Author Topic: Black Friday or Cyber Monday Deals?  (Read 15473 times)

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
Re: Black Friday or Cyber Monday Deals?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 12:00:21 am »
I happened to catch an error message warning that I exceeded the one submission per day restriction, but it was only on screen for about 3 seconds in a small grayish window. Everything would have appeared hunky dory if I had briefly looked away during that time. :palm:
I registered a while ago and then tried to do it yesterday (or so) and it told me I had already registered and could not do it again.  I thought like the last one we had to keep registering???

They jumped the gun a bit. If you actually read the page, it says "all week starting November 28", so any entry made this week is clearly before the contest is starting. I am guilty of trying it out too and got the same vague error message.

You could submit an entry per day starting Nov 1, even though winner selections won't start until Nov 28, per paragraph 4, attached.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 01:54:24 am »
You could submit an entry per day starting Nov 1, even though winner selections won't start until Nov 28, per paragraph 4, attached.

No... 1 entry for the entire period Nov 1-27, and then 1 per day Nov 28-Dec 2.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 02:23:52 am »

How did the Keysight giveaway with its own topic get here?  This is about Black Friday (gone) and Cyber Monday (tomorrow)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 02:34:07 am »

How did the Keysight giveaway with its own topic get here?  This is about Black Friday (gone) and Cyber Monday (tomorrow)

Keysight is branding the giveaway as a "Cyber Week" event, and apparently they will have big discounts on some other items. I think that there was a mention of up to 100% off. Maybe a free accessory added to a purchase?

Jon

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 04:32:47 am »
We're doing a unique coupon per day during Cyber Week (Monday - Friday) and an oscilloscope giveaway each day. Tune in to our live stream on YouTube tomorrow for more details!

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 07:27:59 am »
25% at Zoro above $150 for Cyber Monday.

A bit disappointed they didn't run 30% like last year, but, oh well. Got impatient and ordered a Hakko FA430 fume extractor anyway... If only they didn't charge CA sales tax, that would make for totally ridiculous prices.

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 03:50:01 pm »

Thanks. Don't know how I missed that.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:25 am »
Depends on what you are looking for we are running some special sale prices on Rigol equipment for EEVblog members.

It's not a black friday sale just a normal sale.   

I should note anything under £500 would not get a discount on the Rigol range as we don't make enough to discount but we would offer a certificate for a discount on any future option purchases  and a free small gift.

We sell more than just Rigol . We would  be open to the idea of giving a discount on other products but depends on the unit but only for this month  and maybe next month.

We have a mailling list where we send out special discounts and pricing for EEVblog members. You sign up on our website at the bottom of the homepage ( put in EEVblog on product interest section)  or if you want to be put on it you can send me an email. 

Have a great day everyone :-)

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers
Tel +44 (0) 161 871 7450
info@instruments4engineers.com
www.instruments4engineers.com

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 05:10:09 am »
We sell more than just Rigol . We would  be open to the idea of giving a discount on other products but depends on the unit but only for this month  and maybe next month.
FWIW, I suspect UK/EU members would need some details (i.e. either specific prices per P/N, or a more broad discount in terms of %).  ;)

Hope this helps.  :)

P.S. As a general rule, I support vendors that discount to the hobbyist community.  :-+ So I truly hope you can help members of the EEVBlog community.  8).

Best wishes from the US.  :)

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 04:06:13 pm »
Funny:

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 07:28:11 pm »
I have not been able to enter the Keysight scope giveaway today. I have had no problems entering any other day, but since this mornings, I get a "Sorry - The page you requested is not found" error. I could really use that 4 GHz scope ;).

John

We're doing a unique coupon per day during Cyber Week (Monday - Friday) and an oscilloscope giveaway each day. Tune in to our live stream on YouTube tomorrow for more details!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:29:48 pm by JohnG »
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 02:16:12 am »
I have not been able to enter the Keysight scope giveaway today. I have had no problems entering any other day, but since this mornings, I get a "Sorry - The page you requested is not found" error. I could really use that 4 GHz scope ;).

John

Yes, there was a server issue and an alternate URL was provided, then the event was delayed for 15 minutes to give people a chance to enter.

The 4 GHz scope would be a great tool, but it is worth US$42,000. Winning that would be like winning a good car on a TV game show and there would be considerable taxes to deal with. So, at least that provides some comfort to us losers...

I'm guessing that the scope is pretty loud and you would not want it to be running on your bench all of the time, if so I would not want to sell my 3000T series scope to help cover the taxes.

Jon

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:53 am »
If my understanding to US tax law is correct, in most US states the one who gives gifts pays tax, not the recipient. That's why Keysight excluded some US states from eligibility list.

Your understanding is incorrect.

Gift tax is federal.

You are correct that the gift giver pays, and it's pretty hefty at 50%.  So contest winnings are not normally considered gifts but rather income, and yes income tax is due on them.  11 states do not have income tax on contest winnings, but note that is just the state income tax portion.  There is always the federal portion.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 04:31:17 pm »
So contest winnings are not normally considered gifts but rather income, and yes income tax is due on them.  11 states do not have income tax on contest winnings, but note that is just the state income tax portion.  There is always the federal portion.

Then KS must have some method to depreciate the gift to a low price, such as by declaring it as building cost, rather than market selling price.
Otherwise I don't think anyone will accept the gift and pay more tax than the price he can sell at.

If he could only sell the scope for $8.5K right after receiving it, he would have a pretty good argument that that was the value of the contest winnings.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:05 am »
If he could only sell the scope for $8.5K right after receiving it, he would have a pretty good argument that that was the value of the contest winnings.

That's not how tax on contest winnings works.  The recipient doesn't declare the value, the prize giver does.

And it wouldn't be a good argument anyway since "the man" could just look at the marketplace and see that almost every other example of the same scope on the market is selling for near MSRP.

I doubt KS can mark it down either, they probably have to award it at fair market value.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 04:35:27 pm »

That's not how tax on contest winnings works.  The recipient doesn't declare the value, the prize giver does.
You can dispute an erroneous 1099-MISC.  You might end up exchanging a few letters with the IRS, but so what.

And it wouldn't be a good argument anyway since "the man" could just look at the marketplace and see that almost every other example of the same scope on the market is selling for near MSRP.
The IRS does not do independent research like that.  Anyway, it obviously does not sell for near MSRP, or the contest winner would have been able to get more for it.

I doubt KS can mark it down either, they probably have to award it at fair market value.
Fair market value is what it sells for in the market, which is $8.5K.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 06:57:37 pm »
The IRS does not do independent research like that.  Anyway, it obviously does not sell for near MSRP, or the contest winner would have been able to get more for it.

That's obviously untrue, otherwise distributors would be out of business.

If I sell my $40k car for $20k because I want to sell it in 24 hours, that doesn't establish a FMV of $20k for the car.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:25 am »

This is basically true. Despite our best efforts to award it at a lower than MSRP value, sweepstakes rules/taxes don't always follow logical guidelines. We'd depreciate it if we could, but because of the intricacies of tax law we can't.

If you won you could try to get a lawyer/CPA to work with the IRS on your behalf, but our hands are tied.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf