Author Topic: BRYMEN BM857S or other multimeter - USB connection & own JAVA program  (Read 573 times)

Offline bipolunipolTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello,

I am looking for a multimeter that can be connected to the computer. I would like to write an application (e.g. in JAVA) that will take readings from the meter and then process it appropriately.

I am interested in measuring, in addition to the standard parameters, capacitance of capacitors (and maybe inductance, but it is not necessary).

I read a bit on the Internet about meters and the BRYMEN BM857S multimeter is very often recommended. It has the ability to connect to a computer - you can use the attached application after connecting. However, it can be problematic to connect this meter to your own program...

So I would like to ask what kind of meters you recommend (price range of this BRYMEN and with similar accuracy), so that such a meter could be easily operated via serial interface in e.g. JAVA language?

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: BRYMEN BM857S or other multimeter - USB connection & own JAVA program
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:06:30 am »
New Brymen meters uses a HID interface, that is very tricky to use from Java, older meter uses a serial interface. In both cases the transmitted data is display segments, not ascii format.
You can also check out: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html that program can log and do some data processing with a lot of different multimeters.

The following users thanked this post: bipolunipol

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: BRYMEN BM857S or other multimeter - USB connection & own JAVA program
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 11:02:54 am »
I read a bit on the Internet about meters and the BRYMEN BM857S multimeter is very often recommended.

It's a good meter.  :-+

It has the ability to connect to a computer - you can use the attached application after connecting. However, it can be problematic to connect this meter to your own program...

The meter appears as a serial port. You can open it and read the data, no problem.

This thread discusses the programming:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

The following users thanked this post: bipolunipol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf