Author Topic: Brymen BM867s ???  (Read 3559 times)

Offline nubinstanley

• Contributor
Re: Brymen BM867s ???
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2021, 02:27:42 pm »
If I try purchasing from Welectron, the price of the meter is shown as 175.63 Euros (no VAT ?  ???) and after shipping/discount, the price is around 192.02 Euros (231 USD - all currency conversions from google).

Including customs duty (as per calculation from a govt. website) : 295 USD (~27.7% duty)

But I somehow feel that the customs duty is gonna be higher. I remember doing similar calculations when I imported my 3D printer from Europe. I finally had to pay around 40% customs duty!! Well, the HSN codes are going to be different, but... who knows !!

With 40% duty : 323 USD

Lowest offer from local dealer : 308 USD

I can also source it locally for a lower price than this if I choose to not get a bill. I am not comfortable with this anyhow.

As long as the meter is not manufactured in India, I would assume that the price structure would look something similar. :) Well, thats how much I have to spend. :P This is also true for the Rigol/Siglent DSOs. :D
Distributors/bulk importers only need pay the import taxes on their trade cost price whereas private buyers pay the import costs on retail price which is why it's normally cheaper (but not always) to purchase from your local supplier.

If the govt. website customs calculator is accurate, it would be a little bit cheaper to import. But, I guess the extra I end up paying would be worth it, in case I have some issues with the meter.

Offline nubinstanley

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2021, 02:28:59 pm »
They don't seem to sell the Brymen BM869s in the USA. Anyone know where I should buy one in the USA?

TME has them:

https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/

Plus there's an EEVBLOG discount (if you can find it...  :) )

You can get a 5% discount from Welectron as well. :)

Offline Caliaxy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2021, 03:05:34 pm »
They don't seem to sell the Brymen BM869s in the USA. Anyone know where I should buy one in the USA?

TME has them:

https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/

Plus there's an EEVBLOG discount (if you can find it...  :) )

That's where I got mine from (BM869S seems to be out of stock now, though). I wasn't aware of the eevblog discount, but the price was great anyways (they don't charge VAT to US customers). The shipping was cheap and fast, too.

I highly recommend TME.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:20:50 pm by Caliaxy »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2021, 05:02:47 pm »
I highly recommend TME.
Same here. I bought a few items from them and their service, prices and shipping to US are very good.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2021, 06:42:19 pm »
I highly recommend TME.
Same here. I bought a few items from them and their service, prices and shipping to US are very good.

I dropped them when they would not sell a device to me, it was too expensive ($2000) and obvious they where not satisfied with the usual prepayment (of the full amount). I did ask them for a higher credit limit, but they never bothered answered (At that time I had already bought a couple of items). I found the item at another dealer that did not have any problems selling prepaid stuff.

Offline nubinstanley

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 02:55:01 am »
Hi All

Picked up the 869s yesterday. :D

Thanks for all the help. :)

Offline pcee

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2021, 02:34:42 am »
PS: You need more than one meter. I'd get an AliExpress special as well as a Brymen. It's educational, good for reference, and you need it. :-)

eg. This one (Get the base one, the accessory kit is rubbish. Get some gold probes instead)

Edit: Get gold probes for your Brymen, too. They're only 10 Euros and well worth it.

I'd second that. Two cheaper meters is likely to will be more useful than one expensive one. And the left over money can buy other stuff.

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but why the love for two meters? A meter plus DSO I understand, but the 2 DMMs eludes me.

Also, it looks like the 857s comes with gold-plated leads. Are those different from the gold probes linked above?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2021, 01:27:18 pm »
I’m sure this is a stupid question, but why the love for two meters? A meter plus DSO I understand, but the 2 DMMs eludes me.

Also, it looks like the 857s comes with gold-plated leads. Are those different from the gold probes linked above?
Two meters is usually a good combination as it can give you simultaneous voltage and current measurements - something that can be done with the oscilloscope and a DMM as well (although the scope has much lower resolution than any meter).

Another aspect is to double-check your instrument in case you suspect a reading is wrong due to harmonics, frequency of signal, an uncovered defect, etc. Ideally the recommendation is also done to avoid breaking the bank - i.e., having one very good meter and one average. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2021, 03:05:09 pm »

There's measurements that require 4 DMMs simultaneously.  :)

Offline pcee

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2021, 02:09:21 am »
 :)

Are the gold-tipped probes included with the 857s any worse than the separate ones you linked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf