Author Topic: PINTEK DP-65 question  (Read 1931 times)

Offline taydinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PINTEK DP-65 question
« on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:39 pm »
Hello folks, I am looking into getting a Pintek DP-65 differential probe to do some troubleshooting work on UPS'es. There is one thing about these probes that I wasn't able to find any information about, so I thought I'd ask here :)

The unit has three ranges:

x20, max 130V
x50, max 325V
x200, max 1300V

What I'm not sure about is, if I have the unit at the x20 range and accidentally apply 800V to the input, will it potentially get damaged? or does it have a way of indicating "out of range" condition?

And when in this "out of range" mode, what kind of voltage will it be applying to the scope? Is it going to be the same voltage as if I had applied 130V to the input? Or will it be much higher than this?
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: PINTEK DP-65 question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:38:20 pm »
According to these specifications, the maximum differential voltage is 1300 Vpeak (common mode voltage is 1300 Vpeak, CAT II/III 450 Vrms). Based on that, the probe should survive a differential mode voltage of 800 V without damage, and the output voltage should stay between +/- 7 V. Obviously the waveform will be clipped. Overload recovery will be poor, so do not expect the signal to be correct the millisecond it gets within scale.

Offline taydinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PINTEK DP-65 question
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:16:21 pm »
Thanks for the response. I had missed the line that says maximum output voltage, so this makes sense now. I will be testing this once the unit arrives and post an update here.
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf