Author Topic: Brymen 257S lost calibration data  (Read 21475 times)

Offline SjokoladeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Brymen 257S lost calibration data
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:06 pm »
Two days ago I had to contact Brymen again as Tme is not responding to my emails.

Sorry to contact you again but Tme has not replied to me regarding postage for this item - I sent them mail November 24 and December 4 but still no reply from them.

How can we fix this ?

As always Brymen replies are fast.
Hello,

I have informed our direct agent about your case. Hope it will help.

Best Regards

The Polish Brymen importer contacts me.

Hello,

I received information from Mr Gary XXXXX that you have some problems with your BM257s, which you bought in TME.
We are official importer and distributor of Brymen meters in Poland and in this is why we perform warranty repairs for TME.

You can choose one of two ways to solve your problem:
1. Trying to receive reply from TME. I am not sure, but probably you should arrange the shipment to their office on your own. In fact after you send the meter to them, it will be forwarded to our service. After that we would send it back to TME. It would take some time probably.
2. You can send the meter directly to us. Unfortunately you would have to pay the cost of shipping to our service, but warranty repair and return shipment cost would be on our side.

I suggest second solution to save time, as you wait so long by now.
If you decide to choose this option, please just send me the message including your Brymen's serial number, return address + short description of the problem (it is needed to prepare warranty repair form, which I would prepare for your case).

The package with meter should be sent to address below:
Biall Sp. z o.o.
ul. Barniewicka 54c
80-299 Gda?sk
Poland
Attn: XXXXXXX
+48 XXXXXX

+ remark on package : "SERVICE"

Waiting for reply.

Pozdrawiam serdecznie / Best Regards,

Hello again,
I have just discuss the issue of BM257s with our service manager and found third solution.
As you wrote - your Brymen seems to work properly, the only problem is "C_Er" information.
Due to our service manager experience, all BM257s, which was sent back with same problem, were checked for the specification and everything was withing the specified range.
In that case, to "turn off' calibration error message, you can start calibration procedure and leave it at once. After that the error message is cleared and the meter still holds it's specification.
Of course to check 100% of measured parameters, the checking should be performed using special calibration tool, but - as I wrote before - from our service manager experience, none of returned BM257s was out of it's specification by now (if only it was not damaged somehow).

So beside the two options I wrote you about before, you can choose this third one and "cancel error message" on your own.

If you would like to choose this option, please perform below steps one by one.

Start calibration mode

1-1)         Turn Rotary Knob to "OFF" position.

1-2)         Press and hold "SELECT" and "HOLD" buttons, and then turn "Rotary Switch" from "OFF" to "W" function position within one second.

1-3)         If "000.0W" is displayed, then the meter enters calibration successfully. Now depress "SELECT" and "HOLD" buttons.

After all please turn off the meter (turn Rotary Knob to "OFF" position).

Error information should be cleared.

Please let me know what you decide to do.

Seems as this is not the first BM257s with the same problem as mine.
When he means 'W' function position he means ohm, perhaps a font/gmail problem.

No, this does not work - meter does not enter calibration mode, I must have tried 'select' + 'hold' button + turn knob to ohm setting 50 times by now.
Display never shows '000.0?'
I uploaded video for you - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lav3ojfcivxs4q7/AAAWT3Pi07DhRyXHtvkmuSN8a?dl=0

But even if the meter never enters calibration mode the display now does not show “C_Er" error anymore, even if this is a good thing it makes me worry about the quality and life expectancy of this meter as it can fail at any time.
I will use it for some time and if it fails/calibration error comes back I will return it to you.

The meter is also out of specification - you can see my measuremens in link below
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-257s-lost-calibration-data/msg804869/#msg804869

Thanks

One positive outcome, 'C_Er' is not shown again even if the meter never enters calibration mode, display never show '000.0?' - see my dropbox videolink down below.

I have not seen, that meter is out of specification before - I assumed, that it measures everything correct, just error message is shown.
In this situation it should be sent back for calibration to perform correct readings.

And I was right about the life expectancy,  tonight I got another fault-autorange and continuity failes - see dropbox video link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lav3ojfcivxs4q7/AAAWT3Pi07DhRyXHtvkmuSN8a?dl=0

I'm sending the meter back even if postage is costly but I'm happy Biall Sp. z o.o. pays return postage to me, sofar these guys seems serious and comparing them to Tme would not be fair.

I can't understand why Tme is allowed to sell Brymen when there is no support whatsoever, I feel it brings the Brymen name unnecessary shame.

I 'X' out names and phone numbers in the mails above.

If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »
I can't understand why Tme is allowed to sell Brymen when there is no support whatsoever, I feel it brings the Brymen name unnecessary shame.
Hmm, I must count to 100 before replying about how useless "middle man" supposedly value added resellers are.  Otherwise, this will completely derail your thread with the number of stories I have.  Even now, I can feel the rant building up inside.

Hopefully, TME get less business in the future for their inactions and lack of after sales support.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:46 pm »
Start calibration mode

1-1)         Turn Rotary Knob to "OFF" position.

1-2)         Press and hold "SELECT" and "HOLD" buttons, and then turn "Rotary Switch" from "OFF" to "W" function position within one second.

1-3)         If "000.0W" is displayed, then the meter enters calibration successfully. Now depress "SELECT" and "HOLD" buttons.

After all please turn off the meter (turn Rotary Knob to "OFF" position).
No, this does not work - meter does not enter calibration mode, I must have tried 'select' + 'hold' button + turn knob to ohm setting 50 times by now.
Display never shows '000.0?'
I uploaded video for you - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lav3ojfcivxs4q7/AAAWT3Pi07DhRyXHtvkmuSN8a?dl=0
Before you send it back, try entering calibration mode again. I noticed in your video that you keep holding the two buttons long after turning the knob to resistance, only releasing the buttons after the display has completed the all-segments test and has switched to zero. Look at how mjlorton does it, he releases the buttons immediately after turning the knob, releasing them while the display is still doing the all-segments test:

It may be that you need to press the buttons, turn the knob, and release the buttons all within one second. (In fact, I doubt it matters how long you hold the buttons before you turn the knob, since it's likely not powered at all.)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 01:49:22 am »
Now that the information has been made public, I can confirm that this is the correct procedure for entering calibration mode. You need only press the "Select" and "Hold" buttons long enough for the display to initiate. You must turn the selector to OHMS while holding these keys. Holding them longer is not a problem and the meter should enter calibration mode even if you hold them till all zeros show. Turn the meter back off once you have started calibration mode. Do not try to calibrate it without proper references and knowledge.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 01:01:46 pm »
Your both right and I realize now that the meter does enter calibration mode - I guess thats the why the calibration error now is gone but as the autorange and continuity failed I will send it back and also get it calibrated.

Thanks guys.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »
Now that the information has been made public, I can confirm that this is the correct procedure for entering calibration mode. You need only press the "Select" and "Hold" buttons long enough for the display to initiate. You must turn the selector to OHMS while holding these keys. Holding them longer is not a problem and the meter should enter calibration mode even if you hold them till all zeros show.
Which procedure is correct? From the two videos we've got, it certainly looks as though holding the buttons until zeros doesn't work. Maybe it depends on the exact model, but it certainly appears that switching to ohms and releasing the buttons must happen within one second.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »
Holding "Select" and "Hold" buttons and turning the selector to ohms and when display initiate count to one and release buttons works just as fine as holding "Select" and "Hold" buttons and turning the selector to ohms and holding buttons longer - both options will take you to calibration mode - I was looking for display to show 250.00ohms as mjlorton meter does but the 257s should show 000.0ohm in calibration mode.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:44:02 pm by Sjokolade »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 01:26:22 pm »
I sent my meter back to Biall Sp. z o.o in january and they calibrated it and had it delivered to my door 10 days later - thats fast turnaround time. I payed 15$ to ship it to them and they paid for postage to me.

I have been using it for a few months now and it's like a new meter, look at these measurements.

Thanks to Wojciech at Biall Sp. z o.o and Gary Wang at Brymen for helping me out.  :-+

If it matters to anyone I never heard anything back from Tme.

The following users thanked this post: nuno

Offline dav

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:26 am »
Turned on my 257s today and noticed the low battery warning, the meter turned itself on/off a few times so I replaced the both batteries.
Display now shows a 'C_Er' error for a second or two every time I turn meter on.
Forgot to say that the low battery warning was flickering on/off for about 3-5 seconds before the meter turned itself on/off a few times.

Same happened to me a few days ago.
I tried to remove the "C_Er" startup message without success (I can enter calibration mode, but turning off and then on, the multimeter still shows that message).
Moreover, I also have "C_Er" message when entering in calibration mode.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:49:00 am by dav »

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:14 am »
May be someone knows procedure to calibrate "Resistance measurement" function? Device always adding +2 or +3 last digits to all (except 000.0 Ohm and 00.00 MOhm) ranges of resistance measurements, it is quite annoying. I know this fit to the specs but I believe my BM252s can do better.

Offline GAVER

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 05:11:05 pm »

1)   Turn Rotary Knob to "OFF" position.
2)   Press and hold "SELECT" and "HOLD" buttons, and then turn "Rotary Switch" from "OFF" to "" function position within one second.
3)   "000.0" is displayed
4)   Input 000.0, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
5)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
6)   “300.0” is displayed
7)   Input 300.0, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
8)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
9)   “3.000k” is displayed
10)   Input 3.000k, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
11)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
12)   “30.00k” is displayed
13)   Input 30.00k, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
14)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
15)   “300.0k” is displayed
16)   Input 300.0k, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
17)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
18)   “3.000M” is displayed
19)   Input 3.000M, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
20)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
21)   “30.00M” is displayed
22)   Input 29.80M, press "SELECT" and then "REL" buttons simultaneously
23)   Wait till reading is stable, press "SELECT" and then “HOLD” buttons simultaneously.
24)   Turn to OFF to terminate the calibration

Attached is the procedures to calibrate BM257 resistance function. If the problem of your unit is only for 600 OHM range, you may turn meter off right after proceeding with "Procedure 8th". Please be careful. Wrong calibration operation may lead to ..... .   

Offline GAVER

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 05:46:29 pm »
Technical support Brymen is very good,  feel free to contact

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2023, 11:40:06 pm »
Turned on my 257s today and (...)
Display now shows a 'C_Er' error for a second or two every time I turn meter on.
How often does this calibration error appear on BM257s?? How many people have experienced this? Does it appear even at other Brymen multimeters?
I have a BM829s from 2016 and there are no problems.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2023, 11:36:48 am »
Turned on my 257s today and (...)
How often does this calibration error appear on BM257s?? How many people have experienced this? Does it appear even at other Brymen multimeters?
I have a BM829s from 2016 and there are no problems.

I have never had a report of a calibration issue on any BM235 or BM786

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2023, 03:09:33 pm »
Thank you. It was probably a (rare?) problem back in 2015 and does not appear today.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2024, 02:54:02 am »
Got the C-Er message on my Brymen 257. I'm not sure when it started as the meter was recently returned to me.

it doesn't measure AC volts,  stays blank looking like autoranging when measuring 415V ac.
even on fix ranged mode it say OL. I can't trust it.
So i guess its going in the bin.
Probably NV memory i guess.

Even though I am from Australia i purchased this meter from TME poland around 2015. must have been a bad batch.
ps. Brymen 789 works fine and is my favourite meter, and was also purchased from TME maybe 4 years ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf