Author Topic: Bio-Rad 200/2.0 Power Supply?...  (Read 644 times)

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Bio-Rad 200/2.0 Power Supply?...
« on: July 05, 2022, 06:22:23 pm »
Hi all,
Been looking for a "HV-ish" power supply for some specific applications (needing, say, over 160V and maybe over 100mA sourced, fully adjustable, ideally with current limiting).
I ended up grabbing (very affordably) this biomedical (I think...) power supply.
Upon closer reading I noticed a spec'd 5% ripple, which sounds extremely high, and now I'm horrified.
This would be mostly for testing and experimenting with voltage references, regulators, possibly tube equipment (likely audio only). Just sort of regular bench diy projects, nothing very exotic.
I have been looking for a service manual to get a sense how kosher this PS is for regular DIY applications, but nothing. All I can do is look at the specs and try to assess based upon that. With an SM I'd probably see if I can mod this to improve any misgivings (may try that either way depending on what direction I feel I should go).
Would appreciate some thoughts on this - thanks!

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: Bio-Rad 200/2.0 Power Supply?...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:52:50 pm »
It's true - these electrophoresis power supplies perform exceptionally poor as general purpose lab supplies. Not only that there may be considerable ripple on top of the DC output, these units moreover also don't like to be operated completely off-load and tend to cut the output voltage if there isn't at least a certain current flowing. They are purpose-built for electrophoresis appllications and there, the ripple or low(ish) accuracy don't matter that much. The motion of the ions on the carrier / substrate in the electrophoresis process depends on the amount of charge that's been flowing through the pile, so accurate current measurement and a good timer are more relevant than precise voltage regulation. The voltage setting can be considered more like a limiter function.

The least expensive moderately HV lab supplies are made by HSPY (search for this), though they are not troublefree either...

Good luck,
Thomas

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bio-Rad 200/2.0 Power Supply?...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 07:25:01 pm »
Thomas,
Thank you very much - what a bummer... That's some shipping money (2x) thrown out the window. Live and learn.
I am currently evaluating between a Lambda LQ-415 and an HP-6209B.
I like the Lambda for what seems very clean output, digital display, and very small footprint, and the HP for (probably) being easier on the wallet, not having custom ICs (which the Lambda does), but not so much for its less clean output. Other positives: a bit more range. Probably more rugged too.
Would be interested in thoughts on these options.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:43:02 pm by Rax »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf