Author Topic: Affordable Low frequency (< 1MHz) network anayzer  (Read 8903 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: Affordable Low frequency (< 1MHz) network anayzer
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:23 am »
Use a DSO and analyze the data using Octave/MATLAB on a PC.  You'll need to collect long records to make up for the 8 bit ADC, but if it won't you can take care of that by collecting  a large number of records. This is dead simple.

You're down below my normal neighborhood of reflection seismology and into earthquake territory.  Though in all failrness, the oil industry is doing a lot better below 10 Hz than we used to.

Purpose built machines are great if you have to do a lot of the same stuff, but for a one off there are cheaper options that are not difficult.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 05:53:56 am »
Well my swept VNA recommendations aren't going to work at/below 0.1Hz. You'll need an FFT-based approach with DC-coupled inputs. Choice of test signal might be interesting... what do you have in mind?

What I am testing is a 01.Hz to 10Hz bandpass 10000x amplifier used to measure the noise on precision voltage sources in the VoltNut area of this Blog.   What I have been doing thus far is using my modified FY6600 signal generator and a lot of 20dB attenuators to generate a small enough signal at specific frequencies from 0.05Hz up to about 20Hz.   I measure each frequency on an oscilloscope and plot the results manually.  It's a slow process and yields only a few points...but good enough to measure the frequency response.   i'm hoping for a better/automated way to do this with greater granularity.

A 2nd application is to charactorize some low-pass filters I've been making for general lab use.   These have cutoff frequencies from a few kHz up to 200Khz.   So the soundcard solution would only cover the low end.  My SA is spec'd down to 9KHz but is really a bit flakey below 100KHz or so.
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline CEHymowitz

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »
Hands Down OMICRON LAB Bode 100. Both a VNA and an FRA. 1-50MHz, $5490
https://www.picotest.com/products_BODE100.html

Independent Review

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »
but he wrote < 1 MHz, not 1MHz - 50 MHz.

I currently have the same problem, in that my ZVB-8 starts only at 300 KHz ( 150 KHz overrange )

I have written a program to do Bode plots with my  Agilent 89441A, but that turned out to be a lot more more work than I hoped for. It gets tricky to achieve a nice dynamic range down in the 1/f region.

regards, Gerhard

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »
The Omicron unit is 1 Hz to 50 MHz.

John
"Those who learn the lessons of history are doomed to know when they are repeating the mistakes of the past." Putt's Law of History

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf