Author Topic: Best Brand Name for an Oscilloscope?  (Read 12362 times)

Offline MrAlTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Brand Name for an Oscilloscope?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 01:07:43 am »
The lists are randomly compiled.

Owon has some interesting models but probably is on the low end of the good list. Don't have any experience with them though.

Placed Hantek on the avoid list because of the DSO2D10 I have and it is not very good. Believe they do have some older models that are not that bad, but for prices that get you Siglent or Rigol scopes.

The FNIRSI models can measure just shy of 100MHz based on the fact that they sample with 200MSa/s, but above somewhere in the 40MHz range, they start to calculate a perfect sine based on the measured frequency and amplitue and show that on the screen.

Yes i realize that scopes can 'measure' beyond their actual tested bandwidth it's just that then the amplitude becomes reduced for those upper frequencies so it would only be useful on a sine wave.  A square wave would show signs of high frequency cutoff and thus becomes somewhat rounded.
The test i had to use was with a square wave of known rise time because we didnt have a frequency generator that goes above 24MHz.

For my Instrustar scope they quote it at 20MHz BW but i measured 15MHz, a little different not too bad i guess, i didnt need it for high frequency work anyway so what the heck.  It's a PC type though have to use it with a PC or Laptop which is sort of a pain.
I got a little guy with only 1MHz sampling rate and seems like it's not good for anything, but i was able to easily read all the signal patterns of every IR remote control i had.  It was something like $24 dollars USD ha ha.  One channel only the Instrustar has 2 channels.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 01:25:00 am »
'Best' is always related to requirements, money and -if possible- the ability to improve a product yourself and still get a good deal.

Sometimes I buy equipment from an A-brand, sometimes I buy equipment from a low cost brand and do some improvements to it. It all starts with careful research into what I need and how much money I can spend. Like most people I like to spend as little as possible. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and just spend the money to buy something good. Cry once and smile forever. Over the years I have bought various pieces of equipment (not necessarily electronics related) that I regret buying. But having the crappy machine also kind of prevents me from upgrading because I already have a machine that sort of works. IOW: it is easy to get stuck in your own momentum.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:40:30 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 02:18:49 am »
For my Instrustar scope they quote it at 20MHz BW but i measured 15MHz, a little different not too bad i guess,

You must have gotten a real good one.  I picked one of these a few years back for shits and giggles because it was the absolute cheapest 20MHz (advertissed) scope.  I think I paid $55 CDN for it and was going to use it on my vintage computer bench.  However, mine measures a lot worse than yours.

The first shot is a 500KHz reference @ 5V amplitude.  The cursors are set for -3dB.

The 2nd shot is at 10MHz.  You can see it is well below the -3dB point.  This is barely an 9MHz scope

As a backup, the 3rd shot is a 2ns rise time oscillator.  You can see being as generous as I can the rise time on the Instrustar is 46ns, giving us a bandwidth of about 8.7MHz.  Which agrees with the measurement above.

Not a stellar performer.  And the bandwidth is just the beginning of the disappointment.  Definitely should be added to the "Do not buy!!!!!!" category.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:24:54 am by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 05:05:17 pm »
'Best' is always related to requirements, money and -if possible- the ability to improve a product yourself and still get a good deal.

Sometimes I buy equipment from an A-brand, sometimes I buy equipment from a low cost brand and do some improvements to it. It all starts with careful research into what I need and how much money I can spend. Like most people I like to spend as little as possible. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and just spend the money to buy something good. Cry once and smile forever. Over the years I have bought various pieces of equipment (not necessarily electronics related) that I regret buying. But having the crappy machine also kind of prevents me from upgrading because I already have a machine that sort of works. IOW: it is easy to get stuck in your own momentum.

Yeah that's what i am seeing it is coming down to, a tradeoff.
I also see some other functions which are nice too so it's a tough decision to make.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 05:06:40 pm »
For my Instrustar scope they quote it at 20MHz BW but i measured 15MHz, a little different not too bad i guess,

You must have gotten a real good one.  I picked one of these a few years back for shits and giggles because it was the absolute cheapest 20MHz (advertissed) scope.  I think I paid $55 CDN for it and was going to use it on my vintage computer bench.  However, mine measures a lot worse than yours.

The first shot is a 500KHz reference @ 5V amplitude.  The cursors are set for -3dB.

The 2nd shot is at 10MHz.  You can see it is well below the -3dB point.  This is barely an 9MHz scope

As a backup, the 3rd shot is a 2ns rise time oscillator.  You can see being as generous as I can the rise time on the Instrustar is 46ns, giving us a bandwidth of about 8.7MHz.  Which agrees with the measurement above.

Not a stellar performer.  And the bandwidth is just the beginning of the disappointment.  Definitely should be added to the "Do not buy!!!!!!" category.

Wow that's amazing, that it could be so much different than mine.  Maybe it was made in a different place or a fake copy?
Are you using the right probes too?  I use 100MHz rated probes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2022, 05:09:44 pm »
The lists are randomly compiled.

Owon has some interesting models but probably is on the low end of the good list. Don't have any experience with them though.

Placed Hantek on the avoid list because of the DSO2D10 I have and it is not very good. Believe they do have some older models that are not that bad, but for prices that get you Siglent or Rigol scopes.

The FNIRSI models can measure just shy of 100MHz based on the fact that they sample with 200MSa/s, but above somewhere in the 40MHz range, they start to calculate a perfect sine based on the measured frequency and amplitue and show that on the screen.

Hey i was wondering, what do you think about the Owon scopes that also have a 22000 count multimeter built in?  They look feature ridden for around $150 USD or so.  The screen isnt as big as the more main stream ones, but that doesnt really bother me at all.
They are claiming units rated for 40, 70, and 100Mhz.  All have that built in 22000 count meter which i would really love to have in a portable device.  I cant take my bench meter anywhere  :-DD

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2022, 06:24:29 pm »
Are you using the right probes too?  I use 100MHz rated probes.

Direct connection.  The FG is a Siglent SDG1062X connected by 18" of coax.  The fast risetime oscillator connects directly to the scope input.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:26:29 pm by BillyO »
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2022, 06:40:06 pm »
The fast risetime oscillator connects directly to the scope input.

Do you have a link to a vendor or project for that device?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2022, 07:17:32 pm »
I would only put Owon's VDS1022/VDS1022I on the category of good price/performance ratio. Others reported several issues with their offers, including some videos from Dave himself.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 07:38:41 pm »
Do you have a link to a vendor or project for that device?

Unfortunately not yet.  I may do a video on the next version of it.  Even if I don't do the video I'll do a post in this forum on the project.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2022, 08:16:43 pm »
Hey i was wondering, what do you think about the Owon scopes that also have a 22000 count multimeter built in?  They look feature ridden for around $150 USD or so.  The screen isnt as big as the more main stream ones, but that doesnt really bother me at all.
They are claiming units rated for 40, 70, and 100Mhz.  All have that built in 22000 count meter which i would really love to have in a portable device.  I cant take my bench meter anywhere  :-DD

There are some threads about these handhelds here on the forum. Believe Hantek also has one, but think the reviewers like the Owon better. Just search for the model numbers and you will find the threads.

As said I don't have experience with Owon myself, but do think they have some interesting models due to them having 14 bit ADC's, which of course up's the price.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 08:25:25 pm »
The fast risetime oscillator connects directly to the scope input.
Are you making these Billy ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 09:05:07 pm »
I may, once I have them where I want them and there is enough demand for them.  Otherwise I can just make the files available.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:04 pm »
I may, once I have them where I want them and there is enough demand for them.  Otherwise I can just make the files available.
I drew one up much the same in Altium and was to home etch it but TT with current printer is a mess so needing one quick I splashed out and got the Leo Bodnar one, expensive but to get down to a 30ps edge totally worth it.
He's put his price up 10 GBP so at 60 now there's plenty of room to undercut him with a cheaper product.
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=295
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 09:31:52 pm »
He's put his price up 10 GBP so at 60 now there's plenty of room to undercut him with a cheaper product.
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=295
Mine will not be going down to 30ps!  I'll be looking to get it below 2ns, but by the same token it could be built for about $5.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:55 pm »
Mine will not be going down to 30ps!  I'll be looking to get it below 2ns, but by the same token it could be built for about $5.
Yep it's darn fast and came with a 20 GHz sampling scope readout and RT measurement.
Leo is a member here so it might be worth you digging through his topics where IIRC the development of his pulser is documented.

2ns I can better from any SDG6000X AWG and in reality beating that with a home knocked together pulser using a  ****14 IC wasn't gunna be easy so I bit the bullet and got that one from Leo which featured in the very recent Defpom review of our SDS6204A.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 10:06:11 pm »
The bigger problem with Leo Bodnar's (at least the one fitted with the BNC) is that it's out of stock.  I don't know how often he does a build run, but I speculate that pandemic shortages have had an effect and that when he does get stock it goes pretty fast?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2022, 10:14:23 pm »
The bigger problem with Leo Bodnar's (at least the one fitted with the BNC) is that it's out of stock.  I don't know how often he does a build run, but I speculate that pandemic shortages have had an effect and that when he does get stock it goes pretty fast?
It might be just demand as when reality hits that building something as fast as Leo’s is not straightforward and he’s having trouble meeting demand. I’ve had mine for a year and stock at that time was no problem and UK to NZ delivery was pretty quick, a couple weeks IIRC.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:19 pm »
They say they should be back in stock in the next few days.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2022, 10:30:13 pm »
Do you have a SDG1032X ?
They're specified max 3.8 ns square wave RT straight outta the box and somewhat better than the SDG2000X models. Only the SDG6000X is a little faster and they ain't exactly cheap.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2022, 10:31:11 pm »
Yep it's darn fast and came with a 20 GHz sampling scope readout and RT measurement.
Leo is a member here so it might be worth you digging through his topics where IIRC the development of his pulser is documented.

2ns I can better from any SDG6000X AWG and in reality beating that with a home knocked together pulser using a  ****14 IC wasn't gunna be easy so I bit the bullet and got that one from Leo which featured in the very recent Defpom review of our SDS6204A.
Well, I'm hoping this thing will be a bit faster than 2ns (not by much .. I'm realistic) but be something the hobbyist guy with a 200MHz or less scope can check out his system bandwidth for a tad less than the SDG6000X. :)  Or do TDR measurements.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:33:49 pm by BillyO »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 10:33:09 pm »
Do you have a SDG1032X ?
They're specified max 3.8 ns square wave RT straight outta the box and somewhat better than the SDG2000X models. Only the SDG6000X is a little faster and they ain't exactly cheap.
I do.  I have an "improved" one.  But this thing is just  project for the fun of it .. to see what I can do for really, really cheap.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:07 pm »

Well, I'm hoping this thing will be a bit faster than 2ns (not by much .. I'm realistic) but be something the hobbyist guy with a 200MHz or less scope can check out his system bandwidth for a tad less than the SDG6000X. :)
:)
Yes it's real nice having all this gear and bit disappointed I didn't check the SDS6204A 2 GHz BW before recently selling our hacked improved SSA3021X. Defpom came up with some figure for BW with Leo's pulser and another with the TG output from his CMU200 and annoyingly I can't argue otherwise without checking it myself with another RF gen. Best I have now is some old HP 520 MHz thing that's a PITA to use as there's a mechanical fault in it that has the frequency adjustment stick.  :--
Maybe I need get the SVA1032X and it's TG out............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 10:42:33 pm »
Very fast risetime pulse gen:

http://www.starlino.com/build-a-really-fast-pulse-generator-50ps-rise-time-using-an-ultra-fast-sige-comparator.html

Interesting stuff but this here:

Luckily Analog Devices offers an inexpensive ADCMP580 demo board, I picked mine from Mouser for around 50 dollars.

Is actually meant as a joke - follow his link to the demoboard on mouser and see the price...

The chip itself cost about 25 bucks..

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf