Author Topic: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...  (Read 102545 times)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:50 pm »
Yours or one on loan ?  ;)

Loan. But from what I saw, regarding the implementation side and not so much the operational side, getting one is a real possibility. ;)

I will wait for the operational experts to place their opinions (fanboys from all places  ;D ).

The following users thanked this post: tautech, 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2019, 10:09:16 am »
For anyone looking at these SDS5000X DSO's and the 1 GHz active probe there is a manual available now for the the SAP1000 probe:
http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/manual/SAP1000_UserManual_UM60010-E01A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:42 pm »
I wonder if it's a rebrand. If so: any idea of what?
Anyway, the PMK Tetris 1000/1500 (which R&S rebrands as HZO30) is around the same price with slightly better specs and better documentation about the technical specifications.
E.g. the SAP1000 manual just states a probe bandwidth, but no system bandwidth or even if the bandwidth is specified at -3dB.
I'd also expect a graph for the input impedance over frequency and for the input voltage/dynamic range over frequency.
Anyway, it's good to see that Siglent is willing and able to come up with active probes. I wonder if there will also be a high frequency differential probe. Currently, they seem to offer only high voltage differential probes (most likely rebrands).
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2019, 01:38:53 pm »
Since I've got an engineering sample (= pre production prototype) of the SAP1000 I'd not expect it to be a rebrand.

According to my tests, the specification states the system bandwidth. I've measured >1.1GHz +2/-3dB - and that's been with a pre-production sample of the SDS5104X, which did not entirely meet the frequency response flatness specifications. As a result, the system bandwidth with final units of the SDS5100X (which got a frontend re-design) could be even better.

See my reply #90 here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/msg2165488/#msg2165488

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2019, 09:47:07 am »
I wanted to use the webserver via LAN, but i don't have a router in the room. Do i need a crossover cable to connect the PC and the scope?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2019, 10:04:03 am »
I wanted to use the webserver via LAN, but i don't have a router in the room. Do i need a crossover cable to connect the PC and the scope?
You shouldn't need one - modern network ports on a PC have auto-sensing and swap the lines if necessary.

You can't use the DHCP feature though (because without router there's usually no DHCP server), so you have to configure the ethernet settings manually.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2019, 10:13:18 am »
You shouldn't need one - modern network ports on a PC have auto-sensing and swap the lines if necessary.

You can't use the DHCP feature though (because without router there's usually no DHCP server), so you have to configure the ethernet settings manually.
Correct, connection is very possible but a bit of a PITA to get all the IP stuff set into the scope correctly.

Open a CMD window and 'ipconfig' the PC's settings. Mirror them into the scope and just +1 for the scopes IP. Then Save.
Should work fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:08 am »

Correct, connection is very possible but a bit of a PITA to get all the IP stuff set into the scope correctly.

Open a CMD window and 'ipconfig' the PC's settings. Mirror them into the scope and just +1 for the scopes IP. Then Save.
Should work fine.
That is very bad advice! If there is no DHCP server to manage the IP addresses then someone has made a plan manually. Better consult with that person before causing all kinds of weird network problems. A duplicate IP address leads to all kinds of odd behaviour in a network.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2019, 12:12:30 pm »
I see. Still, it worked and i was able to control the scope from the webserver :-+
Unfortunately my knowledge of netwroks is sub-zero so i can only say i'm glad this workaround works

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2019, 02:20:57 pm »
If you are just connecting scope and PC directly with cable you only have to make sure scope IP is different from PC's.. So PC's IP+1 is just fine.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2019, 07:21:43 pm »
If I understand the manual right, it´s got a free definable and moveable measuring-gate (A, B, AB).
If it´s so, it will be very interesting for our testdepartement since we know, that lecroy doesn´t have this very useable feature anymore on their modern scopes.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2019, 08:57:34 pm »
I see. Still, it worked and i was able to control the scope from the webserver :-+
Unfortunately my knowledge of netwroks is sub-zero so i can only say i'm glad this workaround works
Great, yes I know it's a bit of a PITA but for a 'one off' it works just fine.
If you have to do it frequently grab a cheap little 4 port switch to have close to your PC and still have full your LAN and DHCP by just plugging into the switch.
They are so cheap these days the investment pays for itself very quickly with time saved.

I have in the past used a spare ADSL 4 port router but they can add another set of IP issues ................
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2019, 09:46:34 pm »
If I understand the manual right, it´s got a free definable and moveable measuring-gate (A, B, AB).
If it´s so, it will be very interesting for our testdepartement since we know, that lecroy doesn´t have this very useable feature anymore on their modern scopes.
Hm. Even the lowish WS3000 features gates for measurements. The current 12bit HDO line has gates for sure, all the previous Wavesurfers and Waverunners I ever used in the last ten years had movable gates. On "my" 6zi at work you can drag the gate cursors with the touch screen.
For sure it's nice that the SDS5000 seems to have inherited the gate feature from LeCroy. AFAIK no HP/Agilent/Keysight scope I ever used had this feature and they usually measure from the screen buffer anyway.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2019, 10:07:02 pm »
Hm. Even the lowish WS3000 features gates for measurements. The current 12bit HDO line has gates for sure, all the previous Wavesurfers and Waverunners I ever used in the last ten years had movable gates. On "my" 6zi at work you can drag the gate cursors with the touch screen.
For sure it's nice that the SDS5000 seems to have inherited the gate feature from LeCroy. AFAIK no HP/Agilent/Keysight scope I ever used had this feature and they usually measure from the screen buffer anyway.

Keysight 3000T measures from whole screen width, from a zoomed portion, or gated between cursors..
And not from screen buffer, but from a measurement buffer that is decimated and some 64k in length. So not full data (which is a shame), but in practice good enough.
Same with 64k for FFT.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2019, 05:56:27 am »
Yes, there is gated measurement and yes it works.
I suggest you use it with long acquisitions, because measurements and math trace are calculated on full memory buffer and there can be significant blind time between acquisitions with all measurements on. altough i don't think i ever used measure-all in my life for anything other than checking it out

The FFT instead doesn't have this problem.. 512k-2Mpts FFT will take 100s of ms to be computed but it won't add noticeable blind time.. My guess is that FFT is done in the FPGA while the measurements are all on the CPU side

If there is one thing i miss from the rigol is the cursors that track measurements..
And there are some measurements missing i forgot to ask if/when they wil be added, basically slew rate
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:58:11 am by JPortici »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2019, 07:04:44 am »
There is a tracking cursor mode. But would need a better description of how you used it to know if its suitable

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2019, 07:15:43 am »
tektronix style, you move X and Y is tracking the waveform

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:04 am »
tektronix style, you move X and Y is tracking the waveform
Same on Keysight 3000T series. In manual mode you have 2 horizontal and 2 vertical independent cursors. In Track mode, you get 2 horizontal/vertical cursor pairs that track waveform.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:33 am »
If there is one thing i miss from the rigol is the cursors that track measurements..
And there are some measurements missing i forgot to ask if/when they wil be added, basically slew rate
Cursor display for automatic measurements will be added, the same is true for a number of additional measurements, including slew rate.

Math will see some major additions and improvements and we will also get a comprehensive filter package.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:37 am »
On the SDS1104X-E the cursors track on Y when you move the X, I assume the same functionality exists on the 5000 series, or at minimum will be easy to port,

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »
Hm. Even the lowish WS3000 features gates for measurements.

Maybe I was misunderstood, yes it does it like every newer lecroy does it.
But: The tracking-function was gone, like older waverunner got it.
Even the 2004 WS 422 don´t have it anymore:

You can adjust start div. and stop div., displayed by the white lines and it will measure inbetween, but when you will examine another part of the signal, you´ll have to adjust it again to this part of the display.
With the trackfunction you could define a gate, which could be moved all over the screen (very useful for examining loadsteps):

This function does not exist anymore, even not on the expensive models ( asked lecroy for this).
Therefore, the siglent 5000 would be a very interesting candidate for our testdepartement.
Btw, this is a known ( and promised to be fixed ) bug of the ws3000(Z) series:

No white gate-lines visible….

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09:28 pm »
Hm, you mean the gating cursors could be moved together in the past? I know I can move the measurements cursors together on Windows based Waverunners/Wavesurfers but for the gating cursors, you're probably right that this isn't possible (anymore). Never really missed it to be honest, but yeah, looks like the SDS5000X can do this (judging from the menu in the user manual).

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:27 pm »
Hm, you mean the gating cursors could be moved together in the past?

Yes, on Waverunner LT models (also 9XXX models), you could choose between tracking/non tracking and as I saw the A,B AB movement possibility in the SDS5000 usermanual, I think, this will be the same.

Never really missed it to be honest

Maybe this was/is the reason, lecroy didn´t implement it anymore in the newer models and we are the only ones who use it.

It´s quiet nice for the above mentioned loadstep-measuring ( Loadstep of a 400Hz sinewave output, first 3 cycles rms-value - you define a 2.5ms gate and measure the three cycles after loadstep).

I think the SDS5034X have a better overall performance than the ws3000z, also some decoding functions are free implemented - and it costs nearly the half, comparing to the WS3034Z.
Could be a good deal.
Edit:
Rigol MSO5074 have it too:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:57:24 pm by Martin72 »

Offline Mr Nutts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2019, 09:03:32 pm »
Even the 2004 WS 422 don´t have it anymore

From what I understand the WS400 was a much simpler scope than any Waveruner (or even the later Wavesurfers) which lacked most of the functionality available in other Lecroy scopes ;)

I think WS400s were made by Iwatsu and ran a special cut-down version of the software (X-Stream?) while other Lecroy Windows scopes all ran the same (full) software. WS400 software did also see only a few updates back then and could not be updated with normal X-Stream releases :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:08:07 pm by Mr Nutts »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:11 pm »
Yep, wavesurfer are always the "light version" of the waverunners, in every case.

X-Stream?

Yes again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf