Author Topic: Brymen BM867s ???  (Read 14660 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BM867s ???
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:50 am »
So it's a one time buy suggesting that's the last DMM you will ever purchase.   Let's assume you're 40 years old and will die at the age of 60.   I suspect the meter if not abused will out live you.  Say the meter you want costs $400 but you plan to settle for one that costs $100 to save that upfront cost.  The $400 meter was $20/yearish  assuming you don't make any investments.  Or $1.70 / month. 

a) Some of us have spouses ("SWMBO")

b) I don't know of any $400 meter that's significantly better than a $200 Brymen. Many famous $400 meters are worse.

c) A $200 meter is already in the "luxury item" area. It may be better to go the opposite way and use a $25 meter for a while until you have everything else sorted out. Multimeters are about the only item where the cheapo $25 option actually works. You can't say that about cheapo oscilloscopes, etc.

It all depends on each person.  I'm sure you will find people who feel that the free meters we get from HF are good enough and for their particular circumstance, I wouldn't disagree.  For them, even a $50 meter may offer no significant value.   Of course that doesn't imply that the free meters fit everyone's requirements. 

Offline nubinstanleyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:18 am »
The BM867s has single channel temp measurement right ? Hopefully, it comes with one temp probe ? ???

Nope.

Edit: But the cheapo Alixpress AN870 does - which is another reason you need more then one meter (did I say that already?)

:D ;D

The why does the product page say so ?  :-//

https://brymen.eu/shop/bm867s/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 05:34:48 am »
I have a BM867s, and I have found it to be an excellent, reliable meter.  It does not support temperature measurements as a setting on the meter.  That is reserved specifically for the 869s.  By the way, when purchasing a new 867s or 869s, make sure you ask the vendor to give you the one with the latest firmware on it.  The most recent firmware has the longer duration backlight (256 seconds rather than 16 seconds).  I have found the 16 second backlight to be basically useless, and you definitely want to get the version with the longer backlight.

:-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 05:41:47 am »
Hi All

Wanted to make a one time investment on a decent DMM and after a bit of research, I kinda locked on to the BM869s. Wanting to keep the budget a bit lower, started considering the BM867s.

My major use for the DMM would be for electronics projects. I would also be using it to repair consumer electronics devices occasionally (and other occasional mains use). Does a BM867s fit the bill ?

I am hoping to add one of those budget DSOs sometime in the near future as well...

So it's a one time buy suggesting that's the last DMM you will ever purchase.   Let's assume you're 40 years old and will die at the age of 60.   I suspect the meter if not abused will out live you.  Say the meter you want costs $400 but you plan to settle for one that costs $100 to save that upfront cost.  The $400 meter was $20/yearish  assuming you don't make any investments.  Or $1.70 / month. 

I would have no idea what meter would fit your needs but I recommend that is what you buy.  I often receive comments from people wanting to modify their meters because they bought something that didn't meet their needs. 

Personally, I still use the bench meters a fair amount but use both the BM869s and the Fluke 189.  I like meters that can display more than one parameter.  I use the two K-type inputs on the 869s.  The UNI-T UT181A and Brymen BM789 also have this feature.   I would like to combine some of the features from about five of them that I have looked at.    :-DD   Enjoy your new meter.

While what you said about the money aspect in the long run makes sense, I have to spend the money now and the decision itself has so many other factors. :P Its not actually about affordability, rather about coming to a "balanced" and "justified" decision (if that makes sense!). :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 05:51:07 am »

a) Some of us have spouses ("SWMBO")

b) I don't know of any $400 meter that's significantly better than a $200 Brymen. Many famous $400 meters are worse.

c) A $200 meter is already in the "luxury item" area. It may be better to go the opposite way and use a $25 meter for a while until you have everything else sorted out. Multimeters are about the only item where the cheapo $25 option actually works. You can't say that about cheapo oscilloscopes, etc.

a) True that.  :-DD

c) I had dropped a mail to Brymen to find a reseller in India. The reseller in India directed me to the local dealer. The local dealer was pretty amused by the fact that I wanted a BM869s and in the end he congratulated me and said that I would be the first person to buy an 869s from them for personal use. :-DD BTW, an 869s after taxes would come to around 325 USD here in India. :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 05:54:05 am »
My major use for the DMM would be for electronics projects. I would also be using it to repair consumer electronics devices occasionally (and other occasional mains use). Does a BM867s fit the bill ?

Yes it does.

But ... personally I'd go for the BM857 because it's a much simpler user interface - less feature overload.

What Fungus tries to tell you is that too much of anything can be a burden. The 869s/867s for a hobbyist is like an SUV in a small garage. It will make you happy when you buy it. Dreaming about camping in the woods. But in reality you struggle to find a parking place at your local grocery market (ok, here in Europe parking a car can be a real challenge).

I know, you want to be prepared to master all those measurement tasks to come. But believe me, a Fluke 115 will be a superb overall answer. The more you use it the more you love it. Or a nice EEVBlog BM235. Together with your cheap DSO and a 1k resistor (for measuring uAmps once a year) you are ready for your electronics adventures.

:) :-+

Nothing against what you said, but I have already come past that internal battle.... :D A decision needed to be taken.... The Brymen it is... :P

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 12:05:24 pm »
Hi All

Wanted to make a one time investment on a decent DMM and after a bit of research, I kinda locked on to the BM869s. Wanting to keep the budget a bit lower, started considering the BM867s.

I am hoping to add one of those budget DSOs sometime in the near future as well...

I would have no idea what meter would fit your needs but I recommend that is what you buy.  I often receive comments from people wanting to modify their meters because they bought something that didn't meet their needs. 

Personally, I still use the bench meters a fair amount but use both the BM869s and the Fluke 189.  I like meters that can display more than one parameter.  I use the two K-type inputs on the 869s.  The UNI-T UT181A and Brymen BM789 also have this feature.   I would like to combine some of the features from about five of them that I have looked at.    :-DD   Enjoy your new meter.

While what you said about the money aspect in the long run makes sense, I have to spend the money now and the decision itself has so many other factors. :P Its not actually about affordability, rather about coming to a "balanced" and "justified" decision (if that makes sense!). :D
You're the only one that it needs to make sense to. 

I've never been in a situation where I had to spend money for home in a certain time frame.    At least for my electronics hobby,  I take my time and do a fair amount of research to find something that best fits my needs.   

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 12:31:48 pm »
Hi All

You're the only one that it needs to make sense to. 

I've never been in a situation where I had to spend money for home in a certain time frame.    At least for my electronics hobby,  I take my time and do a fair amount of research to find something that best fits my needs.   

Well, yeah. :) Which is how/why I kinda shortlisted the 867. I just wanted to ensure that I am going in the right direction with an 867 (given the kind of use I have for it).

Anyhow, I assumed that the 867 comes with a single channel temp measurement option (as per the website at least). I would want that feature to occasionally measure the temps on my 3D printer. Looks like I may have to move towards the 869. :)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 04:19:09 pm »
You will be happy with either choice. Since you feel that you will use the temperature feature, go for the BM869 then.

My first meter with temperature was a Fluke 179 bought many years ago - at first I thought it would be simply a gimmick but I ended up using it quite a lot, thus I consider an important feature of a modern DMM especially if you do not have anything else around - or another meter without this feature. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 04:46:40 am »

You will be happy with either choice. Since you feel that you will use the temperature feature, go for the BM869 then.

My first meter with temperature was a Fluke 179 bought many years ago - at first I thought it would be simply a gimmick but I ended up using it quite a lot, thus I consider an important feature of a modern DMM especially if you do not have anything else around - or another meter without this feature.

:-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:23 am »
c) I had dropped a mail to Brymen to find a reseller in India. The reseller in India directed me to the local dealer. The local dealer was pretty amused by the fact that I wanted a BM869s and in the end he congratulated me and said that I would be the first person to buy an 869s from them for personal use. :-DD BTW, an 869s after taxes would come to around 325 USD here in India. :)

Yikes. I wouldn't pay that for it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:26 am »

Yikes. I wouldn't pay that for it.

I wonder how much a Fluke costs there?  :o

But yeah, I'm sure Brymen (or somebody else) will do worldwide shipping and you can pay European prices.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 08:02:45 am »
But yeah, I'm sure Brymen (or somebody else) will do worldwide shipping and you can pay European prices.

I have India disabled on my DHL system, can't remember why, so I did a quote check and got this  :scared:
And the quote was AU$132 for shipping!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:05:53 am by EEVblog »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 08:19:40 am »
Welectron will ship it for 19.9 Euros.

I don't know what Indian customs will make of it though.

(probably "a meal" - DHL are very diligent about making sure they get their cut of any customs processing)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:25:50 am by Fungus »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 08:21:48 am »
Hang on, I just realised that I wasn't logged in when I made that quote. Will have to check.

Oh, much better!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:24:36 am by EEVblog »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 11:48:02 am »
If I try purchasing from Welectron, the price of the meter is shown as 175.63 Euros (no VAT ?  ???) and after shipping/discount, the price is around 192.02 Euros (231 USD - all currency conversions from google).

Including customs duty (as per calculation from a govt. website) : 295 USD (~27.7% duty)

But I somehow feel that the customs duty is gonna be higher. I remember doing similar calculations when I imported my 3D printer from Europe. I finally had to pay around 40% customs duty!! Well, the HSN codes are going to be different, but... who knows !!

With 40% duty : 323 USD

Lowest offer from local dealer : 308 USD

I can also source it locally for a lower price than this if I choose to not get a bill. I am not comfortable with this anyhow.

As long as the meter is not manufactured in India, I would assume that the price structure would look something similar. :) Well, thats how much I have to spend. :P This is also true for the Rigol/Siglent DSOs. :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:17 am »
And BTW, why does the Brymen site say that the 867s has temp measurement ? :-//

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:45 pm »
And BTW, why does the Brymen site say that the 867s has temp measurement ? :-// (Attachment Link)

The Page for the 857s also has the wrong photo: https://brymen.eu/shop/bm857s/

If you go by that image the 857 has dual temperature.  :palm:

Click the link for the data sheet. They usually get it right, unlike whoever makes the web page.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:12:24 pm by Fungus »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »
If I try purchasing from Welectron, the price of the meter is shown as 175.63 Euros (no VAT ?  ???) and after shipping/discount, the price is around 192.02 Euros (231 USD - all currency conversions from google).

Including customs duty (as per calculation from a govt. website) : 295 USD (~27.7% duty)

But I somehow feel that the customs duty is gonna be higher. I remember doing similar calculations when I imported my 3D printer from Europe. I finally had to pay around 40% customs duty!! Well, the HSN codes are going to be different, but... who knows !!

I can also source it locally for a lower price than this if I choose to not get a bill. I am not comfortable with this anyhow.

As long as the meter is not manufactured in India, I would assume that the price structure would look something similar. :) Well, thats how much I have to spend. :P This is also true for the Rigol/Siglent DSOs. :D

I could ship you a almost worthless "broken used" ;) BM786 for US$160

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2021, 02:11:08 pm »
And BTW, why does the Brymen site say that the 867s has temp measurement ? :-// (Attachment Link)

The Page for the 857s also has the wrong photo: https://brymen.eu/shop/bm857s/

If you go by that image the 857 has dual temperature.  :palm:

Click the link for the data sheet. They usually get it right, unlike whoever makes the web page.

Well, the datasheet is kinda vague too...

As per the chart, the 867s does not support T2-T1 temp measurement. It doesn't exactly say that there is no single channel temp measurement. :P Anyhow, the pic doesn't show a "T" position around the dial. :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 02:13:18 pm »

I could ship you a almost worthless "broken used" ;) BM786 for US$160

C'mon... make me an offer I can't refuse. :P Throw in an "almost gonna die" DSO with that.  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 11:47:05 pm »

Distributors/bulk importers only need pay the import taxes on their trade cost price whereas private buyers pay the import costs on retail price which is why it's normally cheaper (but not always) to purchase from your local supplier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2021, 11:18:32 am »
They don't seem to sell the Brymen BM869s in the USA. Anyone know where I should buy one in the USA?
Research the web and some said it's the same as the Greenlee DM860a but the Greenlee is selling for more than $400 in the USA.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:38:04 am by BeBuLamar »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2021, 12:39:33 pm »
They don't seem to sell the Brymen BM869s in the USA. Anyone know where I should buy one in the USA?
Research the web and some said it's the same as the Greenlee DM860a but the Greenlee is selling for more than $400 in the USA.

Yeah they don't sell them here unless its greenlee and those are way too expensive.  Get it from https://www.welectron.com/ or https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/

It's literally cheaper to ship it form overseas  than to buy from Greenlee

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2021, 01:33:28 pm »

TME has them:

https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/

Plus there's an EEVBLOG discount (if you can find it...  :) )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf