Author Topic: RD JDS6600 25MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator  (Read 25735 times)

Offline BillyO

Re: RD JDS6600 25MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2018, 11:19:04 AM »
My JDS6600 60MHz arrived about a week ago.

I'm not sure how folks are measuring such huge mains leakage.  Mine measures ~1.2 volts AC RMS.  Not exactly what I'd call significant.  Perhaps it's the European/UK/Aus wall-wart or maybe your mains is not properly ground referenced.   In my house it behaves. :-//

I have read some other negative comments too, but wonder what folks are expecting for $125?

When I decided to purchase mine,  I did not expect it to compare favorably to a top of the line Keysight so I guess I'm not as disappointed as some of the folks here.  I'm not running an MIT research physics lab, just a retired hobbyist  working with vintage computers and sub-light speed microcontrollers.  It will surpass any needs I have. :-+

I do have one question for support though.  Is the firmware field upgradable?  Just in case you come out with new features I'll never need. :)

One thing I like about this over the FeelTech are the button keys.  They feel about 100 times better than the tacky membrane keys on the FeelTech. 

Offline hector.pascal

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »
Hi Trys,
Yes,I've been thinking of building a 5V linear supply for my JDS6600.
No problems with the 6600, but I am inherently suspicious of badly shielded "wall-wart" SMPS devices, especially around very low level wanted signals.   I appreciate that there must be at least one boost switching supply in the 6600 to get the output voltage swing, but those were obviously part of the overall design, and their spurious signals will have been carefully minimised to obtain the stated specs.
A 5V linear toroidal PSU isn't exactly rocket science, nevertheless I'd be very interested in your circuit, and any special precautions you added to prevent switch on/off transients, any over-current and over-voltage fault protection, and your choice of low noise regulator chip.  You can PM me if you prefer.
I guess, as usual in high tech R&D, the lowly mains connected PSU was a after-thought, and a convenient way of keeping the price low.  Nevertheless RDTech have done a very good job on this unit, and it annoys me how much criticism they get from people who nitpick comparing it to their professional test equipment costing $$$k.  When THEIR manufacturers can sell a similarly performing unit for the same price, I'll listen!
Regards
Hector

Offline TinkeringSteve

• Regular Contributor
Arbitrary Waveforms
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2018, 03:12:45 AM »
Hey,

As for Arbitrary Waveforms:
has anyone figured out whether it is somehow possible to use data from a *file* in the PC software, instead of drawing them by hand on that graph window?

If I right-click, there is an export in the context menu, but no import. And for that matter, it seems to use only screen coordinates.
How is one supposed to really use the full resolution of the 2048 points? (the drawing area has fewer pixels than 2048). It would be nice to input some data there that I generated.

Offline takfuji

« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
Steve,
Isn't there the key named "Open"?

Offline TinkeringSteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »
takfuji,

oh, yes, thanks.
LOL! I was fixated on the context menu for some reason, not seeing the forest for the trees, as it has a "export" entry.

Offline joeb8

« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
I can not find the trigger signal from the generator used for during a sweep generator function.
I have never heard of a generator that does the sweep function without the trigger / sync signal also being available to sync a scope.

thanx

Offline takfuji

« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
Am frustrated, too. :(
My circumvention is to set the CH2 to exact same frequency and use it as the sync. I need to adjust the horizontal location on scope, though.
Tak

Offline Scratch.HTF

• Contributor
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
Does the waveform have a lot of jitter at particular frequencies (e.g. 3/7/17/27/37/47/57 MHz) which means that the sampling rate cannot be changed?
If it runs on Linux, there is some hackability in it.

Online 4x1md

• Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #158 on: Yesterday at 04:00:58 AM »
A 5V linear toroidal PSU isn't exactly rocket science, nevertheless I'd be very interested in your circuit, and any special precautions you added to prevent switch on/off transients, any over-current and over-voltage fault protection, and your choice of low noise regulator chip.
Hi Trys,
I second Hector's wish and also would like to see your schematic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf