Author Topic: BM235 Frequency  (Read 2466 times)

Offline tangramTopic starter

• Contributor
BM235 Frequency
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:43:22 pm »
Just bought a second-hand Fluke 85 III multimeter.  Once I got it home I was keen to make sure it's working properly and, of course, I broke out my trusty EEVBlog BM235 multimeter to use as a reference.

I'm very happy that, in ranges, the Fluke is almost digit for digit giving the same results as the BM235.  All but one!. 

Using a Siglent signal source, I can see the Fluke measuring a DC or AC frequency up to about 500Khz.  I can't get the BM235 measuring frequency at all... not a sausage.

It's no biggy... I've never even thought to try this trick, but is it because there's a problem or, and I'm guessing this is option has a high degree of probability, am I misunderstanding what the Frequency Counter of the BM235 is actually capable of measuring, i.e. it's not designed to read frequencies at low voltages?

"All specifications are subject to change!"

Offline Karlo_Moharic

• Regular Contributor
Re: BM235 Frequency
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »
Try to measure AC mains frequency  , you should have enough of the amplitude

Offline tangramTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »
BINGO!

Into the mains, with all safety precautions of course, and 242v... switch to Hz and....................... 49.95 Hz.  :-+

Many thanks, Karlo.   :-DMM
"All specifications are subject to change!"

Offline Karlo_Moharic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
No problem

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:42:06 am »
Hi tangram!

I saw the same thing as you with the BM235, fine on mains level (even on VFD, which I use a lot in industrial app) but it's supposed to work on lower levels, but I couldn't make it work. When you switch to freq it tells you the voltage level it's working on, so if you start with a smalish signal it tells it's on 6V range but it doesn't display freq. Have you found a solution or something about this? It could come handy once in a while to check a thing or two.

JS
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:14:21 pm by JS »
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:21:49 pm »
I have not seen any problems with the BM235 and frequency (Review: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMBrymen%20BM235%20UK.html), it requires less than 0.1Vrms to count. The signal must include zero crossing!

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:03 pm »
I have not seen any problems with the BM235 and frequency (Review: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMBrymen%20BM235%20UK.html), it requires less than 0.1Vrms to count.
Nice to know, I should look further...
The signal must include zero crossing!
Why??? but why??? couldn't they make it AC coupled?? I guess I should make it ac coupled outside the meter to measure... DIY AC coupled probes?? Time to add a cap inside a probe and label outside, for me it's quite useful to check PWM frequencies and general µC pin toggling which doesn't include zero crossing, maybe that's my issue.

JS

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:23 pm »
The signal must include zero crossing!
Why??? but why??? couldn't they make it AC coupled?? I guess I should make it ac coupled outside the meter to measure... DIY AC coupled probes?? Time to add a cap inside a probe and label outside, for me it's quite useful to check PWM frequencies and general µC pin toggling which doesn't include zero crossing, maybe that's my issue.

Many multimeters requires a zero crossing. I have not been counting, but I believe that significantly more than 50% of the meters I have reviewed requires it.
Some meters has a offset on the detection (between 1 or 2 volt), this means they will work with most pwm signals and some meters has a capacitor on the input.

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »
Many multimeters requires a zero crossing. I have not been counting, but I believe that significantly more than 50% of the meters I have reviewed requires it.
Some meters has a offset on the detection (between 1 or 2 volt), this means they will work with most pwm signals and some meters has a capacitor on the input.
I'll check with a cap in my next debugging and come back...

JS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf