Author Topic: Basic Power Supply  (Read 16225 times)

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Re: Basic Power Supply
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
Ohhh, I just noticed you're a Siglent ditributor, right?

That is why i dont buy that brand.

Seriously?  Because a distributor recommends the products he sells?

IIRC, tautech has never hidden the fact that he is a Siglent distributor.  It is clearly visible in his profile that can be seen on every single one of his posts.

I'll admit that I have a lot of Siglent gear, and I'm actually thankful to have an active forum member who also represents the brand.  He has provided extremely helpful support for the equipment that I have, but he also contributes extensively in general.  There are many other factory reps here for other brands that chime in occasionally to support/recommend their product and that is it.  Between the two, I'll take the active contributor.

Back to the topic at hand, I've got a few of the SPD-3303X-E's and I haven't had any problems with them.  Sure there are a few things I don't like, such as the lack of a keypad and the anemic third channel.  But, for the price, I think it offers a nice set of features for the money.     

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 03:42:44 pm »
I,m not here to read advertiesements.
If you get direct help in your problem topics is a good thing.

They advising only 1 brand for years, i bet people fall for it.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »
370 Euro buys you a good 3ch PSU with the ability to parallel to 30V @ 6A and series for 60V @ 3A.
They don't give issues and are a steady good seller here.
Very similar to the Korad KA3305P (Programmable benchtop power supply, 3 channels (2x30V/5A, 5V/3A), parallel and serial mode for the 2 30V/5A outputs, 315W total power, 10mV/1mA resolution, USB/RS232 interface) 229,- EUR incl. 19% VAT. THe siglent has a smarter display if needed/preferred and my have better internal electronics. The Korad has better resolution 10mV/1mA.

https://www.welectron.com/Korad-KA3305P-Benchtop-Power-Supply
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 03:54:03 pm by Candid »

Offline psysc0rpi0nTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 04:19:11 pm »
I've been reading posts. It is obvious and I can't see anything wrong with that, that someone representing a brand, that recommends the brand he represents.

So, I'm not paying much attention to those parts os posts that are bringing someone down just for recommending a product they represent. That's not a reason that makes a brand better or worse. Probably, way more important than the brand, is the components used inside the product.

So, I'm thankful I got here at least 3 options. Siglent, Rigol and Korad.

BTW, my multimeter was bought on that electroshop, iirc. It's polish shop, right?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Hans578

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 04:49:59 pm »
I would buy just 2x Peaktech 6225A. Very decent power supplies imo. Doesnt take much room either since they are switching ones. From Reichelt one costs 75 euros so 2x will be excatly 150 euros. They will send all sorts of heavier stuff up to 10kg for 10 euros only all over the Europe.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 05:50:54 pm »
BTW, my multimeter was bought on that electroshop, iirc. It's polish shop, right?
Eleshop.eu is a web shop from the Netherlands.

I would buy just 2x Peaktech 6225A. Very decent power supplies imo. Doesnt take much room either since they are switching ones. From Reichelt one costs 75 euros so 2x will be excatly 150 euros. They will send all sorts of heavier stuff up to 10kg for 10 euros only all over the Europe.
I strongly recommend against using a switching PSU for developing circuits. There is too much (electric) noise coming from these power supplies making it impossible to measure small signals. Switching power supplies are great if you need a lot of power and don't have to care about ripple and noise so much.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:53:25 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2019, 06:29:44 pm »
So, I'm thankful I got here at least 3 options. Siglent, Rigol and Korad.

Since you're considering the Rigol and Korad offerings, you may be interested in this comparison video...

https://youtu.be/EpIxw90Oku8

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 07:14:37 pm »
Thanks for the video.

About the shop, that name rings a bell. I bought my multimeter from a Polish shop. Can't remember the name. They had nice prices.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 02:44:14 am »
Back to the topic at hand, I've got a few of the SPD-3303X-E's and I haven't had any problems with them.  Sure there are a few things I don't like, such as the lack of a keypad and the anemic third channel.  But, for the price, I think it offers a nice set of features for the money.     
I was never fan of that ^ either however the last week or so has me using a single channel SPD1305X for old LA battery recovery where I'm ofen checking current draw and voltages so to keep the battery cool.
When recovering old neglected batteries current draw can change dramatically and while I could set CC charging it doesn't give the same picture about what's going on so I might make adjustments a few times/day.

Despite the lack of a numeric keypad on Siglent PSU's the UI controls are quite adequate by using the Fine control to toggle to the digit you need to adjust and the </> to select the field for adjustment.
Encoder operation permits say *.1 to be reduced to *.0 and then to *-1.9 and the same for any decimal selected.

So while the lack of a numeric keypad might be seen by some as a hindrance to operation I don't feel it is as adjustments can still be made speedily with just the encoder, Fine and </> controls.
In this case Siglent's compact single channel PSU's don't have the front panel real estate for a numeric keypad and an encoder so the choice to reuse the same control layout of their 3ch PSU's makes some sense to me.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
Sure you can make do with an encoder knob but a numeric keypad just is better. If you can buy a PSU with a numeric keypad for the same money, then buy that.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »
Sure you can make do with an encoder knob but a numeric keypad just is better. If you can buy a PSU with a numeric keypad for the same money, then buy that.

Similar money, but the DP800 is a tad larger too.  For me, when I was first comparing I was outfitting a very small bench and space was a premium.  I traded the keypad for the (IIRC) a larger display and the smaller size.  Frankly, the majority of the time I use them it is set and forget.  If I'm really actively hunting for precise values, I'm automating anyway.       

SPD3303X: 225(W)×143(H)×278(D) mm

DP800: 239mm(W) x 157mm(H) x 418mm(D)

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 06:28:48 pm »
I guess I've got to take up the cudgels for the DP800 once again...
Besides the presence of the decimal keypad, there are two more things that I really like a lot about these PSUs: The rubber bumpers, especially those at the back, make it possible to operate the PSU resting on its rear face and to place it next to you on the floor. I found that VERY useful in several situations already. They also permit to set down the instrument on any face except the front (the terminals project).
My second "thumbs up" is the general build quality -- it's literally made like a tank. Siglent also appears to be decent qualiy but definitely not as rigid as the DP800. Korad or Owon and the likes with these flimsy reinforcement straps screwed directly to a tiny tab of the plastic front panel, making the latter a structural component of the (quite heavy) PSU, is something that I wouldn't consider adequate. But of course, electrically these power supplies may also do a good job.
Regarding the Rigol DP800 family, nowadays the issues of the early revisions that Dave highlighted, have been completely solved.
Price-wise, if you're prepared to spend 400 euros, I think some 70 or 80 more to get a more decent unit, shouldn't make much difference. If, on the other hand, your "comfort zone" stretches up to 250 euros, the only options will be the "cheapos". Depending on your application(s), you may even get along fine with a switcher, but if you only once need to check some really sensitive circuitry, you will be at a loss.

In the end, it's your decision -- we can only help with thoughts and information to find the best solution for yourself.

Cheers,
Thomas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 10:25:57 am »
I was out for 2 days. Later when I get home I'll catch up with the thread.

Btw, the shop where I purchased my multimeter was TME.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:07:32 pm by psysc0rpi0n »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 08:25:19 am »
Hi.

I also need to consider space. It's a bit of an issue because as I'm just a newbie, I have all my stuff in my laptop desk which is already being expanded with sits. I have already stuff sitting on a sit next to my laptop esk on my living room... Adding to that, my laptop printer is also on this desk, so space is an issue. So probably I'm going either for the Siglent or Rigol. But still thinking about 2x of the single channel Korad. 60V and 5A is more than enough.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 09:02:00 am »
Double check measurements if you’re tight for room.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Zorc

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 06:50:29 pm »
So probably I'm going either for the Siglent or Rigol. But still thinking about 2x of the single channel Korad. 60V and 5A is more than enough.

I'm considering almost the same.
Still in doubt, but going for 2x the Korad KA3005P seems a very attractive option. In fact, I could do with just one at the moment and I could just buy another one when needed.
Going this route would be a lot cheaper then the mentioned Siglent, and even more then te Rigol.
This guy happily seemed to have swapped his Rigol for 3x Korad: https://youtu.be/EpIxw90Oku8

Seems that most of the past issues with the Korad supply are fixed. See for example: https://youtu.be/562U6G0XTDE
Ofcourse it isn't perfect, but thats also the case for the Siglent and the Rigol.
Specs wise the korads should be a great option, but I'm still not sure how they compare to the Siglent/Rigol, quality wise (i.e. reliability, noise etc.).
On the other hand, if one of the Korads would fail on me I could just buy another one and it would still be cheaper....
Must admit I kinda like the Siglent, but not sure if it is worht the price (for my use).

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2019, 08:54:13 pm »

Very similar to the Korad KA3305P (Programmable benchtop power supply, 3 channels (2x30V/5A, 5V/3A), parallel and serial mode for the 2 30V/5A outputs, 315W total power, 10mV/1mA resolution, USB/RS232 interface) 229,- EUR incl. 19% VAT. THe siglent has a smarter display if needed/preferred and my have better internal electronics. The Korad has better resolution 10mV/1mA.

https://www.welectron.com/Korad-KA3305P-Benchtop-Power-Supply

I have this Korad and like it a lot. I preferred a linear power supply for the lower noise. The transformer in it is huge. I've only used it a handful of times but will do some extensive testing of it in the fall when I get back to Arizona for the winter. I took it apart when I got it and nothing about it scared me. YMMV.  :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 09:44:55 pm »
I still haven't bought the power supply. Priorities came in the meantime (daughter school stuff). But I'm under pressure now because the power supply I've been using for the past few years is of a friend of mine and he told me he will need it soon.

What you guys have to say about the above Korad posted in the previous post?

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 01:02:16 am »
I still haven't bought the power supply. Priorities came in the meantime (daughter school stuff). But I'm under pressure now because the power supply I've been using for the past few years is of a friend of mine and he told me he will need it soon.

I'm not sure which unit you're currently interested in, but I have the KA3005D ($65) and KA6003P($80).  Bought as returns from Amazon about 2 years ago.  Replaced fans immediately with temperature controlled units (probe on heat sink).  Software is basic and buggy, but does at least add some value.  Remote control of course, more memory buttons, logging, and a step function where it will follow a list of voltage/current/time values.

The 30V 5A unit is on the workshop bench, 60V 3A programmable is on the electronics bench.

They work, I got them for a good price, I'm happy enough with them.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2019, 09:17:39 am »

I'm not sure which unit you're currently interested in, but I have the KA3005D ($65) and KA6003P($80).  Bought as returns from Amazon about 2 years ago.  Replaced fans immediately with temperature controlled units (probe on heat sink).  Software is basic and buggy, but does at least add some value.  Remote control of course, more memory buttons, logging, and a step function where it will follow a list of voltage/current/time values.

The 30V 5A unit is on the workshop bench, 60V 3A programmable is on the electronics bench.

They work, I got them for a good price, I'm happy enough with them.

I was referring to the Korad KA3005P and Kora KA3305P. But I think I will go for the 2x Korad KA3005P. 2 real inependant channels (2 completely isolated grounds), more combined power (if 3x of this are compared with the KA3305P), cheaper because I don't need 3 of them, more space saving, more weight saving. I hope the buggy software is not that bad as you mention!

An will this "welectron" site be the cheapest site where the power supply is being sold?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:22:42 am by psysc0rpi0n »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2019, 09:46:36 am »
Let me propose another option for you:

https://youtu.be/bSkeV2ezuBs

- 32V, 5A output
- 4 digit displays for both voltage and current
- CC, OVP, OCP, OTP protection
- can be used in series and parallel configurations
- extremely lightweight and compact
- only $60
- has Voltlog's stamp of approval

It's not a linear supply, but in retrospect I've never needed a linear supply. The radio circuits / experiments I've done were all battery powered.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:52:59 am by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: djadeski

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2019, 08:10:28 pm »
I'd propose a 3A-5A linear supply and then a 10A or higher switch mode supply.  I have a 15V 40A unit.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2019, 09:25:24 pm »
Everybody gets to make their own choice. 

Rigol and Siglent pretty much dominate the space for economically priced test equipment.  I have the Rigol DP832 PS and it works fine.  The SPS3303X-E is about $160 cheaper than the DP832 (according to Amazon).  Either will do the job.

I'm not sure that the Rigol digital entry is worth $160.  Once a voltage is set, it pretty much stays set.  At least in my world...

Everybody around here expects tautech to promote Siglent but in my readings he has always been totally fair in describing features and failings.  I have the Siglent SDG 2082X AWG and it works great.

I am considering one of the Siglent scopes but until I buy one, I'll use my Rigol DS1054Z  Maybe that 350 MHz 2 channel Siglent since I already have the 4 channel requirement satisfied albeit at 100 MHz.

I have no particular brand loyalty, I just want reasonable performance for a reasonable price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf