Author Topic: Another Oscilloscope thread - Agilent MSOX204A vs Rigol DS4024  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Banned!
  • Occasionally active on the forum, available via PM
Re: Another Oscilloscope thread - Agilent MSOX204A vs Rigol DS4024
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 05:40:00 am »
Thanks. I read your reply and the one point that stands out (about Rigol lagging as you approach $3k) is where I was...

Irony is that the OP apparently has a broken Tek 2213. I have one of those and a 2430A (broken).
If you are not bothered by used gear, check this one out... Or, if you can shell out a bit more than $3k... Check this out.

Hm, that second one is an old WavePro 960. Good and reliable scopes, but very old and they don't do serial decode (and this one is quite expensive, too).

I'd look for a WaveRunner 6000(A) Series, i.e. a WR6050A (500MHz 4ch 5GSa/s) which with some patience can be found for around $2.5k. With some luck you can even find a WavePro 7100 (1GHz 4ch 20GSa/s) for around $3.5k.
Brexit n - The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 06:26:37 am »
I think I’ve determined that digital decode is not available outside the current active display on any Rigol model, but not sure about other analysis and math functions.

The digital decode works as you step through the captured segmented memory. So you setup a trigger to capture one packet in each segment, and then flick through them using the jog wheel. For a while there was a myth perpetuating that the DS4k did not have segmented memory, so be wary of older posts on the topic.

The DS4k does have both normal math and expression based maths.

The downsides - FFT is pretty poor compared to other scopes. Captured data can be searched using a 'template' only - not the more advanced search function in other scopes.

Offline trukresom

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:43:18 am »
FFT is pretty poor compared to other scopes

Yes, I agree totally with this. This FFT function is completely useless. Fortunately
I have a DSA815  :)

I am owner of a DG1062Z, DG4162, DM3068, DSA815-TG and a DS4054. The scope
was the most expensive of these 5 instruments but also the worst investment.
The buttons [STOP/RUN] and [SINGLE] don't work anymore. Sometimes the sensitivity
and the timebase knobs don't work during a quarter hour after starting the instrument.
But what really gets on my nerves is the noise of this machine; not the fan noise
but the trace noise. The picture was taken with all channels terminated with 50 Ohms
Bandwidth limit 1: none 2: 200MHz 3: 100 MHz 4: 20MHz. Also note the different
DC offsets on the 4 channels.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:55 am »
The buttons not working sucks. Did you try contacting them about it?

Are you comparing the noise with other scopes of similar bandwidth? I didn't think it was too bad.
I get similar traces to you btw - About 2.7mV p-p noise and about -0.36uV offset on the worst channel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf