Author Topic: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference  (Read 370447 times)

Offline gr8tfly

• Contributor
Re: bg7tbl gpsdo master reference
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2018, 09:00:21 am »
Doh. If it were a snake it'd bit me. You know what they say about having a second set of eyes check something...etc. I totally missed the fact the "L" was not displayed at that time.

No, it definitely does display an "L" when it's xx0.0000. Of course, the question is how it decides to do that. It may be based on power-on time, as it mentions something about 5 hours in the [limited] documentation.

I've attached a few more photos. One from a couple of days ago, and a couple from just a few minutes ago. One of the latter is at xx0.0000, the other is xx0.0001 Hz - both display the "L" flag.

Also, I've attached the .doc the vendor sent me (I don't think there's any copyright issue, since we both purchased the product - call me paranoid?). I'm just about done removing the Chinese characters, as it improves readability. The English "translation" alternates lines with the Chinese, so I thought it worth a few minutes of editing to make myself an all English version. I can post that here later on too.

The user's manual has a nice block diagram. It also describes a command mode whereby you can change things like how it displays the time and a variety of different clock representations. There are some pads that need to be jumpered to enable the mode. I looked at the various display options, but I'm pretty happy with the default.

It's been ages since I've had a GPS connected to my computer (like almost 20 years), so I'm looking forward to playing around with Lady Heather and perhaps VisualGPS. I have some terminal apps too, so I can manually capture the NEMA output.

Equipment wise, I suppose I'm a Siglent fan, at the moment. :)  I think it's been almost 2 years now since I bought a Siglent SDS1102-X. Prior to the DSO, my personal scope was a Tek 465b, which, I must say, I've quite a fondness for, but it's just too darn big and heavy for me these days and haven't used it in years). So, comparatively, I'm pretty blown away by the features the Siglent has - especially for (at the time) $499.

As you can see in the pic from a couple days ago, I have one of the inexpensive DDS generators. I just got tired of the instability and a bit of hash it has (I'm spoiled by years in the lab with unaffordable high-end gear) and over the holidays replaced it with a Siglent SDG-1032X. Most of my RF experimenting is in HF, plus it has all the modulation modes I could want. Of course, it was a whole 25 Hz off (measured with my Fluke). I could have used the output from the Fluke, but nooooo - this was a great time to get a GPSDO! :)

Take care!

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #551 on: February 18, 2018, 02:29:36 pm »
'VisualGPSView is a very nice, easy setup, and to use program. It is Freeware and available at: http://www.visualgps.net  Note: It may be require opening the RTS {7} and CTS {8} lines & connecting them together on the PC side. A DIY 9 Pin F to M adapter can be fabricated for this function and plugged into the GPSDO's RS232 connector.

If you can get Lady Heather working with your unit you may be able to get much more info using it.  I don't know If the BG7TBL LCD GPSDO supports the Lady Heather functionality enough or not to be useful.

Edit: I deleted everything else that I originally had here because it is all covered better in KJ7E's post Reply 533 (below) in the BG7TBL LCD-GPSDO Manual that he provided.  Wow, what a fantastic job on the manual translation.  Slight touch up - In a couple of hours may be. . .
Thanks very much KJ7E    Cheers, Ted
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:11:53 pm by ted572 »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2018, 11:19:29 pm »
Slight touch up on the BG7TBL LCD V1 manual English translation, see the attached PDF below.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:21:31 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: ted572, Tom45, bitseeker, gr8tfly, happy_mosfet

Offline gr8tfly

• Contributor
« Reply #553 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
Wow! Thanks so much for doing this. Much nicer than what I had started doing (I hadn't done any clean-up of grammar, etc., only removing the interleaved language changes for clarity).

Chuck
WB6KDH

Offline gr8tfly

• Contributor
« Reply #554 on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:14 am »
Here's another shot of the main board that's not cropped. I realized the reflections around the ublox in my first attachment blew out the jumpers a bit. I was more focused on getting all the main components, especially the Atmega's, part numbers to show up.

Chuck

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:37 pm »
I notice there is a jumper to select either 3.3v (default) or 5v for the active GPS antenna near the Ublox chip.  I've added this to my working copy of the manual.  Since my unit somewhere between Shenzhen and the US, kind of hard to do any better or verify the info.  I made extensive use of Google Translate which does a better job of translating the Chinese characters to English than the provided English subtext then tried to make it a bit more readable.  I cant verify the display commands, but I think I fixed a few typos from the original.

Chuck, I saw your call in one of your photos and looked you up already, I see your not too far from me.  I'm just over the hills to the East.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:13:20 pm by kj7e »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2018, 12:59:09 am »
The 2017-12-16 BG7TBL LCD GPSDO came in last week.  While I was able to get a usable GPS lock with the supplied antenna near the window, it was marginal at best.  Found a PCTEL GPS-TMG-HR-26N antenna brand new on eBay for $30, got it mounted this afternoon.
http://www.antenna.com/apg_search_new.html?type=details&id_num=11589

I would have preferred to put the antenna on the roof with a clear 360 deg view, but due ladder issues I settled for a secondary location with a good 270 deg view (obstructed view to the north east).  I was able to getaway with a single 50' run of LMR-240 so feed line loss is not bad at all.  The PCTEL antenna spec says it will run down to 3.3v, but I moved the PCB jumper to 5v anyway.  Of course this blows away the supplied antenna, 15 sats being tracked many with SNR better than 40db (according to Lady Heather).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:11:48 am by kj7e »

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2018, 02:26:38 am »
Hello owners of the new BG7TBL LCD-GPSDO (Dec. 16, 2017):
I received my new LCD GPSO yesterday (only 11 days after receiving notice of shipment from China; TNX - flyxy2015) and Ii'm interested in changing it to display time in EST, and reference frequency in the 000.00ppb format.  Which I believe requires the program $ GPGTC, 2 BJT  +0500T *.  I'm prepared to send a email to BG7TBO and ask him for some assistance.  But, I thought that I should check here first.
Basic Questions: 1. Where should we connect a RS232 Terminal emulator (PC), as it won't be the front panel DB9 RS232 connector, as it is internally only connected to the NEO-7M GPS receiver?  2. Is there a jumper we have to add, or remove to, put the unit into the programming mode?  Of course, there is a open spot for a 10 pin connector next to the ALTER MAX II, so this is a good possibility.  I have a few other small points to ask, or simply work out when I get answers to these two questions.
    Thanks for any assistance, and cheers, Ted

Edit Feb. 28, 2018:  Obviously BG7TBL intended for us to be able to make these kind of changes to his unit, or he wouldn't have provided us with the appropriate software information for doing so in the Instruction Manual.  Therefor I will send off the email I prepared for him and it may help him to think about adding the missing details (if he hasn't already) in his Manual.  And after all, we should receive the missing details directly from BG7TBL, and not have to second guess it.

I used the photos provided here by 'gr8tfly', WB6KDH (Thank you Chuck) to have a brief look at the design.  I would normally have taken my unit apart and stated to figure this out myself, but I'm recovering from a illness which is slowing me down.  I hope and expect to be back to normal in a few more days.  By the way I feel that BG7TBL's New LCD-GPSDO is a awesome unit, inexpensive for what it does, and a operational leap forward beyond the pack for the currently available GPSDOs.

Second Edit:  I sent the email message to BG7TBL at bg7tbl@gmail.com and it bounced back with a fatal error.  I then resent to bg7tbl@qq.com, and bg7tbl@126.com, as if these are going to work (?).  They certainly look strange, so I don't have high expectations for them either.  Anyway if, and when, I hear from him I will post the reply here for everyone.  And I of course suggested that this missing information should be added to his manual.
Of course, it is possible that we don't have his current manual.  If you see a newer version of the Manual please post it here.  And if you have a email address that looks like it could be valid please let me know.  Thanks, Ted
PS If none of this pans out I will ask my seller (who also provided me with a Manual PDF file per my request) for assistance.  By the way these last two emails have not been bounced back yet, and it seems strange that these (@qq.com & @126.com) could be valid!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:53:17 pm by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline K1FPV

• Contributor
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:33 pm »
Ted,
Did you notice that the email address you listed had the B & G reversed? Also, which eBay seller did you buy it from?

Bill
K1FPV

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:50 pm »
Ted,
Did you notice that the email address you listed had the B & G reversed? Also, which eBay seller did you buy it from?
Bill
K1FPV

Thank you Bill, and No I didn't notice that, but I just checked and the actual email I sent was correct.  So my error was just in the above posting.  I actually wish I had made the error there, because then I would at least have a good second shot getting a message to him.  The other two addresses are just too ridiculous to be valid.  Although they didn't bounce back to me for what ever reason.

My seller was flyxy2015 and I listed him in the first sentence of my original posting.  His ebay link is >  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/112700839490?hash=item1a3d7e5642:g:TqQAAOSwPPpaOhYT  I believe that he still has the best price, and very quick delivery to Canada and USA for these units.  And to date he has sold 17 of these.  I will waiit until tomorrow to send him a message asking if he can assist with this by passing my message on, and checking to see if there is a newer version of the Instruction Manual available now.  This is the first decent manual that I have seen for the BG7TBL GPSDOs.  So I guess we are lucky to have even what we have.  Worst case, we should be able to figure this out, although I admit that I'm a little hesitant risking possibly tanking my unit.  As we don't even know at this time if he even implemented the capability to alter the LCD display format via RS232 re-programming.   :palm:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:57:57 pm by ted572 »

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #560 on: March 01, 2018, 07:57:11 am »
The block diagram shows that the OCXO is driven by a PWM signal. Does anyone have phase noise plots on the 10 MHz output signal?
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #561 on: March 01, 2018, 12:27:13 pm »
The block diagram shows that the OCXO is driven by a PWM signal. Does anyone have phase noise plots on the 10 MHz output signal?

The signal is also run through a low pass filter;

http://www.ke5fx.com/gpscomp.htm

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:46 pm »
Continuation of my post Reply #557 above

I received a reply from my email to BG7TBL asking him about the RS232 programming.  His unedited reply is below in bold:

hello.. first inside jumper connect togethet..then connect com port..last send command... tomorrow i will tell you send which command..good night..bg7tbl

Kind of brief to say the least, because I asked specific and detailed questions.  Basic simplified re-cap of questions follow:
1. Where should we connect a RS232 Terminal emulator (PC), as it won't be the front panel DB9 RS232 connector, as it is internally only connected to the NEO-7M GPS receiver?  2. Is there a jumper we have to add, or remove to put the unit into the programming mode?  Of course, there is a open spot for a 10 pin connector next to the ALTER MAX II, so this is a good possibility.

Edit - Here is what to do:  The jumper location is on the Main PCB directly behind the 3 Front Panel LEDs, and between a vertically mounted 1000uF, 10V electrolytic capacitor on the PCB.  I soldered two Jumper pins here.  Store a Jumper on one pin for 'Normal Mode', and put it across both pins for the 'Test Mode' (Pgm).  The Front Panel 'RS232' connector is also used for programming {w/Jumper in Test Mode}.  You only have to remove 2 screws each from the upper Front/Rear Panels to pull the cover up and off for access to the Jumper.  Of course you will need to remove the Main PCB/Front Panel Ass'y to solder the jumper pins in place on the bottom of the PCB.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:22:11 pm by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Jörg

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #563 on: March 02, 2018, 02:58:36 am »
Hate it when new toys arrive part way into an existing project  ;D

Will add a new thread and teardown when I get a chance but I like the form factor for a start  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2018, 03:19:13 am »
I just received the latest 'BG7TBL LCD-GPS DISCIPLINED CLOCK, USER GUIDE V1.1'.  This came directly from BG7TBL, and it replaces version 1.0 that we currently have.  This manual has some additional information on the Programing process in the form of text and photographs, including the 'Test Jumper', etc.  He also describes the use of programming Terminal emulation software.

I believe that it also helped to ask my eBay seller (flyxy2015) for assistance in this matter, and he has been very helpful with my inquiries, and provided me with the first manual, V1.0, via a email attachment.  Oh yes, he also just sent me a email message asking if I had any questions.  This is very nice service to get from a eBay dealer.

Note The Manual exceeded the maximum file size of 1,000kb, so I had to split in half, for item # 1., and 2. DOC files.  You can copy and paste them together into a new Word (or equiv.) .doc file.  Or work with the two files that is too much for you.  If you have issues doing any of this, or whatever, send me your email address via a PM, and I will email the original file to you.

Cheers, and enjoy, Ted
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:16:19 am by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: hankee, gr8tfly, Jörg

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2018, 03:50:34 am »
The 2017-12-16 BG7TBL LCD GPSDO came in last week.  While I was able to get a usable GPS lock with the supplied antenna near the window, it was marginal at best.  Found a PCTEL GPS-TMG-HR-26N antenna brand new on eBay for $30, got it mounted this afternoon.
http://www.antenna.com/apg_search_new.html?type=details&id_num=11589

I would have preferred to put the antenna on the roof with a clear 360 deg view, but due ladder issues I settled for a secondary location with a good 270 deg view (obstructed view to the north east).  I was able to getaway with a single 50' run of LMR-240 so feed line loss is not bad at all.  The PCTEL antenna spec says it will run down to 3.3v, but I moved the PCB jumper to 5v anyway.  Of course this blows away the supplied antenna, 15 sats being tracked many with SNR better than 40db (according to Lady Heather).

Hi kj7e,

Which of these suppliers did you go with (or did you get your GPSDO from another supplier)?

diyelecmall108
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/202153437548?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

flyxy2015
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/112700839490?hash=item1a3d7e5642:g:TqQAAOSwPPpaOhYT

Did the supplier you picked for the GPSDO include an antenna (I didn’t see any mention of an antenna included in the above links but maybe I missed it).

Still happy with the PCTEL antenna?

Also, it sounds like have been using Lady Heather?  Did you also try VisualGP?  If so, any thoughts on how they compare in terms of ease of use and functionality?

Thanks!

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2018, 04:23:25 am »

Hi kj7e,

Which of these suppliers did you go with (or did you get your GPSDO from another supplier)?

diyelecmall108
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/202153437548?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

flyxy2015
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/112700839490?hash=item1a3d7e5642:g:TqQAAOSwPPpaOhYT

Did the supplier you picked for the GPSDO include an antenna (I didn’t see any mention of an antenna included in the above links but maybe I missed it).

Still happy with the PCTEL antenna?

Also, it sounds like have been using Lady Heather?  Did you also try VisualGP?  If so, any thoughts on how they compare in terms of ease of use and functionality?

Thanks!

I got mine from diyelecmall108.  Yes, included a basic antenna and a wall wart power adapter.

The PCTEL antenna is way, way better than the supplied antenna.  I also noticed the GPSDO lock holds much more stable in the last displayed digit with the improved signal strength.

Signal strength plot below, note the antenna has an obstructed view to the north east.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:09:08 am by kj7e »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:24 am »
Thx - do you have any recommendations/preferences on software?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2018, 05:43:43 am »

Functionality wise... there's no comparison.   Heather is around 100,000 lines of code.  There is a LOT of functionality in there.   Heather can fully monitor, configure, and control over three dozen different devices.   Visual GPS is just a monitoring program.   But, you don't need to use any the fabcy-pants functionality...  just fire up the program, sit back and relax,  and watch das defaulten blinkenlights.  You will see just about anything you want on one screen or can zoom various items to full screen with a click of the mouse.

Heather's user interface does not use those new-fangled drop down menu thingies, etc.  It uses an old fashioned  keyboard driven menu system.  No precious screen space is wasted with menu bars, window decorations, etc.   Type the first letter of a command and a menu appears in the plot area showing the various commands you can do from that menu.   Press SPACE to see how the various commands are grouped.   Don't like it?  Too millennial to use anything but drop down menus?  Well... Heather is open source... knock yourself out.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2018, 10:19:10 am »
Cracked the case on my GPSDO open tonight and plugged it in. Power consumption dropped to about .6A at 12V but is rated to 24V. Seemed to get a lock fairly quickly but I didn't time it or try and get it hooked up to the PC.

Decided not to start a thread for it as it shares apart from the custom lower board fairly much all the same internals as most of these.

The lower Board on mine is badged amoj1010 the same as the Ebay seller so I am assuming it is his board. eBay auction: #https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPSDO-10MHz-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-3-sine-and-3-square-wave-2-1PPS-Send-GPS-ante/253375324294?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Arrived very quickly after Chinese New Year wrapped in EPP foam and with a couple of freebie extras  :-+ Sorry but the shot of the lower board is blurry I will take a better one tomorrow.

Bit of ringing on the square wave with a 50 ohm load and the sine wave seemed solid.

Now I feel like the man with two watches but the frequency was very stable over the course of a few hours but I will get mine compared to a HAM mates and have a play with the software and some longer testing.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK4GHZ

• Contributor
« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:59 am »
Note The Manual exceeded the maximum file size of 1,000kb, so I had to split in half, for item # 1., and 2. DOC files.  You can copy and paste them together into a new Word (or equiv.) .doc file.  Or work with the two files that is too much for you.  If you have issues doing any of this, or whatever, send me your email address via a PM, and I will email the original file to you.
Here are the two parts of the the manual, combined, as a PDF.

The following users thanked this post: ted572, hankee, gr8tfly, Jörg

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:55 pm »
Couple of less fuzzy shots.

Offline Jörg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2018, 09:46:54 am »
The user manual v.1.1  of BG7TBL LCD GPSDO describes the editing of the LCD display. Someone knows which software to use?   Has anyone tried it successfully?
Jörg
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:56:01 am by Jörg »

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2018, 07:26:58 pm »
Lady Heather has a built in simple terminal emulator that can be used.  Heather also has the !u command that will send commands to the device... but that may not work since it automatically adds the checksum characters to NMEA messages (if the input command does not have a checksum).  I don't know if BG8TBL's gate array tolerates the checksum in his custom message.  I'm going to mod Heather to add a way of disabling the automatic checksum addition.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #574 on: March 04, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »
Re. BG7TBL LCD-GPSDO:
Has anyone been able to send and execute a LCD command to this unit?  I have been working on this and pulled a zero so far.   Ted

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf