Author Topic: anyone here own or ever used a lecroy LC584 scope?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline SolarisTopic starter

anyone here own or ever used a lecroy LC584 scope?
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:08 pm »

i found out about them a week ago, i love the way it looks. but im not sure about performance. nobody talks about it.

there exists only one good video showing it working... and its in another language  :'(

if you have any experience with it, negative or positive i would enjoy hearing about it. ^-^
any input appreciated.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: anyone here own or ever used a lecroy LC584 scope?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10:54 am »
  There's a LeCroy user's group on Yahoo. You'd be better off to ask there.  I've never used an LC584 but I have two LeCroy 93xx scopes and I love them!  LeCroy has released the source code for the option roms into the public domain so it's cheap and easy to add all of the software options. Schematics have been released for most models and there's a lot of leCroy users out there so there's lots of support. There's lots more information and support for my 93xx scopes than for my HP 54510s!

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:01 am »

Not the LC Series, but several other LeCroy scopes. The older LeCroys have a consistent user interface amongst the various models (9300 Series, LC Series, WR LT Series, WR2 LT Series, WP 900 Series), so they all operate more or less the same. The probe interface (ProBus) is also the same across the older scopes to even the latest ones, which makes it easier sharing probes.

i found out about them a week ago, i love the way it looks. but im not sure about performance. nobody talks about it.

There are various discussions in this forum touching LeCroy scopes, just use the search function.

As to performance, well, the LC 500 Series is from around 1997/1998, which means it's a roughly 16 year old high end oscilloscope which at the time was unmatched in capabilities by other scopes and which even today offers some capabilities which even today you'd only find in very expensive high end scopes from other manufacturers, if at all.

if you have any experience with it, negative or positive i would enjoy hearing about it. ^-^
any input appreciated.

Well, these are great scopes, and the unified user interface means that if you can drive one you can drive all of them. Some things are different than on other scopes (i.e. horizontal left, vertical right) but in my experience it doesn't take long to get used to it. However, the real strenghts of these scopes lies in the available software options which for the 9300 Series and the LC can be had for free now.

The LC584 is essentially a 9384 with faster processing (PPC instead of M68k) and color screen instead of monochrome. The front ends are the same, as are many other parts. The LC584 also shares the 9300's tendendcy for the auto-range circuitry in the PSU going south-side, but there's a fix for it which removes the auto-range board and fixes the input voltage to 110v or 230V, whatever is required. The build quality of the LC Series is decent, it's a bit more robust than the 9300 Series. None are a match for the later Iwatsu-made scopes (WR LT, WR2 LT, WP900), though.

On the other side, the LC Series is now quite old, and the 500 models uses color CRTs which aren't great in terms of sharpness and convergence (the later LC600 models got LCDs instead which were much better). If you don't have one already then I'd seriously consider getting a WaveRunner LT or WavePro 900 instead, which both are newer/faster and of better build quality (but not necessarily more expensive than the LC Series).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:47:33 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline SolarisTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:46 am »
There's a LeCroy user's group on Yahoo. You'd be better off to ask there.
thanks, i just found it. awesome!

LeCroy has released the source code for the option roms into the public domain so it's cheap and easy to add all of the software options.
this pleases me

If you don't have one already then I'd seriously consider getting a WaveRunner LT or WavePro 900 instead, which both are newer/faster and of better build quality
right i just checked it out, these are really nice too! albeit rarer.

thanks for all of this useful information.

Offline jlake

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:02:45 pm »
LeCroy has released the source code for the option roms into the public domain so it's cheap and easy to add all of the software options.

Where can the source code be found?

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:26 pm »
  It's not really "source code", it's the code to enable the software options.  It's posted in the file section of the lecroy group on Yahoo.  An internet search should quickly find it.

Offline jlake

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:00:20 pm »
Thanks, Stray! Appreciate that :)

It's not really "source code", it's the code to enable the software options.  It's posted in the file section of the lecroy group on Yahoo.  An internet search should quickly find it.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:45 pm »
I own a couple of 9354 and a DDA-120 (basically a LC584 with long acquisition memory and different front panel).
They are the only DSO's I have really got hooked on and kept over the years, although their noise floor isn't the best around.

The options previously mentioned are enabled by a 16V8 GAL/PAL so you'll need a programmer capable of "burning" that.
IIRC there are other options that can only be enabled by software keys.

Although you can still subscribe to the yahoo group it is no longer very active, the one to go to is groups.io

Some preventive maintenance you may want to consider on the LC is checking backup battery, fans, dust on the acquisition board, heated connectors between PSU and acquisition board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf