Author Topic: RD JDS6600 25MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator  (Read 190637 times)

Offline RD Tech

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: RD JDS6600 25MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2017, 02:50:19 am »
I posted a screen capture of the 312V p-p mains leakage to the Ground pin of the PSU that came with the JDS6600 in the last post.

The images for problems at low signal levels is given in the two attached photographs.

The signal generated by the JDS6600 is set at 30mV, 1kHz

One picture is a screen capture of the scope itself. One picture is of the JDS6600 showing the settings.

Kind regards,
Trys
Hi Trys
thank you for your reply
you did not use our own AC-DC power supply ?
from the picture, it should be power supply interferece , and there are some inerference in your working place
please check and use our own power supply

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
  • I started with the AC128
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2017, 11:38:52 am »
Hi,

Yes it is your power supply that was supplied with the unit.

I will also try to reduce environmental noise, as I suspect that may also be adding to the problem.

The Function Generator is very good at higher amplitudes, it works very well and I find the controls easy to understand and use.

Trys

Offline RD Tech

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2017, 07:58:10 am »
Hi,

Yes it is your power supply that was supplied with the unit.

I will also try to reduce environmental noise, as I suspect that may also be adding to the problem.

The Function Generator is very good at higher amplitudes, it works very well and I find the controls easy to understand and use.

Trys
could you make a video to show this ?

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:52 am »
No, I do not wish to make a video. I have given screenshots of the issue, and a photo of the JDS6600 above the oscilloscope.

I can post a photo of the power supply that came with the JDS6600 if you want?

Thanks for trying to help.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2017, 11:06:39 am »
The problem was environmental electrical noise / RFI.

I turned off items in the home lab, and the problem was a small Class D amplifier ( PAM8403 ) causing much of the noise (see screenshot).

I am now able to get a 20mV signal from the JDS6600.

Screenshots below.

Background noise screenshot; this is with the JDS6600 DC power jack disconnected - so it shows the environment noise being picked up by the test leads and equipment.

Three screenshots, Normal mode (which shows also the environment noise), High Resolution mode, and Averaging mode (similar to an analogue oscilloscope).

I am happy with the results, and I will continue to try and reduce electrical noise in my home lab now. Thank you for your help.

Trys
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:14:11 am by trys »

The following users thanked this post: tek2232, xzswq21

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:05 pm »
The plot attachment shows that the JDS6600 Function Signal Generator s very good when fed with a clean 5v power source.

The PSU is a home lab-built linear 5V Toroidal PSU which is earth grounded (I made it today, just for this).

The signal plot below is the 1KHz, 20mV (normal acquisition mode).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:38:07 pm by trys »

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 10:21:07 am »
Just a follow-up on my previous posts.

I've been using the JDS6600 DDS Arbitrary Function Generator for a few weeks now.

Now I've had more time to use it, I'm really delighted with it.  Most recently I've been using it at low signal levels (at around the 20mV) looking at emitter-follower characteristics, and I can't fault it at all.

OK, so I built my own little earth grounded 5v linear power supply to feed it, but that's why I bought this version rather than the other types that are directly mains powered in the first place, as I felt I would get a clean signal like that.

The controls are easy to use, it's intuitive, and the display is really helpful as it shows the shape of the waveform that it's producing on Channel 1. The buttons themselves feel quite tactile, and very similar to the ones on my scope. They're slightly rubberized and you know you've pressed them.

The unit can be set up to start up in whatever mode you want when it first starts up too. This is really useful if you're doing a similar set of tests aver a number of sessions. So if for example, you can set the unit to start up with both channels turned off, and the first channel to be ready to output a triangle wave at 5MHz, with an amplitude of 20mV, and the second channel ready to output a sine wave of 1KHz and 1V. You can have channels default to be on or off on startup, whether you want the buttons to beep or not when pressed. That kind of thing.

The other neat thing is that it just so happens that the colours on Channel 1 and Channel 2 are yellow and light blue respectively, which just so happens to match my Rigol scope. I don't know if there is an industry standard for colour coding scopes and function generator channels or not. It makes things a lot easier trying to work out if what signal I'm looking at.

I've not tried loading up my own arbitrary waveform to the unit yet, and at the moment I can't think of why I would need to, but as it's got that functionality I may as well give it a try too at some point.

It's a very lightweight little unit, and so I've put one of those anti-slip mats under it to stop it moving around.

Here is a picture of mine, pumping out a triangle wave, 1KHz, at 30mV. The scope is on the collector of a 2N3904 set up as an emitter follower with a gain of ten. I've also got one of my other favourite things placed on top of the signal generator - a packet of Milliput. :)

I'm really happy with the unit. It's serving me very well.

Trys

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2017, 04:22:42 pm »
Hi. Do you think it would be possible to add a universal counter function to future models?

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
Forgive me for being thick, but I thought it did have a frequency counter via "Ext In"?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2017, 04:35:51 pm »
Forgive me for being thick, but I thought it did have a frequency counter via "Ext In"?
A universal counter counts discrete steps, while a frequency counter measures frequency. One is absolute, the other relative to time.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2017, 04:38:42 pm »
Right you are.

I'll reel my neck back in.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
Hold on a little minute.

(Neck emerges from under its shell)

I've taken two photos of the screen (see below). Is the "Function Counter" the thing you are after then?

Trys

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
Hold on a little minute.

(Neck emerges from under its shell)

I've taken two photos of the screen (see below). Is the "Function Counter" the thing you are after then?

Trys
Maybe? I don't have one to test. A universal counter should ideally have a settable threshold and the ability to compare two channels, but the latter isn't super vital, though the former makes it more usable. Having neither, but a predictable way of counting discrete steps is still nice.

It shouldn't be hard to test. If you run a low frequency signal generator and the count goes up and over the frequency, it looks like it's also doing counting.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:27 pm »
Here we go, I've tested it for you.

I put the scope's probe 1Khz compensation calibration squarewave to the "Ext In" of the JDS6600 and tried both the "counter" and the "measure". One counts pulses over time (you can stop/pause, start and clear it), and the other measures the frequency.

(Shots below).

Trys

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »
Here we go, I've tested it for you.

I put the scope's probe 1Khz compensation calibration squarewave to the "Ext In" of the JDS6600 and tried both the "counter" and the "measure". One counts pulses over time (you can stop/pause, start and clear it), and the other measures the frequency.

(Shots below).

Trys
Nice. I don't think I've ever seen anyone demonstrating this before. Having a threshold value would be great, and a compare nice, but this certainly increases the appeal of the device.

Offline RD Tech

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2017, 07:29:21 am »
Just a follow-up on my previous posts.

I've been using the JDS6600 DDS Arbitrary Function Generator for a few weeks now.

Now I've had more time to use it, I'm really delighted with it.  Most recently I've been using it at low signal levels (at around the 20mV) looking at emitter-follower characteristics, and I can't fault it at all.

OK, so I built my own little earth grounded 5v linear power supply to feed it, but that's why I bought this version rather than the other types that are directly mains powered in the first place, as I felt I would get a clean signal like that.

The controls are easy to use, it's intuitive, and the display is really helpful as it shows the shape of the waveform that it's producing on Channel 1. The buttons themselves feel quite tactile, and very similar to the ones on my scope. They're slightly rubberized and you know you've pressed them.

The unit can be set up to start up in whatever mode you want when it first starts up too. This is really useful if you're doing a similar set of tests aver a number of sessions. So if for example, you can set the unit to start up with both channels turned off, and the first channel to be ready to output a triangle wave at 5MHz, with an amplitude of 20mV, and the second channel ready to output a sine wave of 1KHz and 1V. You can have channels default to be on or off on startup, whether you want the buttons to beep or not when pressed. That kind of thing.

The other neat thing is that it just so happens that the colours on Channel 1 and Channel 2 are yellow and light blue respectively, which just so happens to match my Rigol scope. I don't know if there is an industry standard for colour coding scopes and function generator channels or not. It makes things a lot easier trying to work out if what signal I'm looking at.

I've not tried loading up my own arbitrary waveform to the unit yet, and at the moment I can't think of why I would need to, but as it's got that functionality I may as well give it a try too at some point.

It's a very lightweight little unit, and so I've put one of those anti-slip mats under it to stop it moving around.

Here is a picture of mine, pumping out a triangle wave, 1KHz, at 30mV. The scope is on the collector of a 2N3904 set up as an emitter follower with a gain of ten. I've also got one of my other favourite things placed on top of the signal generator - a packet of Milliput. :)

I'm really happy with the unit. It's serving me very well.

Trys
thank you very  much for your answer and your support. I am glad that you like it
thank you again, if you have any question, please let me know

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2017, 10:49:01 am »
RD Tech - You are most welcome. Thank you to your team for making such a great and useful device.

Mr Scram - here are details of the frequency and counter specs from the manual (see image below). It would be easy enough to make a little adjustable schmitt trigger for what you need.

Edited to add: Here is the part of RD Tech's youtube video showing the counter function of the device:

Cheers,
Trys

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:01:07 am by trys »

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline RD Tech

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:38 am »
RD Tech - You are most welcome. Thank you to your team for making such a great and useful device.

Mr Scram - here are details of the frequency and counter specs from the manual (see image below). It would be easy enough to make a little adjustable schmitt trigger for what you need.

Edited to add: Here is the part of RD Tech's youtube video showing the counter function of the device:

Thank you very much for your support , have a nice day
hope you like it and like our other products

Cheers,
Trys

Offline sycho123321

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2017, 03:15:32 am »

Where are you able to set the startup mode? I can't seem to find any mention of that functionality in my unit.
-KD9A

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2017, 03:38:13 am »
Whatever settings are stored into location zero will be recalled at power up.

Randy

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2017, 01:39:05 pm »
Yes, that's right, spot on.

You set up the unit in the way you'd like it during startup.

Then press "SYS" (shot for 'System' I expect).
Then, making sure that "Save&Load" has a "00" next to it, press the "SAVE" option on the bottom button down the right hand of the screen.

As Randy said, location zero (00) is the place to save things to be recalled on power up.

I've attached a picture of the screen, and indicated the button to press to Save settings.

Also, you'll notice I've set "Arb.MaxNum" to 01. This is the maximum number of stored custom Arbitrary waveforms that the waveform selection goes to before starting at the beginning again (the sine wave). As I don't have any stored, it makes sense to jump straight to Sine again.

Trys

Edited to add photo.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:20:33 pm by trys »

The following users thanked this post: sycho123321

Offline sycho123321

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:08 am »
Works great, thanks guys  :-+
-KD9A

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2017, 12:37:54 pm »
Great stuff!

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2017, 02:44:01 am »
The two exceptions are a)  the power pack leaks 78 V AC measured from mains earth to the DC ground of the power pack. Leakage current is 14µA. Not life threatening and can be fixed by replacing it with a transformer based PS.
That is absolutely 100% normal for a SMPS. In fact, if there were zero mains leakage, it’d be indicative that no EMI suppression cap is installed, which would wreak havoc with some devices.

As you said, you could use a linear power supply to totally eliminate this, but there’s no real reason to, since it’s not a fault.

Offline conny_g

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:10 pm »
I received the JDS6600 / 60 Mhz today and I am happy after my first experiments.

Tried the frequency sweep and it's nice to be able to do frequency plots for filters now!

Question:

Is there a trigger output, e.g. in the TTL outputs at the back?
Or can I enforce a CH2 1 Hz square to be in sync with the sweep start of CH1?
That would make it slightly easier to adjust the scope to that, so far I can use CH2 as a trigger, but that's not necessarily the start of the sweep and I have to adjust the X direction position to see the complete sweep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf