Author Topic: Best fanless lab bench DC power supply?  (Read 9382 times)

Offline PaulStoffregenTopic starter

Best fanless lab bench DC power supply?
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »
Can anyone recommend great fanless DC power supplies?

I only need single output up to 24V.  When under 15V, I'd really like to have up to at least 5 amps, or more.  I don't need PC control or fancy features beyond basic current limit (CV vs CC mode).  I do want display of both the voltage and current, ideally as accurate a decent multimeter.  My equipment shelf allows about 15-16 inch deep gear.  My budget is approx $1200, but of course it'd be nice to spend less.  My main concern is no fan noise!

Currently I'm leaning towards BK Precision 1747.

Is there anything better I should consider?

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best fanless lab bench DC power supply?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »
I hate fans too.

I have a Hameg 7042-5. 
tripple output: 2x0-32V, 2A; 1x2.7-5.5V, 5A
(http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/hameg/powersupplies/hm7042-3.htm)

I recommend you have a look at the R&S HMC8041 power supplies too, except I think they have fans.
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/product/hmc804x-productstartpage_63493-61542.html

I also have a baby agilent, which is not big enough for you. Might be a bigger model. But they are linear and just heat fins.
(E3610A 30W Power Supply, 8V, 3A or 15V, 2A)

Offline rgawron

• Contributor
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:32 am »
I would like to attach here.

Is there a dual lab supply without fan with a numeric keyboard (or at least pushable knob, not separate coarse and fine knobs), without LCD display (bad view angle)? Would be good but not mandatory to show power consumption of an attached device. Should be also relatively modern (=not heavy). Nor Chinese brand nor rebadge under big brand. Price above 2k euros.

I know that above touch a bit of corner cases and so far I couldn't find any such gear.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:22:32 am by rgawron »

Offline PaulStoffregenTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:59 am »
I ended up buying the BK Precision one.

Seems very few lab bench power supplies are fanless these days.  I never found any with 10-key pad and other fancy features without fans.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:38:58 am »
I ended up buying the BK Precision one.

Seems very few lab bench power supplies are fanless these days.  I never found any with 10-key pad and other fancy features without fans.
I usually add my own temperature controlled fan driver circuit which turns the fan off when under 30 deg C and is at full speeds at 50 deg C (measured on the heatsink). It helps a lot to reduce the noise and you often get much less noise even at full load.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:47 am »
Can anyone recommend great fanless DC power supplies?

I only need single output up to 24V.  When under 15V, I'd really like to have up to at least 5 amps, or more.  I don't need PC control or fancy features beyond basic current limit (CV vs CC mode).  I do want display of both the voltage and current, ideally as accurate a decent multimeter.  My equipment shelf allows about 15-16 inch deep gear.  My budget is approx $1200, but of course it'd be nice to spend less.  My main concern is no fan noise!

I recommend the B3008, it meets all of your requirements and the best news is it's only $17.60! You can send the remainder of the $1200 to my address. ;D

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/B3008-precision-CNC-DC-DC-constant-voltage-constant-current-buck-LED-driver-modules-solar-charging/1550355670.html

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:17:10 am »
I have a few of the Thurlby Thandar Instruments PL330 series power supplies on the bench. Linear, convection cooling, 0-32V 0-3V (I know you asked for 5 amps and have bought the bk precision one, this is just another avenue for people looking). Volt meter is to 10mV, ammeter is to 1mA.

I am not too sure if the new ones are still convection cooled or if they have changed over to fans, but you can still get the PL330's on e-bay. They also make a PL330D which is 2 units side by side in one case that you can series / parallel the outputs if needed (Memory is a bit foggy on if it is internal switches or external links).

After about 5 years, the one I use day in day out had drifted about 60mV, very easy to adjust and get back to spot on.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:50 pm »

I recommend the B3008, it meets all of your requirements and the best news is it's only $17.60! You can send the remainder of the $1200 to my address. ;D

That's a module, not a bench power supply.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 03:22:49 pm »
For lower budget fanless power supplies, Tenma has a few models.  I am happy with the 72-8350A.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-8350A

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:25:39 pm by zapta »

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 06:47:29 pm »
Is there anything better I should consider?

I have a BK 9110, and mostly like it.

It's switched mode, but seems well filtered and I generally don't have e-noise issues and it more than meets your current/voltage requirements.  While it has a fan, mine virtually never comes on -- I've run it at 40 watts output for hours on end without the fan coming on.  I'm quite surprised by this, but I've done this many times over the past few years and have never had a problem with it.  There are several reviews of this and some show the fan cycling on/off. I have not experienced that at all.  I've only heard it come near the 100 watt level.   Perhaps the fan control circuit in my has failed, if so the fan is not needed at most power levels.

What I don't like about it is the very slow rise time of the output and the fact that when you turn it on it sometimes gives a brief voltage spike (even though the outputs are switched off).  Also, the current limit takes too long to kick in.  It's not a precision power supply but generally speaking ok and I get a lot of use out of it, much more so than my Amrel LPS-305.

It's got a nice display, is pretty easy to use (once you get used to it), really compact and accurate metering.

-katie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf