Products > Test Equipment

Bought TTi EL302P off ebay, dead display

(1/15) > >>

staze:
Sure others might have saw this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380545309157

Figured it's a great power supply, and if it's got a dead display (only), it's still a great supply. Hoping I'll be able to fix. Anyone have any suggestions (haven't gotten it yet) on where to start, or should I just try contacting TTi to see about replacement parts? The fact BOTH are dead obviously leads me to think it's a common component rather than just one of the panels.

I'm in the states, btw. I did manage to find the service manual online.

Guessing I'm going to get "wait until you have it". =) I do plan to test output voltage and current immediately. But for $86 with shipping, it's still a darn good price even with the dead display (assuming everything else works)... isn't it?

free_electron:
Probably some i ternal voltage that is missing. These meters needto float. I would not be amazed if it is a simple fuse or rectifier that popped internally. Could even be the connector coming fro. Transformer that popped loose. They use those moled idc connectors inside.

Some ttis have an additional transformer for the comtrol circuitry.... Could be the fuse there..

Most likely it is very simple to repair.

staze:
That's what I figured.

Once I have it in hand I'll take a meter to it. The service manual seems extremely well written and detailed.

Thanks!

staze:
I guess big question is... think the fault will be visible, or am I going to be hunting? Looks like, from the service manual, they're all largely single sided pcbs (well, think there might be some caps on the back of the ICs but seemingly nothing major).

Thanks!

**What am I doing?! wait until you have it in hand!

amspire:

--- Quote from: staze on April 11, 2013, 06:38:06 am ---Sure others might have saw this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380545309157

Figured it's a great power supply, and if it's got a dead display (only), it's still a great supply. Hoping I'll be able to fix. Anyone have any suggestions (haven't gotten it yet) on where to start, or should I just try contacting TTi to see about replacement parts? The fact BOTH are dead obviously leads me to think it's a common component rather than just one of the panels.

--- End quote ---
It has LED 7 segment displays, so you are right - it is unlikely to be the displays that are faulty. It may be that it is basically a analog power supply with a micro added to do the RS232 and remote voltage and current settings. When in remote mode, the front panel controls are locked out, and with the coarse and fine knobs, it just looks like conventional pots on the front.

So it is possible that the whole digital board has a problem, and probably the worse case scenario would be a custom programmed micro chip has died. You would have to get a replacement from the manufacturer for that.  But the fault is probably something else, and it could easily be a simple fix.

If you need to talk to another owner, IanB has one:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tti-el302p-power-supply/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version