Author Topic: New meter that may be worthy of some attention?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New meter that may be worthy of some attention?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
Seems likely that PeakMeter is a brand name of Shenzhen Huayi which is an offshoot of Mastech.

Interesting, the Adm01/2 that bside sell are also Mastech meters under the covers,  PM (and various others) also sell those under thier own brand and model number.

Am I missing something here regarding Mastech meters?

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
Is that good then?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

good for me, I don't use auto ranging mode at all, I always use manual ranging mode.

I like this meter, very fast continuity tester, 3.2V output in diode mode , AA batteries, big display, good accuracy and cheap.

I don't like the backlight timeout in 15 seconds.

Yes the 3.2v in diode test mode is very handy, if I'd had this meter a week or 2 ago I could saved a lot of time and some money as I used my VC97 to test a suspect MOSFET, seemed to be O/C, ordered new one and it too was reading O/C. Checked the voltage in diode test and it was 1.7v, too low for the MOSFET, checked with the new meter, perfect, as was the old one as well.

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
Murphy will get you every time, just discovered that the HZ range on my meter is dicky, frequency on the AC Volts is not a problem when pressing the  SEL button, however select the dedicated frequency setting and it all goes belly up displays 0000 Hz regardless of the input amplitude or frequency being fed to it. Manual states that it will work from 200mV t0 10VAC RMS and 1Hz to 9.999Mhz.

Banggood have been informed via email, lets see how good their customer support is, everything else I asked the meter to do its done it with aplomb. The frequency apart it would seem to an ideal meter for electronic hobby use, not too expensive so even the beginner can start with a reasonable meter without breaking the bank. I winder if I could get an upgrade to the auto ranging version now its gone wrong??? 

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »
I found I could upset the counter by putting too many volts in at too high a frequency. From memory, that was about 5V RMS at around 15-20MHz. The thing started beeping continuously, but stopped when I switched to a different function then back. Trying to repeat this, I somehow got it into a mode whereby it needed to be switched fully off. I haven't been able to replicate this since, but happy to do some further testing if it helps...

I know the spec only goes to 10MHz, but the AN8002 and AN8008 go well beyond their specs with no funny behaviour. I got around 80MHz from the AN8002, and Joe Smith measured 200MHz with his.

All these meters require the signal to cross zero, so no use for TTL signals unless you AC-couple them.

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 03:25:05 AM »
Oops that might explain it, I'll give it a bash later, there no mention of this in the manual though. I hope that is all it is really because everything else works a treat and is more than good enough for the average electronic work bench. Would have been nice though if it came with case of some sort. How are you finding it standing up to your testing?

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »
Ok then, I AC coupled the meter and it sprang to life but as the frequency grew I had to up the input voltage as well to prevent it reading wrongly and I found that at 10.2 Vpp I could get it to read reliably with an accuracy of .005hz against my function generator all the way up to its maximum of 25Mhz. I'm getting to be even more impressed with just how much of a meter I got for my money, bearing in mind that I actually purchased it for approx 50% of its current price as part of a promotion they were having and I was unaware of it. Even at the current price it must still represent astonishing value.

Ok so it hasn't got any coloured pointer on the range selector knob for easy checking of the range setting, but then, neither do some other meters costing many times its price, its not beyond the capabilities of anyone to brush some paint on the knob is it?

I dare say that if it was pitted against true laboratory type of meters and reference standards that it would be seen to have some short fall in its capabilities but does the average person require such precision? I would venture, not

Offline Specmaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
I tried this meter set on frequency with my aging Tech 20D RF signal Generator and it was simply rubbish on it because the signal gen being an older valve design can't match the power output of my cheap function gen. I checked the spec for the meter and it is supposed to be capable of working from 200mv and a maximum of 10v. The thing picked and chose at what frequency it was going to starting from, somewhere around 217KHz and stop working around 6MHz, spec says it should go up to 9.999Mhz.

So I thought I'd complain about its lack of compliance and usability on frequency range and they are sending me out another to replace it. No mention about returning the old one, so if thats the case, its chicken dinner time again as the other ranges work just fine, so I'll end up with yet another meter in my growing collection, can never have too many meters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

http://opalkelly.com/