Author Topic: Best hack upgrade oscilloscope for $1-2k ?  (Read 6596 times)

Offline covertTopic starter

Best hack upgrade oscilloscope for $1-2k ?
« on: May 17, 2021, 08:04:53 am »
Hard to keep track with all the hacks but what is the best scope with hack upgrade for around $1-$2 k ? Pre tax time spend up.. Just looking for something to grow into. Will be replacing my Siglent SDS1062CM.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Best hack upgrade oscilloscope for $1-2k ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:55:32 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Have a hard look at SDS2104X Plus.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 04:35:20 pm »
That's highly subjective, you need to be clear on what features you need and which are more important than others. A $3000 scope may not have some of the features or specs of a $1000 scope. Life would be much easier if as scope prices increased they added more to what cheaper scopes had, so you would only needed to pay more to get more. Manufactures focus on particular features some more than others.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 08:31:28 pm »
There's no way to answer that without knowing what it's going to be used for.

(...unless you're a Siglent distributor, in which case the answer is always obvious)

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, jjoonathan, CDN_Torsten

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:17:06 pm »
Siglent SDS2104X Plus 100MHz, but you can hack it to "SDS2354X Plus" 500MHz, AWG 50MHz

Rigol MSO5072* or MSO5074 70MHz, but you can hack it to "MSO5354" 350MHz, AWG 25MHz

* I read that the MSO5072 comes with 4 channels, the 2 disabled channels can be enabled by hacking it.

Keysight DSOX1204G 70MHz (hack it to maybe 200MHz)

Tektronics TBS2074B 70MHz (if hackable, maybe up to 200MHz)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:20:18 pm by Trader »

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:12 pm »
That's highly subjective, you need to be clear on what features you need and which are more important than others. A $3000 scope may not have some of the features or specs of a $1000 scope. Life would be much easier if as scope prices increased they added more to what cheaper scopes had, so you would only needed to pay more to get more. Manufactures focus on particular features some more than others.
Agreed. What good does a whole bunch of 'free' features do you if the one you actually need isn't among them?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 04:52:48 am »
Siglent SDS2104X Plus 100MHz, but you can hack it to "SDS2354X Plus" 500MHz, AWG 50MHz

Rigol MSO5072* or MSO5074 70MHz, but you can hack it to "MSO5354" 350MHz, AWG 25MHz

Keysight DSOX1204G 70MHz (hack it to maybe 200MHz)

Tektronics TBS2074B 70MHz (if hackable, maybe up to 200MHz)

Pretty much this.

I'm not sure if the Tek is hackable though.

* I read that the MSO5072 comes with 4 channels, the 2 disabled channels can be enabled by hacking it.

They can be enabled but there's only $100 difference and you'll have to buy two more probes, so...  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline covertTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 11:07:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have a good look over the list and tell you where I end up going.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 08:04:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have a good look over the list and tell you where I end up going.

A piece of extra and useful information, the Rigol MSO5074 (70MHz) already comes with 4 probes of 350MHz, the others, you need to buy new probes, and high-speed probes are expensive.

Let us know what did you decide.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:09:48 pm by Trader »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »
Has anyone tested the Rigol PVP2350?  A 1X/10X switchable 350MHz probe seems a bit sketchy.  Other 350MHz probes, including the Siglent SP2035, are 10X only and cost a lot more.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 10:36:23 pm »

If you're prepared to spend about $1.5k then the Rigol is probably off the list for being right at the bottom of the price range. It's between the Keysight and the Siglent.

The keysight is super fast at everything and has a real analog feel to it due to all the sample memory being inside the ASIC. The downside to that is that it doens't have a lot of it - ASIC space is limited.

If you're heavily into digital stuff then that's not good and you should probably get the Siglent. If you're more of an analog guy then it's not much of a problem and the analog feel and responsiveness of the keysight can't be beat.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 02:49:38 am »
Within the range of $1k to $2k, why isn't the Instek MSO 4 channel series in the running?   It has a very responsive UI if my GDS-1054B is any indication, and it should be hackable, no?

Is the sample rate for it (1GS/s) too low for it to be a reasonable candidate?  Admittedly, if it were me, I'd go for the SDS2000X+ over the Instek, even with the Instek's superior UI responsiveness, but if you're more into the analog side of the equation then the Instek's spectrum app, which I think can be had via hackery, may be hard to beat.

The following users thanked this post: jwmcmann

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 08:11:27 am »
Within the range of $1k to $2k, why isn't the Instek MSO 4 channel series in the running?   It has a very responsive UI if my GDS-1054B is any indication, and it should be hackable, no?
Yes, that is a good option as well and it has some neat features the others don't have (like digital signal filtering).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 03:39:52 pm »
https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/MSO-2204EA/Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscopes-(MSO)/#description

It looks like it includes everything including the logic probe kit, arb-gen, 200MHz and all the software options for under $1500.  No hacking, no extras. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:49:48 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 04:58:12 pm »
https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/MSO-2204EA/Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscopes-(MSO)/#description

It looks like it includes everything including the logic probe kit, arb-gen, 200MHz and all the software options for under $1500.  No hacking, no extras.

Looks like a bargain to me.

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 04:44:04 pm »
The Video from Howard Long "Comparing the Rigol MSO5000 vs Siglent SDS2000X Plus" is dated, some of the issues are corrected by firmware and a lot of it is his own personal peeves which in most cases are not really valid in a comparison.
Example.
1. Siglent does not have ability to search decoded data, Rigol can but only on the 4 analog channel. He focuses on the fact that it does not do it on the digital channels. Siglent can't do it so that is the major point.

2. Rigol has HDMI out Siglent no form of vidoe output, he focuses on the black border around the video, which most televisions will resize to fill screen  and even without doing this the screen is fairly large so the border is not a bother.

3. I don't have issues with the probes switching between 10x and 1x, I don't like that the switch is the same colour as the rest of the probe. This is all personal and would not apply to everyone.

4. The buttons don't line up, Rigol has buttons allowing you 2 options to control scope Siglent doesn't that should be the major point. The buttons do line up, there is a constant theme across the scope with a 45 degree slant on edges, the buttons all line up with the slant. Style over substance.

5. The XY mode issue was corrected in a firmware, and I don't see any 1ns delay in LA display, possible may have been corrected in firmware.

6. Other things are not peculiar to the scope as they exist in a number of other brands, so may be there by design.

7. The major difference between the scopes are that the Rigol has a higher noise floor, and the Siglents sample rate can not effectively support its bandwidth unless you only use 2 channels, and even some experts say that it still does not meet the requirement with only 2 channels on. It basically is a 250Mhz scope with 3 or more channels turned on.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 07:43:02 pm »
The Video from Howard Long "Comparing the Rigol MSO5000 vs Siglent SDS2000X Plus" is dated, some of the issues are corrected by firmware and a lot of it is his own personal peeves which in most cases are not really valid in a comparison.

Yep, that's why the Siglent Fanboys keep reposting it endlessly.

The price difference between Rigol/Siglent is also something that they never mention - the Siglent is significantly more expensive (50%-ish)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 08:36:50 pm »
Correct. 2 firmwares have been released since Howard did his video.

Siglents sample rate can not effectively support its bandwidth unless you only use 2 channels, and even some experts say that it still does not meet the requirement with only 2 channels on. It basically is a 250Mhz scope with 3 or more channels turned on.
Where do you come to this conclusion when the SDS2000X Plus range uses two 2 GSa/a ADC's* where a 350 MHz rating on 4 active channels does not break Nyquist.
It does break Nyquist when the 500 MHz option is installed so SDS2504X Plus is rated as a 2ch 500 MHz DSO and when channel use is not properly assigned the channel tab notifies the operator that the BW is 350 MHz or Full.

* Each with 200 Mpts memory support.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:26:14 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: pizzigri

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 09:31:20 pm »
The thing with reviews is that you have to extract the pieces of information which are important to you. In the end a reviewer always has a different point of view compared to your own.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 08:07:02 am »
But still, the stated budget is from $1k to $2k so I assumed the Rigol was off the list for being right at the bottom. The Instek/Keysight/Siglent are closer to the middle of that range and do offer more.

At the end of the day though, a forum can only provide a shortlist. Personal needs/tastes are a factor and only OP can make the final decision.

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 04:12:21 pm »

Siglents sample rate can not effectively support its bandwidth unless you only use 2 channels, and even some experts say that it still does not meet the requirement with only 2 channels on. It basically is a 250Mhz scope with 3 or more channels turned on.
Where do you come to this conclusion when the SDS2000X Plus range uses two 2 GSa/a ADC's* where a 350 MHz rating on 4 active channels does not break Nyquist.
It does break Nyquist when the 500 MHz option is installed so SDS2504X Plus is rated as a 2ch 500 MHz DSO and when channel use is not properly assigned the channel tab notifies the operator that the BW is 350 MHz or Full.

If we are talking about pure and clean sine waves then Nyquist applies and a little over 2 x sample rate works, but  in the real world we have to compensate for the possibility of other frequencies being present in the signal. Most scopes are the Gaussian type which decline in amplitude as frequency increases to the 3db point, at which we rate the bandwidth. They don't block frequencies like a wall at that point, they still pick up frequencies above. If the scope does not have the sample rate to cover those frequencies above then aliasing occurs and what is displayed on the scope is incorrect. When you do a 500Mhz measurement  at 1Ghz sample rate it is easily seen as the wave is heavily distorted but if you did a 350Mhz measurement and there is some 500mhz noise leaking into the signal your scope will display a distorted signal which would look totally different than what it should look like with the noise added to it. You may not be able to tell with any confidence if aliasing is taking place, you could do a bandwidth filter if scope has that available, but you would lose seeing the effect of the noise.

The recommended sample rate should be 4-5 times the maximum frequency in the signal, I have heard Dave saying it, Tektronix and Keysight have papers which say it, so don't take my word for it.

I was first looking at the SDS2104X Plus, but my requirement was for a 350Mhz, 2 G/s four channel scope, and based on this I realized it did not meet the specification. I actually learnt about the MSO5000 in a Siglent thread.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 04:51:08 pm »
If we are talking about pure and clean sine waves then Nyquist applies and a little over 2 x sample rate works, but  in the real world we have to compensate for the possibility of other frequencies being present in the signal. Most scopes are the Gaussian type which decline in amplitude as frequency increases to the 3db point, at which we rate the bandwidth. They don't block frequencies like a wall at that point, they still pick up frequencies above. If the scope does not have the sample rate to cover those frequencies above then aliasing occurs and what is displayed on the scope is incorrect. When you do a 500Mhz measurement  at 1Ghz sample rate it is easily seen as the wave is heavily distorted but if you did a 350Mhz measurement and there is some 500mhz noise leaking into the signal your scope will display a distorted signal which would look totally different than what it should look like with the noise added to it. You may not be able to tell with any confidence if aliasing is taking place, you could do a bandwidth filter if scope has that available, but you would lose seeing the effect of the noise.

The recommended sample rate should be 4-5 times the maximum frequency in the signal, I have heard Dave saying it, Tektronix and Keysight have papers which say it, so don't take my word for it.

I was first looking at the SDS2104X Plus, but my requirement was for a 350Mhz, 2 G/s four channel scope, and based on this I realized it did not meet the specification. I actually learnt about the MSO5000 in a Siglent thread.

There are some issues with your analysis that would be better examined by using real-world tests rather than theorizing.  I don't have an MSO5074 or an SDS2104X+ to hack and compare (if anyone wants to send me them, PM me for my address  :) ), but these issues have been explored on plenty of other units.

First, if you examine a signal with a scope and that signal has significant energy at frequencies above the bandwidth of the scope, the result will be distorted regardless of Nyquist issues--this happens even on analog scopes.  The rated bandwidth of a scope means just that, not the maximum periodic frequency of a signal that it can faithfully reproduce without distortion.  The most obvious example is square waves, but the same principle applies to any waveform.  The actual manifestation of the distortion is complex and varies for each particular situation.

Second, if you are referring to strong over-bandwidth signals to be displayed, aliased or not, this is nothing new or unusual.  The Rigol 1054Z (hacked) will display 300MHz + signals fairly cleanly, just attenuated.  If you go over Nyquist, the signal gets reflected down, but in order to be fooled by having an over-Nyquist signal reflected down to 350MHz on the SDS2000X+ with all 4 channels active, you would need a strong 650MHz signal.  That's just not very likely in real-world scope use.  Now if you see a 450MHz signal, you have to wonder whether it is 450 or 550, but again, a bit of real-world experimentation will show you that this is not the first thing one ought to worry about.

Third, you say you wanted a "4-channel 350MHz" scope.  Frankly I have to wonder why.  I really would struggle to think of  a reason to use all 4 channels at once at that bandwidth, and those that I might dream up would really need some careful setup and deskewing to work.  But, even allowing for the possibility that you might have such a need, I would expect anyone comparing the two scopes to notice and point out that that the Rigol lacks 50 ohm inputs.  Between that and the switchable 1X/10X probes, I think you will have far more problems getting undistorted readings on the Rigol at 350MHz regardless of the sample rate being double. 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 04:54:49 pm »

If we are talking about pure and clean sine waves then Nyquist applies and a little over 2 x sample rate works, but  in the real world we have to compensate for the possibility of other frequencies being present in the signal. Most scopes are the Gaussian type
No. Many DSOs have much steeper filters nowadays. Oscilloscopes with a Gaussian roll-off are the thing of the past. In turn this means that you can get more bandwidth for your samplerate at the cost of impulse response. Oscilloscope designers aren't stupid so they will make the anti-aliasing filters in a way so excessive aliasing is prevented.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:57:07 pm by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: pizzigri

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 07:34:46 pm »
if you see a 450MHz signal, you have to wonder whether it is 450 or 550, but again, a bit of real-world experimentation will show you that this is not the first thing one ought to worry about.

A simple trick is to turn off other channels to increase the sample rate on the channel that's in doubt.

If the display changes drastically then you know you weren't seeing the true signal before because of undersampling.

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 11:55:20 pm »

First, if you examine a signal with a scope and that signal has significant energy at frequencies above the bandwidth of the scope, the result will be distorted regardless of Nyquist issues--this happens even on analog scopes.  The rated bandwidth of a scope means just that, not the maximum periodic frequency of a signal that it can faithfully reproduce without distortion.  The most obvious example is square waves, but the same principle applies to any waveform.  The actual manifestation of the distortion is complex and varies for each particular situation.

Second, if you are referring to strong over-bandwidth signals to be displayed, aliased or not, this is nothing new or unusual.  The Rigol 1054Z (hacked) will display 300MHz + signals fairly cleanly, just attenuated.  If you go over Nyquist, the signal gets reflected down, but in order to be fooled by having an over-Nyquist signal reflected down to 350MHz on the SDS2000X+ with all 4 channels active, you would need a strong 650MHz signal.  That's just not very likely in real-world scope use.  Now if you see a 450MHz signal, you have to wonder whether it is 450 or 550, but again, a bit of real-world experimentation will show you that this is not the first thing one ought to worry about.

Third, you say you wanted a "4-channel 350MHz" scope.  Frankly I have to wonder why.  I really would struggle to think of  a reason to use all 4 channels at once at that bandwidth, and those that I might dream up would really need some careful setup and deskewing to work.  But, even allowing for the possibility that you might have such a need, I would expect anyone comparing the two scopes to notice and point out that that the Rigol lacks 50 ohm inputs.  Between that and the switchable 1X/10X probes, I think you will have far more problems getting undistorted readings on the Rigol at 350MHz regardless of the sample rate being double.

I intentionally used 350Mhz and 500Mhz because we all agree that the scope goes into serious aliasing if more than 2 channels are on and a 500Mhz signal is measured by any channel. So in my example the 500MHz is not outside of the bandwidth of the scope. Therefore your point would not be applicable here as the signal is not outside the bandwidth. If we are talking about other scopes which have high energy  frequencies past their bandwidth then a number of things may come into play.

1. Attenuation at the frequencies above -3db tend to attenuate much faster than before the -3db thus reducing the effect.
2. They could maintain sample rates much higher than Nyquist criteria to cover this.
3. They don't follow gaussian type.

The increase sample rate is not to cover all frequencies above bandwidth only those within a range that is not attenuated enough. All frequencies above the bandwidth will have an impact on measured signal regardless of sample rate, and we both agree on that, however the signal displayed on the scope that is under-sampled will be different than what is on the scope with proper sampling. Both will not display the correct waveform because the higher frequency will be far more attenuated, but if this higher frequency is not noise but a component of the wave then the scope showing the alias will be so off that you would  have no clue as to what's happening.

Your point about the 650Mhz is similar to an experience I recently had, this is real world not theory. I was testing a RF amplifier and had a low strength 10MHZ signal feeding the amplifier, I was using my older 100Mhz scope and sine wave looked fairly normal. I switched over to the MSO5000 and noticed a totally distorted wave, I was confused and turned off the AWG and a clean 420MHz wave appeared on the display, I had seen the frequency before and immediately realized that this was coming from circuit board nearby that had been left powered on. The cable connected to the amplifier input ran close to it and amplified the signal strong enough to cause interference. My experience disproves the unlikelihood of high strength higher frequency entering your measurement, in my case the higher frequency was 42 times the signal of interest, not less than 2 times in your example. If that 420MHZ was aliased because of low sample rate then I would be searching all over to find where it was coming from because the frequency would be incorrect. Both scopes in question would not have issues with the  420Mhz but over 500MHZ the Siglent would be aliased and the Rigol would not.

I use higher frequencies to view square waves, 3 most cases. 50 ohm termination is for connection to other 50ohm devices, if I do video I would need 75 ohm. On the rare occasions I use a 50ohm termination pass through and it works fine, but a lot of circuits are not 50 ohms and a low impedance sometimes load circuit. The advantage of using the external termination is that I don't have to worry about burning out the oscilloscope's internal components since 50 ohm port is limited to 5Vrms, I can easily buy another external terminator. But again I don't need it as I don't do much RF stuff and the few are at low IF frequencies.

In summary the example I gave still stands, more than 2 channels enabled on the Siglent will be aliased by any component above 500Mhz since these are still within its -3db point and not significantly attenuated. You could if possible put in bandwidth limit filters to removed signals above 500Mhz. As it relates to the general argument about the Nyquist and frequencies outside of bandwidth which is not the case in this situation, I would have to side with the experts who recommend the sample rate to be up to 5 times the bandwidth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf