Author Topic: Benchtop drill press or decent handheld rotary tool?  (Read 9236 times)

Offline seb1982Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Benchtop drill press or decent handheld rotary tool?
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:39 am »
Hi everyone!

I'm slowly kitting myself out with decent tools and equipment, and I'm in need of a reliable method to drill 0.8mm holes in homemade PCBs.

I'm looking at the Proxxon TBM 220 Bench Press drill (website: http://www.brimarc.com/products/Proxxon-TBM-220-Bench-Drill-725383.htm) with a 0.5 - 6mm chuck.

I was trying to use a small DC motor with collet attachment that I got for a couple of pounds from eBay, but (no surprise, really), the rotational accuracy at the end of the drill bit is not nearly good enough for holes that small.

Has anyone used this tool or similar, and do you think it is likely to be significantly better than getting a Proxxon handheld rotary tool and decent Proxxon drill stand?  I know the Dremel ones are meant to be pretty poor, though.  I was just wondering whether, as well as being significantly cheaper, the handheld drill might prove more useful for other jobs too.  But I really don't want to compromise on being able to do very accurate, small holes.

I presume that as the TBM 220 is a bench press, it will be happy taking carbide drill bits, but do you think its top speed of 8,500 rpm would be sufficient?

Anyway, any thoughts or opinions very welcome!  Thanks, guys.  Don't know what I'd do without this forum - I'd be too worried about buying the wrong things all the time!

Smoking and melted? It was like that when I got here.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Benchtop drill press or decent handheld rotary tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:58:54 am »
Get yourself a Proxxon Drill stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28606-MICROMOT-Drill-Stand/dp/B000209ZAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368672573&sr=8-1&keywords=proxxon+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28600-Micromot-Drill-Stand/dp/B00934X6BO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1368672573&sr=8-7&keywords=proxxon+stand

The expensive MB 200 is suited for milling operation, if you want to do drilling only then MB 140S will suffice. Amazon ships the MB140 to Australia too.

Next, you can attach whatever rotary tool you have with a hack to fit in the 3/4" or 20mm collar. Otherwise you can get the Proxxon 12V Micromot 50

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28512-12-Volt-Micromot-Rotary/dp/B000S5KO3K/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1368672906&sr=1-1&keywords=proxxon+micromot

You can power the tool with a DC powersupply, the AC speed control will not work, just vary the PSU voltage for different RPM. Or build a PWM control for full torque. I don't have a problem with drilling 3.2mm x 30mm hole into a block of Aluminium, any larger hole you should use a bigger tool.

The reason for Proxxon is because they are nicely balanced tool with little vibration, and they make accurate holes due to less spindle runout. You can use the Proxxon free hand if required. And finally it has weaker motor so it's quite safe, it kills you slower than the mains powered Dremel.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:02:05 am by nukie »

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:48 am »
8,500 rpm is fine for carbide bits.  I have a 10,000 rpm pully set on my mill and run carbide bits at about 6,000 to 7,000 rpm with no problems.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:27 am »
Oh, crap!  Just realised I posted this in the wrong forum section.  Meant to post it in "Other Equipment".

Sorry about that, Dave & everyone.  :-[

Offline Fuse_Burner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:28:39 am »
8500rpm with a .0315" drill bit is only 70sfm. You can drill exotic, hi temp alloys at that speed.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:19:08 am »
I'm slowly kitting myself out with decent tools and equipment, and I'm in need of a reliable method to drill 0.8mm holes in homemade PCBs.

Not wanting to be pedantic but you have posted in the wrong place (this area is for Test Instruments), this should have been posted in 'Other Euipment & Products'.   :--

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:41:36 am »
With that small a bit you need the stand, nobody is steady enough to hand hold it not to snal brittle bits.

Offline Fuse_Burner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:51:04 am »
With that small a bit you need the stand, nobody is steady enough to hand hold it not to snal brittle bits.
Exactly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:52 am »
Not wanting to be pedantic but you have posted in the wrong place
Yep - I noticed and commented on my mistake myself a few moments after posting.  Unfortunately, I can't see that I can do anything about it now, unless anyone can advise me of an editing feature I've missed.  Apologies to warrant the " :--"

Absolutely.  I guess my query could be boiled down to whether the Proxxon handheld drill when used with their stand accessory is good enough (i.e. significantly better than the Dremel equivalent), or whether I need to buy the full MB200 specifically-designed drill press.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:58 am »
Yep - I noticed and commented on my mistake myself a few moments after posting.  Unfortunately, I can't see that I can do anything about it now, unless anyone can advise me of an editing feature I've missed.  Apologies to warrant the " :--"

No worries. I just gets a bit annoying if you check the thread list of a certain subgroup and find it gets more and more cluttered by stuff like soldering irons which should really go in one of the other areas Dave has created specifically for this purpose.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:24 pm »
The Proxxon stand is very sturdy and it does 0.25mm holes no issue at all. This is with the Micromot 50.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf