Author Topic: Brymen BM789  (Read 71001 times)

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
Re: Brymen BM789
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2022, 07:23:58 pm »
Range + hold + power on   is this bm789 calibration mode?

Online Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2022, 02:04:25 am »
It would be better if he did not show this intermediate value.

Agree.

I am sure that the firmware can fix this.

Let's hope so, for the future buyers. It won't help you and me, because the firmware is not user updateable in BM789.

Offline NeutrionTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2022, 02:14:18 pm »
I can confirm this too, however, it's not an issue, as I would normally wait anyway more than a second to let the values stabilize. Especially if I need an exact reading and not just an approximation. (Which is displayed really fast.) On manual range the problem disappears.

Anyone having a newer FW than 08 so far?

BM789 is a very accurate (and great for its price) meter, but not exactly a joy to use. Still a nice one.

I disagree, for me it's a joy to use. :)  The super big display numbers, and the nice warm white background light  are hard to beat for any other meters in the same display count and meter size category. (Regarding the usage feelings.)
And it's magnetic holder is also unmatched, if we are talking about field use.
Poor little meter, its one of the best on the market, but in this topic it almost only got beating for some very minor issues.

The following users thanked this post: derree

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2022, 07:19:02 pm »
Poor little meter, its one of the best on the market, but in this topic it almost only got beating for some very minor issues.

Any excuse for the Fluke fanboys.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2022, 08:14:40 pm »

Any excuse for the Fluke fanboys.

I'm a Fluke fanboy, but I have no bad words to say about the BM789, or any other Brymen meter I've seen. Hope that doesn't mean I have to hand my membership back in...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2022, 08:21:00 pm »
I'm a Fluke fanboy, but I have no bad words to say about the BM789, or any other Brymen meter I've seen. Hope that doesn't mean I have to hand my membership back in...

I'm afraid it does.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2022, 01:45:02 pm »
It was actually me who broght up some "problems" and I am not a Fluke fanboy, but when someone reads through the topic could get the feeling that the meter is full of problems while it's actually not.
Just the Brymen fanboys Fluke-fanboy-like love is missing, about warm feelings, love, and happiness while we are mearusing with the meter, and other peoples feeling when we show them what we have. :)

But I can begin: When I am looking at nice crisp display of the BM789, it gives me confidence, not just in the measurement, in life in general. And such a meter is hard to design!

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2022, 03:20:26 pm »
It was actually me who broght up some "problems" and I am not a Fluke fanboy, but when someone reads through the topic could get the feeling that the meter is full of problems while it's actually not.
Just the Brymen fanboys Fluke-fanboy-like love is missing, about warm feelings, love, and happiness while we are mearusing with the meter, and other peoples feeling when we show them what we have. :)

Yep. Brymen fanboys aren't afraid to dig deep and find the tiny imperfections (if any).

Fluke fanboys are content to just put the meter on a pedestal and worship.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2022, 04:57:31 pm »
I'm afraid I have to agree.

And to not to start division, and endless debates, I hope we can all agree on the fact, that the Brymen fanboys and their meters (only the Brymen ones!) are generally better in EVERYTHING!

(I just became a Brymen fanboy, the official papers just arrived.)

On the other hand, there are still fields where we could learn something, I started to build a pedestral.  Just finally have to get the courage to peal off the foil from the display of the BM789.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2022, 06:32:53 pm »
Just finally have to get the courage to peal off the foil from the display of the BM789.

The first thing I do with all my meters is cut a piece of smartphone screen protector to size and stick it on the display.

There's a few meters with a screens which are curved in both X and Y and the protector won't stay on, I'm looking at you, Fluke 101.

I hope the curvy modern Brymens aren't like that.

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2022, 09:07:00 pm »
I was also thinking about that, but it is a bit curvy. Not sure either how it will affect the display quality.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2022, 07:43:12 pm »
So, it boggles my mind that none of the forum members from this topic pointed us sofar to this discussion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-multimeters-fault/       

Where Joes Smith and some others measured the mVAC and AC+DC scale of many handheld meters, and the result was, (regarding the missing OL indication) that most of the meters(including most, if not all the Flukes as well) do this on the mV scale, and there was practically only one meter which seemed to overrange reliably instead showing false values and it was the Extech EX540.

So some of you mentioned that this is a problem with a few meters sometimes, but it seems everybody forgot about the topic where the exact measurements were mentioned years ago.    |O :palm:

It makes me feel  much better about the  BM789, because it seems that it is possibly not so trivial at all to solve this issue, and many other much more expensive meters are also plagued.    :phew:

Still it would be nice to know wether there is any new FW, and test this stuff with it.

Offline vqtrong

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: January 28, 2022, 07:01:16 am »
Still it would be nice to know wether there is any new FW, and test this stuff with it.

I really really want to know if there is any way to update new FW, even in a hacky way. 'cause I'll cry so much when someone has a new FW and plays with it  :palm:  |O

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: January 28, 2022, 12:46:36 pm »
So, it boggles my mind that none of the forum members from this topic pointed us sofar to this discussion:

:palm:  Why? The search engine is available for everyone to use.   It boggles my mind that anyone would expect other members to do their research. .... well, not so much anymore..    Wait a year, it will come up again.   This time I will expect you to point out all of the previous threads that cover it. 

May as well include the more recent links as well. 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-869s-dc-offset-issue-when-reading-acmv/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-bm789/msg3696892/#msg3696892
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:25:06 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2022, 03:06:23 pm »
Judging by the review on YouTube, bm785 measures resistance faster than bm789. A little embarrassing. They are essentially the same.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2022, 05:22:40 pm »

:palm:  Why? The search engine is available for everyone to use.   It boggles my mind that anyone would expect other members to do their research. .... well, not so much anymore..    Wait a year, it will come up again.   This time I will expect you to point out all of the previous threads that cover it. 

May as well include the more recent links as well. 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-869s-dc-offset-issue-when-reading-acmv/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-bm789/msg3696892/#msg3696892

I actually read a lot about Brymen meters before, but somehow that topic was not found.
But yes normally in such cases if I remember that the whole issue was discussed before in detail I remind
the others of that.

Judging by the review on YouTube, bm785 measures resistance faster than bm789. A little embarrassing. They are essentially the same.

785, or 786? I suppose 786, but  the 785 should exist as well.

Little update: I put a relative thin screen protector foil on the screen, and it works well, and does not affect the screen negatively. But it really has to be thin, as the screen is slightly curved.

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2022, 12:52:07 pm »
Yes review in Russian. In general, somewhere should be trial models 783,784,787,788 and BT. Probably decided not to release them.

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2022, 05:33:46 pm »
Calibration is entered by pressing the button rec + ohm .

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2022, 03:27:53 pm »
Sorry for the late reply!
Do you know aything more of the calibration procedure? I watched the russian Video, but it is hard to tell whether there are any speed differences.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2022, 10:17:29 am »
Yes review in Russian. In general, somewhere should be trial models 783,784,787,788 and BT. Probably decided not to release them.

The bluetooth version was supposed to be released at launch time but they had issues implementing it. I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2022, 05:26:40 am »
Does anyone know what changes are in firmware 78909 and 78910?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2022, 04:38:43 pm »
Any info from anyone regarding these two new fw version? (09, 10) On Brymens site, it is not even offered for download.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2022, 06:07:40 pm »
I'm not aware of any Brymen DMMs that have updateable firmware...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2022, 08:44:28 pm »
The new ones (78x) have updateable FW, Dave even made a video about it, but it is not aviable for us comon people, only distributors.
Although a changelog would be nice. Whether the issues we touched on in this topic were resolved or not.
I couldn't find any FW change info in the 786 topic either.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2022, 01:43:39 am »
Is the Hycontek firmware readable from the chip?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf