Author Topic: BM786 Input Legend + Selector Wobble Question  (Read 474 times)

Offline MildInductorTopic starter

BM786 Input Legend + Selector Wobble Question
« on: May 15, 2024, 12:44:05 pm »
Hi everyone, I recently received my EEVBlog BM786 and wow is it a great DMM! I have two questions relating to it:
1) Above the two leftmost inputs there is a small symbol which I haven't been able to find a reference for in the manual. Perhaps someone can tell me what it means? I have attached a photo of the symbol in question.
2) The input selector appear to have quite a bit of wobble in the up/down direction. Is this normal? I have attached a GIF of the wobble.

Re: BM786 Input Legend + Selector Wobble Question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 12:47:29 pm »
Attempt #2 at posting the GIF :)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 01:09:04 pm »
At 1 hour 9 min, you can see how the prototype 786 switch was after 50,000 full cycles.  The symbol wasn't something I asked them about.  Looking at a draft of the manual, there was no mention of it.   

Online Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 01:23:27 pm »
1) Above the two leftmost inputs there is a small symbol which I haven't been able to find a reference for in the manual. Perhaps someone can tell me what it means? I have attached a photo of the symbol in question.

It means that the meter will beep if you insert a plug in any of the two current inputs and the rotary dial is not set for measuring current. This is supposed to prevent user errors (and save expensive fuses).

Offline sonpul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 01:24:59 pm »
The symbols at the top left above the terminals indicate that if the probes are connected incorrectly, a signal will sound.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 01:44:03 pm »
woah   that does wobble a lot ??  but seems in height 

if you play like this   is the meter still maintain its position on the dial notches  or it create falses functions selections or intermittent readings etc ..  ?

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 09:23:12 pm »
Page 22 of the manual under "Special Features": "BeepJack™"
Other Brymen models have a larger symbol with the word "JACK" inside.  They might have been space constrained on the BM78x series and changed it.

My BM789 selector is also similarly loose.  It should not be a problem, as the portion you are rocking does not have the contacts in it.  It connects to the actual selector via a shaft.  That selector is held in by another plastic piece with 4 screws and so it is not able to move as much.  Here is a photo from another thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-bm789/msg3700972/#msg3700972

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 10:03:00 am »
Thanks everyone, that is great to know re the symbol.

In terms of the switch wobble, after looking at various videos online of other people reviewing their units I can't see a similar wobble. Granted none of them wobble the switch in the up/down direction. I am quite satisfied with the DMM so I am just going to forget about it :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf