Author Topic: Brymen 869s owners: is this normal?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline NiseiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Brymen 869s owners: is this normal?
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:50:11 pm »
Just received my brand new 869s but when I turned on the backlight I was greeted with this very dark left side of the screen.
It looks like the LEDs on the left side are missalligned or something.
As you can see in the 2nd picture the lighting is very even on the right side of the screen.
The 3rd picture shows the left side of the screen clearly showing the separate 3 LEDs and very uneven lighting.
Please tell me it ain't supposed to be like that. I've seen backlight on cheap meters that looks better.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen 869s owners: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 02:15:59 pm »
It is normal, it is the same on my 867. It doesn't bother me to much as I seldom use the backlight anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:28:58 pm »
Seriously?
Well that sucks!
I've done my own lighting on a previous meter that didn't have lighting and it looked better than this.
Quite disappointed to see this on a €200 meter.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 02:41:50 pm »
Pretty bad, if they are all like that!

Here is my UT71 for reference:

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 03:21:10 pm »
It looks like the LEDs on the left side are missalligned or something.
As you can see in the 2nd picture the lighting is very even on the right side of the screen.

Yes, my meter is also slightly dark at the left side, but it has never prevented me from reading the display or even made it harder to read the display.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 03:27:20 pm »
Check this video at 17:35
https://youtu.be/K-4L2JarVxA
Backlight looks perfectly fine to me.
Nothing like what I'm experiencing with mine.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 04:15:58 pm »
Yes, yours is definitely not from the same batch.
See what Brymen has to say about it.
In my opinion, you should receive a replacement meter.
I would be surprised if they say this is an acceptable backlight.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
I'm certainly going to contact them about it.
I know it's one of the least important features on a multimeter but when buying a €200 meter (my first "serious" meter) you may expect such a feature to perform at least equal to a sub €50 meter.
This looks dim, unequal and when looked at from a slight angle to the right it's even aweful.
Yes, my meter is also slightly dark at the left side, but it has never prevented me from reading the display or even made it harder to read the display.
Okay but when buying a new TV and there's a dark spot on one side of the screen most people will be annoyed as well. The TV works fine otherwise and you can see what's happening on the screen but that doesn't mean you take such things for granted.
You've paid enough so you want it to be like it should be.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:03:57 pm by Nisei »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 07:16:22 pm »
Okay but when buying a new TV and there's a dark spot on one side of the screen most people will be annoyed as well. The TV works fine otherwise and you can see what's happening on the screen but that doesn't mean you take such things for granted.
You've paid enough so you want it to be like it should be.

On a TV I would care, on a multimeter LCD display I do not care very much (you meter may be darker than mine) as long as the display is easy readable. I do have other multimeters where the display is not always easy readable and I do not like that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 07:40:02 pm »
On a TV I would care, on a multimeter LCD display I do not care very much (you meter may be darker than mine) as long as the display is easy readable. I do have other multimeters where the display is not always easy readable and I do not like that.
Ah well, I've sent an email to Brymen so I'll see what they have to say.
But either way, some people don't care too much about it while others (like me) are very annoyed by it. Especially since it's the first time I'm buying a proper meter.
For the money I think such a simple feature should be right. Especially since other manufacturers can do it right on meters that cost only a quarter of this one. And I don't think those manufacturers skimp on other specs just to give it a nice backlight  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 09:32:33 pm »
Personally I'd rather they concentrated on getting the rest of the meter working well, which they do. Like it or not the screen backlight is a minor detail when you stop and consider that you are getting is a meter that does all the important bits very well and has advanced features. It is Fluke grade of meter but almost 50% of the Fluke price, Cat IV rated @ 1,000V something that you'll be hard pressed to match with any other meter other than Fluke, at the price. Safety does not come that cheaply.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:54:55 pm »
Strange that 'auto hold' was not in their to do list.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:06:15 pm »
Like it or not the screen backlight is a minor detail...
I know, I know, it's just that I'd expect the backlight of a meter that costs 4 times as much as previous meters I've owned to be at least as good.

Offline carlitos

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 12:48:40 am »
I bought one two weeks ago, and happens the same to backlight.
For me is not a concern because I rarely will use. I think more problematic are change battery and the stability on tabletop when rotate rotary switch.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:25 am »
Show Brymen their own description of the backlight:

Offline nez

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 10:58:55 am »
My 869s that was purchased a few years ago is exactly the same, and I've never considered it to be a problem at all.  I don't often need to use the backlight anyway, and when I do, if I can read the numbers in a dark room I'm happy with it.

This is coming from someone who does fret and worry about stuff like blacklight bleed, uneven brightness, color accuracy, etc. on computer monitors before buying.

It's just a straight-forward design - I like that it uses 3 lights rather than just a single one on the side, but it's not a big deal to me either way.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 01:29:03 pm »
I know, I know, it's just that I'd expect the backlight of a meter that costs 4 times as much as previous meters I've owned to be at least as good.

I assume that was your post on my channel.   Let me try and provide an example of how the ambient light, camera settings, angle...  can effect how the data is presented.

PIC1 is showing my original BM869s.   

PIC2 is showing the exact same meter on the left with the same battery.   Camera settings and ambient light were changed.   Notice how it appears very dim and washed out.   I have two of these meters, one much newer and they appear about the same with the same conditions.     Normally when I try and compare the displays, I want several meters and will have them in various types of light and viewing angles.   

Your point of the cost is valid and for you the backlight sounds like a deal breaker.  In PIC2, the meter on the right is one of the Fluke 189 with the backlight turned up to the highest setting.   I would imagine if Fluke were still selling this meter, the cost would be a fair bit higher than the Brymen.   

I run battery life tests now and one thing that I have noticed is how the backlight is implemented on meters is not always the same.  On some meters the battery voltage can have an effect on the backlight.   I think when I looked at the BM869s, they regulate it.  Someone would need to verify this.  From what I have seen, the backlights are what draw the most current.   The BM869s uses a single 9V battery, so it would make sense they regulate it to increase the battery life.   

Of all the meters I have looked at, these two models are still my favorites but again, that's my personal preference.  In your case, is sounds like the backlight is high on your metrics.  I suggest just returning the meter and find something that better suits you.    If my only criteria were simply the most sexy display, hands down, I would take the UNI-T UT181A.    You may want to have a look at one of these.   

https://youtu.be/pPCtnQa0Thc?t=991

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 02:45:02 pm »
I assume that was your post on my channel.

In your case, is sounds like the backlight is high on your metrics.  I suggest just returning the meter and find something that better suits you.    If my only criteria were simply the most sexy display, hands down, I would take the UNI-T UT181A.
Hi Joe
Thanks for getting back about this and providing pictures. Yes, that was me asking about the backlight on your channel.
The backlight is not high on my metrics. I'm well aware about the capabilities of the meter in fact that's the reason I've bought it.
I was just surprised to see such an uneven backlight on such a hi spec meter. I would never consider returning it for such an issue and choosing a different meter but thanks for your effort in coming up with suggestions.

Anyway, Brymen was quick to answer my question and has acknowledged the problem.
They're saying it more or less concerns whole production lots and it's caused by the light diffusion plate.
They're currently working on it and the problem will probably be fixed in a few months from now.

The following users thanked this post: Wytnucls, nez

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf