Author Topic: RF Explorer units  (Read 5357 times)

Online trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
RF Explorer units
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:50:48 pm »
I came across this unit a while back. They seem pretty cheap and I was really wondering if anyone has used them or can shed some light on how good they are. Seems it has a PC interface as well.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/RF-Explorer-ISM-Combo-p-1092.html

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RF Explorer units
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:41:28 pm »
As far as I'm concerned it's a novelty, a conversation piece, at least for anyone that has had any experience even with a low end Spectrum Analyzer. I have one, but it is of very limited use.
My biggest complaint is the size, or lack of. The screen to way too small, the resolution is very poor, it has very limited flexibility. The other bad thing about them is they overload very easily with the warning posted in numerous parts of the manual.
The other plus other than cost is support. It's very good with numerous updates so they surely can't be faulted there.

I believe the biggest user base is the music profession, namely concerts sniffing out wireless mics to prevent conflicts. Also I have heard that RC car. boat & especially plane operators use it for the same purpose at 'meets'. There is a dedicated forum for them.

You should be able to find plenty on e-Bay though those only seem to have one of the two or three 'modules' that are available installed.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:57 am »
There is a recent thread about a similar one with only one connector I think:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rf-explorer-signal-generator/

Online Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:38 am »
I have one, and I am very happy with it.

I am a film sound recordist, doing mainly documentaries.
I use the RF-Explorer mainly for checking the spectrum for empty space to use my radio microphones in.
For this purpose it is ideal: cheap, small and light. (important when traveling by air)

I found it to be reasonable accurate, and very reliable. A battery charge lasts a long time.
It can't compete with a full grown professional Spectrum Analyzer. But price and size is very different too. It is a lot of bang for the buck!

Online trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:32 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Seems it has some practical uses being portable but its more for basic detection of signals present rather than any serious measurement.

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:16:58 am »
I use the RF-Explorer mainly for checking the spectrum for empty space to use my radio microphones in.
Exactly as I stated. Huge interest here.
its more for basic detection of signals present rather than any serious measurement.
Very basic.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 11:38:06 am »
Would it be useful for looking at the harmonics on a radio transmitter?  Would it be useful for analyzing the bandpass of a filter? Would it be useful for hunting down unknown sources of RF?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »
I have one and I use it to troubleshoot rf devices: see if something emits some signal or not,
find wifi spots or conflicts, basic trouble shooting.
I've never done it (not being faced to the problem) but you can easily interface it to a computer mac or pc where you have better screen and can do serious measurments with other software options than in the device itself
so it could replace a usb spectrum analyser, and a nice "on the way" measuring device
it will not replace a real spectrum analyzer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf