Author Topic: Best DMM and LCR for small low voltage circuits ie cell phones and tablets  (Read 1096 times)

Online BirdManPhilTopic starter

• Contributor
Ive been doing a ton of board work on cel phones and tablets over the past couple years and I've gotten by with my cheap $30 Chinese dmm, and my more expensive 5.5 digit Hantek bench dmm. 
Bith meters are very sluggish in continuity (beep) mode. Neither Meter has any lcr functions but can guestimate capacitance roughly.
I am looking to up my game alot this summer by obtaining a high quality accurate dmm and also an lcr meter.

I'd like a dmm or lcr meter that can accurately measure the teeny tiny caps on iphone logic boards for example, as well as provide almost immediate audible alerts when using beep mode. I can't stand how long i have to wait for my meters to register continuity.

Separate continuity/ohm/diode modes are a must.

High voltage and high current abilities aren't necessary at all. I'm more concerned with the accuracy of low voltage, low resistance and low capacitance measurements as well as responsiveness.
Data logging and or pc interface is also nice but not 100% necessary

I am looking at a few different fluke handheld dmms as well as a few lcr meters.
I might grab 2 lcr meters, the shannon st42 tweezers and a de-5000

Any advice or dmm recommendations would be appreciated tyvm.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Ive been doing a ton of board work on cel phones and tablets over the past couple years and I've gotten by with my cheap $30 Chinese dmm, and my more expensive 5.5 digit Hantek bench dmm. 
Bith meters are very sluggish in continuity (beep) mode. Neither Meter has any lcr functions but can guestimate capacitance roughly.
I am looking to up my game alot this summer by obtaining a high quality accurate dmm and also an lcr meter.

I'd like a dmm or lcr meter that can accurately measure the teeny tiny caps on iphone logic boards for example, as well as provide almost immediate audible alerts when using beep mode. I can't stand how long i have to wait for my meters to register continuity.

Separate continuity/ohm/diode modes are a must.

High voltage and high current abilities aren't necessary at all. I'm more concerned with the accuracy of low voltage, low resistance and low capacitance measurements as well as responsiveness.
Data logging and or pc interface is also nice but not 100% necessary

I am looking at a few different fluke handheld dmms as well as a few lcr meters.

Welcome to the forum.

IMO you need skip any thoughts of DMM's for fine SMD work and get proper SMD smart tweezers that provide very fast readings and a pile of features.
I highly recommend these from member Shannon:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/design-a-new-precision-lcr-tweezers/

AliExpress listing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004239869204.html?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
+1 for the Shannon ST42 tweezers. They're fantastic. If you want something truly better, you'll need to spend at least 10 times as much on a bench meter. If budget isn't an issue, than get yourself the Shannon tweezers, and a Sourcetronic ST2830 or ST2832. You can get tweezers that attach to the LCR bench meters, but even that attachment will cost as much as the Shannon tweezers if you don't buy generic.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Kowolski

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
Pay attention to this device - it will good replace all the other lcr meters you have listed before  ;)
https://www.amazon.com/stores/LCR-Reader/LCR-Reader/page/BBF0E19C-D5B7-4E73-AF3A-DFC2CFC8923C
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 06:37:04 am by indman »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Ive been doing a ton of board work on cel phones and tablets over the past couple years

Whatever you get, get some super fine precision meter leads like these:
https://www.amazon.com/POMONA-6342-TEST-PROBE-SET/dp/B0026GV3A2

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
Pomona 6342 - Small size is good, but not sure I like these lightly sprung probe tips -  :palm:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
IMO you need skip any thoughts of DMM's for fine SMD work and get proper SMD smart tweezers that provide very fast readings and a pile of features.
But a DMM is still needed for continuity testing and voltage measurements. LCR tweezers won't do it.

Speaking of that, there's been a ton of threads and posts specifically regarding the continuity buzzer response speed. Brymens (maybe not all) are good. Same with Flukes. At least some Uni-T meters are also very fast in that.

Another important parameter to watch out for is autoranging speed. Slow autoranging is just as annoying as slow continuity response.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
But a DMM is still needed for continuity testing and voltage measurements. LCR tweezers won't do it.
Yeah well my now retired ST3 smart tweezers had a graphing mode capable of 8V but not sure what the latest ST* versions offer.
Never used it as any slipup would possibly wreck a very valuable tool that even 15 yrs ago cost more than I've spent on all DMM's since.

Another important parameter to watch out for is autoranging speed. Slow autoranging is just as annoying as slow continuity response.
WRT the great ST42, a buddy tried it out against his $ $ Agilent LCR meter the other day and was shocked at the measurement speed and precision.
Immediately said to get one for him.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Pomona 6342 - Small size is good, but not sure I like these lightly sprung probe tips -  :palm:

Yeah, they could be firmer.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
WRT the great ST42, a buddy tried it out against his $ $ Agilent LCR meter the other day and was shocked at the measurement speed and precision.
Immediately said to get one for him.
Yeah, I meant DMMs in that context. I have the ST42 myself. Great tool, and yes, autoranging is very fast indeed.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online BirdManPhilTopic starter

• Contributor
Can I buy these in the US I can't use aliexpres they force delivery with speedx who steals packages
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 10:32:23 pm by BirdManPhil »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Can I buy these in the US I can't use aliexpres they force delivery with speedx who steals packages
ST42 ?

Jump into the ST42 thread and ask Shannon if he has a US reseller:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/design-a-new-precision-lcr-tweezers/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Yeah, they could be firmer.

I like ProbeMaster fine tip probes miles better than that Pomona..

For Pomona I got tip kit that includes solid needles too.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert

Click on the delivery options on the right side.. They give you three options, two are aliexpress.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics

Instead of Pomona 6342, I have bought a few sets of Pomona 6275.  These have the solid stainless tips (quite sharp) instead of the gold pogo spring tips.

I still have to occasionally squeeze the sockets in the handpieces a touch to tighten them up, but I find the smaller probes more convenient.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Instead of Pomona 6342, I have bought a few sets of Pomona 6275.  These have the solid stainless tips (quite sharp) instead of the gold pogo spring tips.

I still have to occasionally squeeze the sockets in the handpieces a touch to tighten them up, but I find the smaller probes more convenient.

That is just a version of bundled combination of probes/tips. I have bought Probes 6342 and tip kit 6354.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
That is just a version of bundled combination of probes/tips. I have bought Probes 6342 and tip kit 6354.

Indeed, I should have mentioned the 6354 tip kit.  I bought one years ago, but found the only tips I continued to use from it were the solid stainless P/N 6213.
It costs almost as much as a new probe set, so not great value unless you will use more than one type or really want the "fancy" multi-point pogo-pins (aka P75-Q1/Q2 I think).

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf