Author Topic: Bricked Siglent SDG 1032X  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Omega GloryTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
Bricked Siglent SDG 1032X
« on: January 25, 2024, 07:14:38 pm »
I recently purchased a Siglent SDG 1032X arbitrary waveform generator. On my Siglent oscilloscope I captured a waveform and stored it to a .CSV file and then attempted to import it to my arbitrary waveform generator. While importing the waveform, I was given a warning not to turn the machine off until it completed. However, the importing process hung at 35%, so I attempted to reboot the machine. When I did so, I was greeted with a black screen saying:

EEPROM: failed()
FPGA: failed()
ds2301: failed()

I was then able to press any key to exit the failure screen and arrive at the main UI. However, now the tool will no longer output anything. I attempted to update the firmware via USB flash drive, and it successfully read the device and rebooted, but I still arrived at the failure screen.

I've seen somewhere else that people have had to open up their devices and reflash an internal SD card, or something. Does anybody know anything about that?

Thanks

- Omega Glory

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Bricked Siglent SDG 1032X
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 07:23:08 pm »
I recently purchased a Siglent SDG 1032X arbitrary waveform generator. On my Siglent oscilloscope I captured a waveform and stored it to a .CSV file and then attempted to import it to my arbitrary waveform generator. While importing the waveform, I was given a warning not to turn the machine off until it completed. However, the importing process hung at 35%, so I attempted to reboot the machine. When I did so, I was greeted with a black screen saying:

EEPROM: failed()
FPGA: failed()
ds2301: failed()

I was then able to press any key to exit the failure screen and arrive at the main UI. However, now the tool will no longer output anything. I attempted to update the firmware via USB flash drive, and it successfully read the device and rebooted, but I still arrived at the failure screen.

I've seen somewhere else that people have had to open up their devices and reflash an internal SD card, or something. Does anybody know anything about that?

Thanks

- Omega Glory
Please don't at this time.

Contact me via PM with your email and we'll try the Siglent USB recovery package.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: dorkshoei, Omega Glory, orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 11:13:41 pm »
Thank you very much, the recovery files worked perfectly and smoothly! I really appreciate your help.

- Omega Glory

The following users thanked this post: tautech, dorkshoei

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 11:18:21 pm »
 :-+
Do you know what FW version was in use when you had these troubles ?
Trusting you have also checked the latest version is now installed ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 11:26:00 pm »
Before I bricked it, I had updated to the latest version (1.01.01.33R3). Before that update, I don't recall which version it was, but I believe it was just the previous version (1.01.01.33R1B10). After I updated to the newest version, I didn't have a problem until I attempted to move a waveform over from my scope to the signal gen.

Yes, now after things have been recovered, I am running (1.01.01.33R3). I suppose I could see if I can reproduce the error (though even though I have the recovery tools you sent me, somehow this doesn't seem like the wisest decision...).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 11:27:41 pm »
Before I bricked it, I had updated to the latest version (1.01.01.33R3). Before that update, I don't recall which version it was, but I believe it was just the previous version (1.01.01.33R1B10). After I updated to the newest version, I didn't have a problem until I attempted to move a waveform over from my scope to the signal gen.

Yes, now after things have been recovered, I am running (1.01.01.33R3). I suppose I could see if I can reproduce the error (though even though I have the recovery tools you sent me, somehow this doesn't seem like the wisest decision...).
Be brave.
If Siglent have an issue with this they need to know and rectify it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 11:30:02 pm »
Be brave.

OP could always just upload the CSV and you could try it.   You'll probably also have an easier time notifying Siglent.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 11:32:00 pm »
Be brave.
OP could always just upload the CSV and you could try it.
If I had a SDG1032X out.....
Siglent are also linked to this thread.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 12:04:24 am »
All right, I've reproduced the error:

I have the SDG 1032X signal generator running firmware version 1.01.01.33R3 outputting a 1KHz waveform at 1Vpp out of channel one in High-Z mode. The generator is connected via a piece of 50 ohm coax to channel one of an SDS 1104X-U oscilloscope, running firmware version 1.1.5R6. The scope has channel one set to 1x mode, and is AC coupled, with the vertical timebase set to 200mV/div, and the horizontal timebase set to 200uS/div.

On the scope, I insert a USB flash drive with an 8GB capacity, and formatted to FAT32. I press the (save/recall) button on the scope. I press save. I select the type to be CSV and select "Param save" to off. I then press the save button on the menu. I select the new file button and select the default name. I then save the file, press return on the menu, and remove the flash drive.

I then insert the flash drive into the signal generator, press the Waveforms button, select Arb Type, select Stored Waveforms, and then select the CSV file off the USB device and press Recall. Then I get a message "Converting... Pease don't shutdown" followed by a percent complete number, which gets stuck at 35%.

This time, when I power the signal generator off and remove the flash drive, and then power it up again, I don't get bricked like I did last time.

Attached is the CSV file (zipped so that I can upload it to the forum).

Perhaps what is going on is that the file is *much* larger than what the system will be able to use in its totality, but I figured either the system would truncate the data or downsample it. However this procedure worked just fine in this video here: https://youtu.be/iblCQElKJBs?si=NlFFi8tST8hBfjQ7&t=972

Hope this helps,

- Omega Glory

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 12:51:43 am »
Thanks.
The manual states a csv is converted to bin to be stored in internal memory. One suspects it will truncate the file to fit/suit the internal memory.

Can I ask that you check the same again but instead use the BIN file format from the scope directly into the AWG ?
Relevant reading is P80 Data File
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/22_06_23/SDG1000X_UserManual_UM0201X-E01E.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 02:15:06 am »
Okay, with the same setup, I saved the capture in binary format on the scope, but the signal generator stalls at 0% loaded. Rebooting escapes the situation without getting bricked. Maybe I have to have the 1104X-E and not the 1104X-U?

(By the way, this isn't really a problem for me, now that it isn't bricked. I was just trying out the arb features, but my project doesn't rely on it)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:24:17 am by Omega Glory »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 02:29:57 am »
Try importing the capture into EasyWaveX then exporting it to your arb.

I did this years back for a customer which IIRC had a similar issue as the capture was too long/large.
Once shortened and uploaded we could loop it continuously in the arb.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 02:32:47 am »
Unfortunately I won't be able to test that as I only have access to an Ubuntu machine and a Mac. However I could try to manually truncate the CSV file on my computer, and then try importing that into the signal generator.

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 02:45:05 am »
Okay, I truncated it to 9998 points by running
Code: [Select]
head -n 10000 CSV.csv > new.csv on my computer, and then loaded it into the function generator without issue. Granted the resultant waveform didn't look anything like the truncated version, because the original file had 2.80Mpts. Now in the video I linked to above, the guy captures a waveform with 2.80Mpts, and yet his signal generator is able to reproduce it, which suggests to me that the CSV to binary conversion process isn't a simple truncation but rather involves decimation.

I could try downgrading the signal generator's firmware to see if this bug isn't an issue in an earlier version.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:47:53 am by Omega Glory »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 03:42:47 am »
Okay, I truncated it to 9998 points by running
Code: [Select]
head -n 10000 CSV.csv > new.csv on my computer, and then loaded it into the function generator without issue. Granted the resultant waveform didn't look anything like the truncated version, because the original file had 2.80Mpts. Now in the video I linked to above, the guy captures a waveform with 2.80Mpts, and yet his signal generator is able to reproduce it, which suggests to me that the CSV to binary conversion process isn't a simple truncation but rather involves decimation.

I could try downgrading the signal generator's firmware to see if this bug isn't an issue in an earlier version.
Or select a smaller memory depth in the scope before capture and saving then transferring to arb the smaller capture.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Joe1vm

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2024, 07:15:32 am »
Hello,
I have the same experience with the transfer of waveform between the scope 1104X-E  and SDG 1032X. Exactly the same issue happened to me about 2 months ago,  when I tested my new  SDG 1032X with the last available firmware 1.01.01.33R3.
Fortunately, If I remember well,  I was able to overcome the EEPROM: failed(), FPGA: failed(), ds2301: failed() screen by getting to standard menu and set the "Power on" to default. It seems, that the generator try to use broken waveform from the incomplete transfer during power on causing the error message. When the power on was set to default, the generator recovered after restart.

The following users thanked this post: Omega Glory

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 07:20:18 am »
That's good to know! Since then have you been able to successfully transfer waveforms from the scope to the generator? I've seen a few videos of people doing so captures with a ton of points (2.8Mps), which then appear to be automatically reduced to fit the generator. But those videos are older, so I'm wondering if there was a firmware change and now that capability is broken.

Offline Joe1vm

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2024, 07:28:28 am »
Unfortunately not. Threfore I gave it up.

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2024, 07:31:56 am »
All right, tomorrow I will do some experiments to see if reverting to an earlier firmware version will fix things. Hopefully I won't brick things for good...

One thing that isn't clear is if it's due to the scope's firmware or the generator's firmware, however I suspect it is the latter, because the CSV file format is pretty simple.

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2024, 09:10:58 pm »
Or select a smaller memory depth in the scope before capture and saving then transferring to arb the smaller capture.

Just tried that. Captured a waveform with 14kpts, transferred it to the scope which converts it without issue, however the resultant waveform is a ramp instead of a sine wave, so something's not right.

Offline Joe1vm

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 08:59:17 pm »
I can confirm the same behavior - now I can understand why, when I tested it in the past, sometimes the gen got stuck and sometimes I got the ramp only. All seems to be related to the sample size.
Anyway, the transfer via USB is obviously broken and I would say on generator side.
I was only able to transfer the waveform from scope to gen via EasyWaveX  with the condition that the waveform has 7Mpts max.

• Regular Contributor
    • Ezra's Robots
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2024, 09:48:39 pm »
That's too bad, but good to know. hopefully they can fix it with a firmware update.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf