Author Topic: Brymen BM869s - Display error message  (Read 10728 times)

Offline psysc0rpi0nTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Brymen BM869s - Display error message
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:55:07 pm »
Hello everyone.

I have this BM869s and today I was taking some measurements, namely resistances and some conductivity tests and all of a sudden I got this "InErr" message on screen and a constant beep. It just stops if I turn it off for a few seconds. However if I try again to turn it on and start taking measurements, the same happens!

I have google for this error message and the multimeter model but nothing significant came up!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Psy

The following users thanked this post: Terry01

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
Re: Brymen BM869s - Display error message
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:03:39 pm »
hi psysc0rpi0n

have you attached any images to this message?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:10:17 pm »
No I haven't.

Should I delete the message?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:13:07 pm »
It will say InErr and beep if you plug a test lead into the mA or A socket while not measuring current. If you are not doing this, maybe there is an accidental short in one of those sockets? You could disassemble the meter and take a look. Any debris fallen in there? Something bent out of alignment?

The following users thanked this post: Faranight

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
No I haven't.

No, I see nothing wrong with your message. I do not understand Jon.C's comment or the picture he posted.

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »
No I haven't.

No, I see nothing wrong with your message. I do not understand Jon.C's comment or the picture he posted.

no is only an antivirus warning when entering this thread   

The following users thanked this post: Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 07:35:52 pm »
It will say InErr and beep if you plug a test lead into the mA or A socket while not measuring current. If you are not doing this, maybe there is an accidental short in one of those sockets? You could disassemble the meter and take a look. Any debris fallen in there? Something bent out of alignment?

I checked from outside, I shaked the multimeter and turned it upside down and saw nothing coming out. Probably I shouldn't disassemble it because it's still in warranty and it will void.

I have it turned off for a while and I tried again the conductivity test and it's not beeping constantly and showing that error. Now it only shows the error and beep while I'm with the probes testing conductivity. When I stop the conductivity testings, the beep stops (as it should) and message also goes away. But it was not like this until now. I never seen this message before.

Might it have anything to do with low battery?

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:23 pm »
https://brymen.eu/wp-content/uploads/biall/102092/102092.INSTRUKCJA_EN..2014-11-04.1.pdf

page 13

Beep-Jack™ Input Warning
The meter beeps as well as displays “InEr” to warn the user against possible damage to
the meter due to improper connections to the A, mA, or A input jacks when other
function (like voltage function) is selected.

page 16

Low Battery: Below approx. 7V

The following users thanked this post: Microdoser

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 07:49:14 pm »
I have it turned off for a while and I tried again the conductivity test and it's not beeping constantly and showing that error. Now it only shows the error and beep while I'm with the probes testing conductivity. When I stop the conductivity testings, the beep stops (as it should) and message also goes away. But it was not like this until now. I never seen this message before.

You should always try to a fresh battery before doing any other checks. Does the meter have a low battery indication on the screen?

Can you clarify exactly what you are measuring? I am not clear from your language what you are doing.

Which position have you turned the dial to? Which sockets have you plugged the test leads into? What mode have you selected with the SELECT button? What are you measuring and how are you conducting the measurement? When exactly does the InErr message start and stop?

If I understand your last message correctly, the problem has gone away now?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 08:10:03 pm »
I have the 867s and it displays this message when that lead is in the wrong jack as others have said. If it's gone away that's great. If not try cycling the lead through all the jacks just in case something has gotten inside one of the jacks.

Hope you get it fixed!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:16 pm »

You should always try to a fresh battery before doing any other checks. Does the meter have a low battery indication on the screen?

Can you clarify exactly what you are measuring? I am not clear from your language what you are doing.

Which position have you turned the dial to? Which sockets have you plugged the test leads into? What mode have you selected with the SELECT button? What are you measuring and how are you conducting the measurement? When exactly does the InErr message start and stop?

If I understand your last message correctly, the problem has gone away now?

I'm sorry for my English.

There is a low battery symbol on the screen. Otherwise I wouldn't know the battery might be low.

I'm measuring conductivity/resistance on a circuit I built on a stripboard to check connections are correct and that I made no mistakes (I'm a noob, in fact this is my first attempt on a stripboard, so I already faced a couple of challenges I was not aware of).

I'm using both Ohm meter and the other one that comes when I press twice the Select button which have a small sound level symbol if you know what I mean. It's the conductivity test mode that is supposed to beep when between both meter probes is a short.

The constant "InError" message and the constant beep were happening when I was doing the conductivity test. When there was a short, the multmeter started beeping (constant beep) and showing the "InErr" message also constantly. I mean the message appeared and stayed there until I turn off the multmeter. So did the beep.

Then I turned off the meter for some seconds (or 1 minute or 2 or so) and in the meantime I started this thread. Then I tried again to do some more resistance/conductivity testing and this time, the message and the beep were only there while I had the probes on the circuit. As soon as I removed any of the probes from the circuit, message and beep stops.

Did I explained better now? Or did I made it even more complicated?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:01 pm »
I'm sorry for the late reply.

I have the probes correctly connected. I can take a picture of it and also make a small video if needed. Gimme some minutes.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
Ok, due to the fact that I only have 2 hands and I'm not experienced, I just tested the multmeter conductivity by touching both probes each other. And behaviour is a bit different now. Multmeter beeps while probes are in touch and after I split them apart, it beeps like 3x or 4x quite fast and stops beeping and message goes away!
Check the video

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 11:07:52 pm »
OK, I understand what you are doing. (By the way, the correct word for this measurement is "continuity".)

I think if there is a low battery symbol the first thing you should do is put a fresh battery in the meter. The meter might be complaining that the battery is too low. Then try your test again.

Also you might wish to remove the plastic caps from the end of the probes. The probes will then be much more convenient to use.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:00:49 am »
Ok, I used the 9V battery from my other multimeter and in fact the problem is over. Anyway, this shouldn't work this way in my opinion.

Anyway, problem solved.

However I have another question. Not sure if I should start a new thread or just change the title of this one. Anyway, I'll ask here.

Anyone knows the purpose of that kind of mount (or whatever that can be called) on top of the back side of the multimeter?

Offline SG-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 11:45:55 am »
For continuity testing the meter has to use an internal power supply, the battery.  If the battery cannot supply the required energy the reading will be in error.  The meter is warning you that it cannot make a correct measurement.

The mount might be for a magnetic hanger ?
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 11:56:27 am »
For continuity testing the meter has to use an internal power supply, the battery.  If the battery cannot supply the required energy the reading will be in error.  The meter is warning you that it cannot make a correct measurement.

I understand that but in that case, manual should be more specific and account for that explanation too. Not only say that that error is due to uA and mA input probelms, imo!

The mount might be for a magnetic hanger ?

Yeah, no idea. I was just curious.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
No I haven't.
It is your profile/avatar photo. NOD32 AV thinks the server it is hosted on is malicious.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »
No I haven't.
It is your profile/avatar photo. NOD32 AV thinks the server it is hosted on is malicious.

Ok, I just uploaded the picture from my own laptop!

Thanks

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 01:50:24 pm »
Anyone knows the purpose of that kind of mount (or whatever that can be called) on top of the back side of the multimeter?

Are you talking about the IR interface?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »

Are you talking about the IR interface?

Yeah, that's it. Nice. Thank you!

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »
Ok, I used the 9V battery from my other multimeter and in fact the problem is over. Anyway, this shouldn't work this way in my opinion.
:-+
I have these meters.  One gets very cheap batteries that I seem to accumulate.   I see this error often with this meter.   There have been cases where I put a brand new battery in and still get the error but checking the voltage with it attached to the meter and it's always really low.  Some of these cheap batteries have been sitting for a few years.    I agree that they should change the low battery indicator limits or at least make a note of it in the manual.   

In the second Brymen I am using a rechargeable lithium ion.  This meter gets used a fair amount and so far, I have not had to swap the battery.  I will switch to these in the other meter once I run out of cheap batteries. 

Offline Dawe

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 06:05:50 am »
Hi guys. I have got the Input Warning issue too.
It started out of the blue one day without apparent reason. I checked PCB and banana sockets and there is no shortage there. But the meter still believes there is another probe inserted in [mA uA] socket.
Any ideas what to try? It makes the meter literally unusable now.

Check out my video showing how the issue behaves:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:23:13 am by Dawe »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 09:57:08 pm »
do they have optical leads detection ??? an ir led ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf