Author Topic: Using Linux (Ubuntu) to interface with a DS1074Z-S  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Dave TurnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Using Linux (Ubuntu) to interface with a DS1074Z-S
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:39 pm »
I've been looking for a way to communicate between my Linux PC and my DS1074Z-S via TCP/IP to no avail; despite searches via google and within this forum.

Setting up the network connection is easy, but I haven't been able to find a program to talk to the scope. What am I missing?

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Using Linux (Ubuntu) to interface with a DS1074Z-S
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »
I should also have mentioned that one reason for me to do this is to be able to download screen shots to post to this forum.
So far I haven't found a memory stick that my scope will recognize.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »
Try Peter's program, works for the 4000s and the DSA 815:

http://peter.dreisiebner.at/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »
Wish I could read all languages properly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »
OK I finally discovered that telnet to port 5555 opens the link for SCPI commands. That allows me to experiment.

As for the memory sticks mine are either too small <256Mb or too large >16Gb, complete bummer. Makes one wonder about Rigol's logic. I'll just have to find a few 4Gb sticks.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:55 am »
Wish I could read all languages properly.

The program is in English,  :-//

Or are you not using a browser that automagically translates his webpage?

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 01:18:09 pm »
You may want to look for VXI11, that's the standard way for talking to instruments over LAN. There's python implementation of it: https://github.com/python-ivi/python-vxi11

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »
Dr Diesel - yes I hadn't got round to installing translate. Having said that I believe the buttons are in German see screen shots. When I can figure out how to install it I'll try it.

Lukas I'll have to get Python working then try VXI11.

Thanks both.

Offline MiataMuc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:12:27 am »
I use Peter's program in Kubuntu - but the Windows version (with wine), via network.

Florian

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:28:54 pm »
the linux version works just fine for me, it gives me english buttons and all.  I can connect to my DG1032Z and my DS2202A no problem.

-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline grantbob

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »
Glad I saw this thread. I didn't even know Peter's program existed. I just tried it on OS X with a DS1074Z and it worked just fine. (much better than running a windows VM and fiddling with all the Rigol stuff for just an easy screenshot).  :)

-grantbob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:07:59 pm »
The fundamental reason for starting this thread  was to discover what SCPI commands, if any, are used to take and download a screen snapshot via TCP/IP from a DS1074Z-S? I'm aware that a USB connection would be faster but I need to do this via TCP/IP.

I'm fully aware that the majority of software appears to be for Windows. Marmad's looks amazing but is overkill for my current needs.

I'm trying to do everything with Linux (Ubuntu 14). After over 20 years of Windows desktop and server it's a challenge, particularly when attempting to install software, which I'm still trying to learn about. In fact I'm trying to use the Ubuntu software centre wherever possible in order to minimise errors on my part.

Unless I'm missing the obvious (highly likely) I can't find a SCPI command or sequence of commands to download a screen shot.

Does anyone have the command sequences required?

ciao

Dave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »
Grantbob - I know you're using OSx but would you or someone else care to instruct me how to install Peter's program please?

Yeah I'm stoopid! But I do learn.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »
All you have to do is extract his package, right click, extract.  Then mark the binary executable:

chmod +x RigolBildschirmkopie

Or right click, Permissions, check the "Allow this file to run as a program"  Or however Ubuntu states it.

Then just double click.

If your running 64bit, you might need glibc.i686, run from a console window to see output if double clicking to run fails.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:38:30 pm »
The fundamental reason for starting this thread  was to discover what SCPI commands, if any, are used to take and download a screen snapshot via TCP/IP from a DS1074Z-S? I'm aware that a USB connection would be faster but I need to do this via TCP/IP.

I'm fully aware that the majority of software appears to be for Windows. Marmad's looks amazing but is overkill for my current needs.

I'm trying to do everything with Linux (Ubuntu 14). After over 20 years of Windows desktop and server it's a challenge, particularly when attempting to install software, which I'm still trying to learn about. In fact I'm trying to use the Ubuntu software centre wherever possible in order to minimise errors on my part.

Unless I'm missing the obvious (highly likely) I can't find a SCPI command or sequence of commands to download a screen shot.

ciao

Dave
The DISPLAY:DATA? fetches a screenshot. See the programming manual for more info on that.

BTW: Screenshots are often the wrong choice for documenting stuff. It's way more useful to retrieve the actual waveform data and plot them with some graphing software like gnuplot. This way you can compare data from subsequent measurements without messing with the scale factors at the instrument. You aren't limited to the screen resolution of the instrument as well.

Offline grantbob

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:25 am »
Grantbob - I know you're using OSx but would you or someone else care to instruct me how to install Peter's program please?

On OS X you just unzip the .zip and then extract the app from the .tar file (you can use the default archive utility in OS X for that) . Then you can run the app. I don't have a linux box handy at the moment but dr. diesel's explanation sounded about right for linuxland.

-grantbob

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:53 am »
The fundamental reason for starting this thread  was to discover what SCPI commands, if any, are used to take and download a screen snapshot via TCP/IP from a DS1074Z-S?

http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/ProgrammingGuide/MSO1000Z_DS1000Z_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Monkeh - that's the exact file I've been searching - it must staring me in the face but I just don't see it.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 03:30:47 pm »
Monkeh - that's the exact file I've been searching - it must staring me in the face but I just don't see it.

Page 81 ('2-63'), :DISPlay:DATA?

Also see page 223 ('2-204') for :WAVeform commands to gather raw data.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf