good solution .This is how i get 50% of my quality gear to india for reselling.I just nailed the following last two days have a peek

1 :  Protek 608 -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/271170710849
2 : BK Precision " aka elnec " Programemr 844USB - >  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181097672344 

Note : Protek 608 is a 50000 count multimeter  >:D and the programmer is usd 536 hee hee
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:26 pm »

Well,
      Its a good solution .This is how i get 50% of my quality gear to india for reselling.I just nailed the following last two days have a peek

1 :  Protek 608 -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/271170710849
2 : BK Precision " aka elnec " Programemr 844USB - >  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181097672344 

Note : Protek 608 is a 50000 count multimeter  >:D and the programmer is usd 536 hee hee
Not bad at all.  :)

Are you primarily stuck to buying onesie-twosies as things come up in the US, or have you been able to negotiate larger quantities more often in order to keep your store stocked?

Just curious, so if you don't want to answer, it's not a problem.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:22 pm »
Hi,
    I buy stuff here and there and once its collected i import .I also get some bulk stuff as i distribute it here like anatek .Its fun  :-DD
Regards

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
Hi,
    I buy stuff here and there and once its collected i import .I also get some bulk stuff as i distribute it here like anatek .Its fun  :-DD
8)

Enjoying what you do is priceless IMHO.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf