Author Topic: Batronix - A mixed DS1054Z RMA experience  (Read 14583 times)

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Re: Batronix - A mixed DS1054Z RMA experience
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 03:51:10 am »
Batronix certainly did at least one thing wrong-

By being cheap, this thread is now preserved for eternity. Seems like an expensive customer service decision on their part.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 11:24:19 am »
They're not going to fix it - it's going in the dumpster on arrival, or maybe they get reimbursed by Rigol CN who throw it in the dumpster on their end.  The main reason they want you to send it to them is so they don't get taken advantage of by scammers - they really don't care about the scope per se.  There may also be accounting or tax reasons they or Rigol CN need to receive it.  It would be silly to pay to insure something that's going in the dumpster on arrival anyway.

But when the packet with the broken scope gets lost, they will consider you a scammer, because you didn't send the broken scope. So you lost your broken scope and won't get a working one in return. If the packet would have been insured you would get the money to buy a new one. The broken scope isn't worth much by itself but the warranty attached to it is. So the broken scope, while within the warranty period, has nearly the same value as a brand new one for you.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 11:50:18 am »

By being cheap, this thread is now preserved for eternity. Seems like an expensive customer service decision on their part.

Quoted for truth. Amazing how many companies are willing to piss away customer goodwill over some absolutely trivial amount of money.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:35 pm »
I have to say, the first thing I thought when I read the opening post was, "Shit, postal rates/rules in Denmark are completely ridiculous!" Maybe that's why the Batronix people reacted the way they did? Perhaps it's time for the Danes to opt-in to the Euro?  ;)

From the Netherlands, a package by normal post between 2 - 5kg (which is what the DS1054Z weighs) is, at base level, automatically insured for € 500 - and to send it to Germany costs € 21.15. If you want extra insurance (up to € 5,500), the cost is € 27.00
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:05:40 pm by marmad »

Online bingo600Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »
Postal rates are very expensive in Denmark/Sweden, seems like the falling number of letters due to e-mail has to be compensated by increasing all postal rates.

Did you check if the insurance you mention is also valid when sending to other countries ?

I could NOT find any info about insurance when sending a package abroad, on the Post Denmark homepage.
And therefore told the lady at the postoffice, that i needed a coverage for 400€.
She said that then i needed to insure it for that amount.

/Bingo

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »
Did you check if the insurance you mention is also valid when sending to other countries ?

Sure - here's a link for rates / insurance coverage to all international destinations from the Netherlands - you can just chose the country from the drop-down menu:

http://www.postnl.nl/tarieven/tarieven-pakketten/?country=DE

I had to send an MSO1074Z to the Czech Republic last week - the weight was over 5kgs (because of the extra connectors, grabbers, etc) and I wanted the full €5,500 insurance, so it cost € 38.50.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 07:00:04 pm »
I had to send an MSO1074Z to the Czech Republic last week - the weight was over 5kgs (because of the extra connectors, grabbers, etc) and I wanted the full €5,500 insurance, so it cost € 38.50.

That's a nice price for the postage , not for the MSO1074Z  ;)
But unfortunately not so for packages here in DK.

/Bingo

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
I think it's perfectly reasonable to have to pay the freight back to the supplier for a warranty repair.  It's not the supplier's fault that the customer is not local to them.  If you wish to insure the package against loss or damage, then that's also up to you.

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:39 pm »
I think it's perfectly reasonable to have to pay the freight back to the supplier for a warranty repair.  It's not the supplier's fault that the customer is not local to them.  If you wish to insure the package against loss or damage, then that's also up to you.

It's not the buyer's fault that the supplier sent him a broken product and the buyer shouldn't incur any loss because of it. It's the seller's responsibility to fix the situation and saying that they will send a new one, once they receive the broken one, but at the same time asking you not to get proper insurance for shipping, is basically forcing you to take the risk of losing all your money or to pay extra for their failure (they sent you a broken item).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:10 pm »
+1
Really a distributor should ensure the unit at least powers up, do a couple of checks, then dispatch.
If a problem then arises, one would imagine the customer has made a error in usage and return should be at their cost.
For goodwill, your distributor MIGHT return at his cost, however if a model/series has ongoing issues the distributor must protect their profitability as it's likely the manufacturer won't reimburse the freight.
It's a bit of a minefield IMHO and big distributors will have a set shipping policy, probably inflexible too.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 11:22:18 am »

Actually we don't need to discuss this because the German seller has to pay for anything related to a warranty case, i.e. during the warranty period required by law (extented warranties are something else). This includes shipping or picking up the broken device.

Back to the question about the insurance (did some research). When the buyer sends the broken device back to the seller for a warranty repair the seller has to take all risks. If the device is damaged even more by transport, it's the problem of the seller. But to have proof of everything the buyer should take a picture of the broken device put into the packet, also a witness would be great, and he should have a receipt tag from the post office that he has sent the packet, i.e. given it to the post office. Therefore an insurance isn't needed and the seller doesn't have to reimburse that. The only thing to complain is that Batronix didn't tell bingo600 how to send the scope in more detail.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 12:14:58 pm »

Actually we don't need to discuss this because the German seller has to pay for anything related to a warranty case, i.e. during the warranty period required by law (extented warranties are something else). This includes shipping or picking up the broken device.

Does that condition apply when a German seller sells an item to somewhere outside of Germany?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »

Does that condition apply when a German seller sells an item to somewhere outside of Germany?

It applies to any EU business selling anywhere within the EU. There are some minor country to country variations but they should meet the spirit of the European directive.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »
Back to the question about the insurance (did some research). When the buyer sends the broken device back to the seller for a warranty repair the seller has to take all risks. If the device is damaged even more by transport, it's the problem of the seller. But to have proof of everything the buyer should take a picture of the broken device put into the packet, also a witness would be great, and he should have a receipt tag from the post office that he has sent the packet, i.e. given it to the post office. Therefore an insurance isn't needed and the seller doesn't have to reimburse that. The only thing to complain is that Batronix didn't tell bingo600 how to send the scope in more detail.

The vitness part seems undoable, from a trustpoint of view.

So the package delivery slip that i got, was enough proof that i have shipped back the scope to Batronix, if somehow it got lost ?

That would have been a nice info to get from Batrionix, prior to me shipping.

When they wrote they would ship a new one, when they have received the broken one.
I was quite sure that if they didn't receive it, i would NOT have gotten a new one.
Package receipt or not.

/Bingo
/Bingo

Offline Mariuz

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 01:06:53 pm »

Just made this acct to post that we decided against them as a supplier for the time being, based on this incident. A company that tells customers they will be reimbursed without specifying the conditions, then refuses to honor terms after the customer has spent the funds to be reimbursed, rather than sinking the cost with an “in the future...” comment and reviewing their internal guidelines for communications, has an unacceptable attitude to customer satisfaction and customer service. I don’t want dealing with a supplier to be like pulling teeth, and this interaction tells me that’s exactly what will be the case any time it’s more convenient for them to give us the finger.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this warning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf