Author Topic: Basic Power Supply  (Read 16208 times)

Offline psysc0rpi0nTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Basic Power Supply
« on: July 27, 2019, 01:33:16 pm »
Hello.

I'm seeking advice.
I want to purchase a basic power supply for home and/or hobby usage.
Not many features needed, just the basic for security like over current protection (maybe not the correct wording. Is it reverse current?).

I probably won't need more than 30V and maybe up to 10A (5A would also be OK I guess).

I think 2 channels is almost mandatory to have the possibility of having access to mirrored voltages!

What brands would you suggest up to about 150€???

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Basic Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »
If that exist i buy also.
You need more money.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 02:09:06 pm »
What can I get up to that price?

Edited;

I have no clue about brands but looks like that with less than 250€ I won't get anything with 2 channels. Disregarding the price, what are low budget options with 2 ch?

Global Specialties brand is anything good?

I found this LeCroy but it's almost 500€...
Link Lecroy Teledyne T3PS23203
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:23:57 pm by psysc0rpi0n »

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 02:33:12 pm »
There are 3 channel PSUs for around 300 Siglent SPD3303C only i dont want that brand.
I like the iTech 6302 for around 500, only its still chinese crap.
Better bring 1400 euro for some quality rhode & schwartz, they just increased the prices from 1250 to 1400, now i can not afford that even more ( not that NGE crap model ).

I see there is a UNI-T UTP3303C also, i would not buy that brand.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:36:03 pm by Jan Audio »

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »
1. https://www.welectron.com/Korad-KD3305D-Labornetzteil_1
2. https://www.welectron.com/Korad-KA3305P-Benchtop-Power-Supply

1. 179,- EUR including 19% VAT
2. 229,- EUR including 19% VAT

Shipping from Germany to Portugal about 10 EUR only with DHL

No. 2 I can suggest, it works very well for the price. No. 1 may be very similar in quality.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:44:17 pm by Candid »

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 03:42:08 pm »
Remember this : if your PSU fails, they keep sending it back to china until you have no more warranty,
the same counts for the R&S brand ( not to china then ), they dont fail as often.
With these prices it is expensive gambling.

Peaktech looks nice, it is not trusty, even before warranty ends.
No real quality control they told me in this forum.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 03:47:29 pm »
I got a Korad from Welectron and it was faulty and I got it replaced without any costs for me even no postage costs for sending the faulty unit back to them. I got a DHL returning ticket sent from Welectron. Perfect service and good prices.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 03:52:59 pm »
Ah that is better if you get a new fresh model without repairs, if a shop can guarantee that to me i certainly buy any brand from them.
New model with new guarantee that is.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 04:01:49 pm »
There are 3 channel PSUs for around 300 Siglent SPD3303C only i dont want that brand.
Better bring 1400 euro for some quality rhode & schwartz, they just increased the prices from 1250 to 1400, now i can not afford that even more ( not that NGE crap model ).

OOhhh no way. That would cost more than my Scope...
If I buy a better power supply, it will be at most 500€. And it cannot be right now. I need to wait to get my hands on that money!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »
I have lots of power supplies, none of which I purchased new.  Swap meets, auctions, friends, all have helped stock my laboratory.  Not to mention the learning factor in trying to repair a unit that didn't do what it was intended.

I just bought a power supply at a swap meet for $2.  It had a shorted diode across the output.  It works great now, up to 18V at 2A with digital meters and current limiting.

The guy who sold it to me predicted that I would have it working in 5 minutes.  He was wrong; it took 15 minutes because it had two problems.  The other one was that the binding posts had been interchanged so it put out reverse voltage if you believed the colors.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 04:07:55 pm »
That velleman dont even has a type number, how can youtube find it then ?,
if its not on youtube from a user i dont like buying at all.

Owon oscilloscopes also looks nice, only no one on youtube has it, must have a reason maybe because no one has one.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
if its not on youtube from a user i dont like buying at all.

Owon oscilloscopes also looks nice, only no one on youtube has it, must have a reason maybe because no one has one.

Well, I'm not looking for scopes. That's was just a comment on the price you told me for a good Power Supply. Not even my scope cost that much. And it's a cheap one too but it fits my needs so far. It's a basic Rigol MSO1104Z.

So to buy a Power Supply that costs more than a scope it's not reasonable for me not even in my possibilities. I can't afford such a power supply. I may consider something around those 400€ or 500€ max but not right now! I need to save some more to be able to purchase such power supply!

Offline Nornand

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »

LABPS23023

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 06:43:57 pm »

LABPS23023

Can't find reviews, tests or anything relevant about that brand!

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 07:29:31 pm »
A couple of years ago I got a Tenma 72-8335A which has 2 channels @ 24V 1A/CH plus a 5V/2A channel, and it continues to serve me very well. Since then I've acquired a used Topward 6303A which is more in line with what you are considering. However, I still find that my Tenma is often adequate for the testing that I need to do.

Most digital and op-amp circuits can get by on 24V / 1A. There will be times when you need more volts or amps, but I've always been able to cobble together another power supply to do the job. Step-down converters like the Ruideng offerings make this easy and offer very good performance.

I got my Tenma for around $80 on sale from Newark. It's not available from the major distributors anymore, but I found this link selling used ones - and they have a European phone number:

(link)

The main point I wanted to make, though, is that you might be able to get by with multiple cheaper supplies.

And here's Dave's review of an earlier model Ruideng buck-converter module - the newer ones have a nicer user interface:

https://youtu.be/Cw2AjcczHg4

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:32:37 pm by ledtester »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 08:26:26 pm »

If I buy a better power supply, it will be at most 500€. And it cannot be right now. I need to wait to get my hands on that money!
370 Euro buys you a good 3ch PSU with the ability to parallel to 30V @ 6A and series for 60V @ 3A.
They don't give issues and are a steady good seller here.
https://www.siglenteu.com/power-supplies/spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-programmable-dc-power-supply/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: psysc0rpi0n

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 10:17:16 pm »

370 Euro buys you a good 3ch PSU with the ability to parallel to 30V @ 6A and series for 60V @ 3A.
They don't give issues and are a steady good seller here.
https://www.siglenteu.com/power-supplies/spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-programmable-dc-power-supply/

I like that one way more despite the fact that I didn't need the fancy screen. That might be a good option.

thanks for this suggestion.

Edited;

Ohhh, I just noticed you're a Siglent ditributor, right?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 10:43:04 pm »
Tautech is a Siglent distributor so according to him Siglent is always the best. Too bad he removed the line saying he is a Siglent distributor from his signature. In the 300 to 400 euro ballpark there is a lot of choice from many brands. I setup this URL to show PSUs up to about 500 euro:
https://eleshop.eu/test-measure/power-supplies/filter/price/28-517.html

I have no affiliation with this webshop other than being a customer. They carry a wide variety of brands to cater to any budget and requirement.

BTW: did you look on Ebay or your localised online advertisements website for a used power supply?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:52:03 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 11:03:30 pm »
Since seen that you also got the MSO1104z like me, my advice is to get the DP832, I got it and am happy with it two years now.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 02:12:32 am »
Yep as noted in my profile.

If I thought the X/X-E model PSU's were a POS I wouldn't suggest one as they continue to sell steadily here.
I don't have any issues with them other than with the EU and US websites that still don't show the default display like you can see here on the factory website:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/pdxx.aspx?id=1132&T=2&tid=17

At the end of the day it's your $/Euro to spend on what best fits your needs and budget.
Good luck with your hunt.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 07:51:40 am »
Since seen that you also got the MSO1104z like me, my advice is to get the DP832, I got it and am happy with it two years now.

100% confirm! AFAIK, the DP800 is the only lab supply family available in this price range with the option to enter the settings via a decimal keypad or via the encoder -- it's your choice. Having got other PSUs with encoder / pot only "programming" interface, I always prefer my DP832 or 811. Their base models can be hacked to the full-featured "A" versions. Don't let you talk out of the 832 due to the fact that CH2 and CH3 share a common ground. This has been covered in many contributions and you can use the two main channels in series, in parallel and also to provide a split, symmetric supply. The supply provides the same "headroom" as the Siglent SPD3303X series (2x 32V@3.2A max; 1x 5.3V@3.2A max), Rigol only don't promote it as a feature (maybe they should...).

Consider this: you may not need a 'scope for every single design you build or device you test, but you very likely need a PSU for it so I wouldn't skimp on that one. It may hurt a little more when buying, but later on, you will always enjoy a quality tool.

So my recommendation would be, if you are really sure you don't want a PSU with a decimal keypad, get the Siglent or a second hand "premier" brand PSU (though the second hand market in Europe isn't comparable with the US, it's much more difficult to get a good deal), otherwise get a DP832.

Cheers,
Tom

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 08:19:39 am »
I second the keypad suggestion on a digitally controlled PSU. I have a few of these (from HP/Agilent/Keysight) and I always use the keypad to enter the values. Much quicker than turning an encoder knob for an eternity. On an analog PSU I prefer 10 turn potmeters.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 01:18:14 pm »

That is why i dont buy that brand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf