Author Topic: Atten Scopes  (Read 11250 times)

Offline AndreKRTopic starter

Atten Scopes
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:52:27 am »
Hi,

I have a Rigol DS1052 and I am happy with it... it responds to keys immediately (couldn't live with any delay), triggers correctly (most of the time), etc. What bothers me is that there is only one knob for both channels.
I saw an Atten oscilloscope on eBay that has one set of knobs *per channel*. Is it worth a look?

Regards,
André

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Atten Scopes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »
Well, it is an Atten, so i would not spend much money on it.
Rigol have a better product in my opinion.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »
What bothers me is that there is only one knob for both channels.

The one of your knobs must have fallen off. Every image of a DS1052 shows of course two knobs for vertical control.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »
Uh, don't know what you googled, but the unit really has only one set of knobs and you have to use a button to choose which of the two channels you want to control using that knob.

The other "scale" button you see in the pictures is for *horizontal* scaling (timebase).

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »
What bothers me is that there is only one knob for both channels.

The one of your knobs must have fallen off. Every image of a DS1052 shows of course two knobs for vertical control.

One could argue about the meaning of "knob",  but two channels share the vertical and horizontal controls. Not a deal-breaker for me, though.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »
Uh, don't know what you googled, but the unit really has only one set of knobs and you have to use a button to choose which of the two channels you want to control using that knob.
The other "scale" button you see in the pictures is for *horizontal* scaling (timebase).
you mean... it should be like this?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 06:54:55 pm »
*lol* That looks funny. However, it has one horizontal control unit too much, as there is only one common timebase, it need only one set of horizontal controls.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:28:41 pm »
now i get it. this!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
actually i didnt :(. this is actually what he meant.. i never know, yes pretty nice that layout. where did they get it from? (the idea) we can quickly change vertical scale for each channel quickly! for rigol, we have to press CH1 or CH2 channel to switch.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:43:31 pm by shafri »

alm

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »
It's a trade-off between size of the screen / front panel, space around the knobs and number of knobs. Very few recent designs appear to have a knob per channel, partly because the screen has been getting bigger. Having worked with both types of interfaces at the same time, it's not a big deal in my opinion.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »
Atten is said to clone rigol's design. so is that means once upon a time, rigol did this layout too?

alm

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »
One example: DS1000B. Not sure about a two channel version, can't find one on the current Rigol NA site. Atten also was convicted of copying a design, not sure if they still sell that version, and if they also cloned the front panel.

Offline sigxcpu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:57 pm »
*lol* That looks funny. However, it has one horizontal control unit too much, as there is only one common timebase, it need only one set of horizontal controls.

it has dual timebase. set trigger to "alternate". took time to understand this myself.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »
I think its a doctored image.
-Time

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 10:17:39 pm »
it has dual timebase. set trigger to "alternate". took time to understand this myself.
i will be astonished if you do understand. could be one of an idea for a new kind of DSO. you will understand it easily if you noticed below:
1) my 1st pic. the DSO middle leg, should it be there?
2) my 2nd pic. whats the white rectangle bottom right? and again the leg.
the conclusion its a 5 minute lousy image editing ;)

@Time: "doctored" image? took time to understand this myself :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:20:48 pm by shafri »

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:47:45 pm »
doctored image = photo-chopped a.k.a. photo-shopped

:D

-Time

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:04 pm »
Yes, you got it right in the second image.

I find it annoying that there is only one vertical control section. Especially because if you chose Ch. 1 when it's already chosen, it will switch off the channel.

Of course it's an image of a real unit... just as this is an image of a real dog. ;)

BTW: You can activate alternate trigger for photo-chopped operation? ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf