Author Topic: Brymen BM869s - Display error message  (Read 10615 times)

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Brymen BM869s - Display error message
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 04:40:49 am »
do they have optical leads detection ??? an ir led ??

No, split terminals and a couple of megaohms resistor to the sense input.

Offline Dawe

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 07:25:11 pm »
Exactly, only split terminals. And the issue is there even if they are open (res.>10kOhm measured in circuit on PCB).
I guess the root cause may lie not in the terminals but in the MCU sensing mechanism (GPIO or ADC?, no idea). An alternative fw for the meter which would completely disable this warning feature would be perfect.
Is Brymen aware of the issue? Does anyone know a contact at Brymen who could do something about it? Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:30:40 pm by Dawe »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 07:39:52 pm »
And the issue is there even if they are open (res.>10kOhm measured in circuit on PCB).

10kOhm is not open when measured through a couple of megaohms, it is nearly a short.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 10:30:51 pm »
Is Brymen aware of the issue? Does anyone know a contact at Brymen who could do something about it?

You should look up the Brymen customer support contact for the region you are in. If your meter is still under warranty you should be good, but even if it is out of warranty they should be able to give you repair options.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 06:31:12 am »
Did you change the battery like people said ?

Offline ercapoccia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:31 am »
In my experience this error can be caused from umidity or water that goes into the leads socket. I work with commercial washing machines and it happened to me few times on both the BM257S and the BM869S
i opened the meter cleaned the pcb truly with 99%IPA cleaned the socket with ipa and compress air and it fixed the problem.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 07:56:01 am »
Mine does give this error too. Swapping the battery always solves it. I use rechargeable batteries, most times they last a few weeks (I use it every day for my job)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Online MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:47 am »
Ok, I used the 9V battery from my other multimeter and in fact the problem is over. Anyway, this shouldn't work this way in my opinion.

Anyway, problem solved.

However I have another question. Not sure if I should start a new thread or just change the title of this one. Anyway, I'll ask here.

Anyone knows the purpose of that kind of mount (or whatever that can be called) on top of the back side of the multimeter?
Well thats good.

I have 1 too, and AC and Freq readings stopped working, and I thought I damaged it by overloading the mVDC or mVAC mode. But it just drains the battery. I took it completely apart, and started mapping out the circuit (I'll finish it some day) . But it was just the low battery. And when I powered it off the PSU, I somehow missed it was working, because I had a hard time with the dial, when it was apart, and sometimes w/o the display, upper PCB/etc.

There's also a trick to starting it when it's in pieces, related to the sleep mode, and where the dail was or is or something.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:32:17 am by MathWizard »

Offline Dawe

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 02:47:27 pm »
In my case using a new battery didn't help (that was the 1st thing I tried). Powering up by a lab PSU did not help neither. At the beginning I also believed it is due to humidity or pollution of some sort inside sockets or PCB. So I cleaned up all banana plugs and both PCBs with IPA using 10bar compressed air with no help. Later I also used a gun cleaning set and cleaned the internal of the sockets mechanically with brass and nylon brushes. Didn't help. The issue persists over months even after all the cleaning I did so I don't believe in humidity or pollution root cause any more. When I measured all sense contacts (if I remember well there are three at both current sockets and voltage socket) all of them showed similar resistance to the measuring contact. Honestly I dont remember the exact value (it has been a while) it may have been 20kOhm or 60kOhm or more not really sure - but was "way above" true short and  "the same" value didn't seem suspicious as the issue appears to be triggered only at [mA,uA] socket... that's why I believe problem is rather in MCU.
I'm screwed because my meter is about 5 years old, out of warranty and now basically useless. I quite like it so will try to ask Brymen custmer support, but I  wanted to know if someone has started to talk to Brymen about the topic already. It seems not to be the case.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:01:30 pm by Dawe »

Offline ercapoccia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 03:15:23 pm »
Did you try to clean the whole pcb and the range switch? You need just few cue tips and some ipa. You could also check the solder joins of the of the socket for the probes.

The following users thanked this post: mrlicho

Offline Dawe

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 01:46:35 am »
ercapoccia> The PCB solder joints to banana sockets look all fine, I will try to find some pictures I may have done. Also I did clean whole PCB surface including the selector pads. Couldn't do more here.
btw> For all keen on cleaning it: after the two PCBs separation first of all note down position of the selector contacts in the knob. Contacts are not fixed in place and without knowing their original position you will have problem putting it back together because there are many possible variants.  :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:55:31 am by Dawe »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 11:29:07 pm »
do they have optical leads detection ??? an ir led ??
No, I think that there is no optical detection.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline mrlicho

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2021, 03:21:37 pm »
In my experience this error can be caused from umidity or water that goes into the leads socket. I work with commercial washing machines and it happened to me few times on both the BM257S and the BM869S
i opened the meter cleaned the pcb truly with 99%IPA cleaned the socket with ipa and compress air and it fixed the problem.

Dude that solved my problem! I have a BM817 at my job and couldn't make it work until I read your comment. I registered the forum to say  thanks!

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 03:42:20 pm »
I have this BM869s and today I was taking some measurements, namely resistances and some conductivity tests and all of a sudden I got this "InErr" message on screen and a constant beep. It just stops if I turn it off for a few seconds. However if I try again to turn it on and start taking measurements, the same happens!

I have google for this error message and the multimeter model but nothing significant came up!

Any suggestions?

This happens when battery voltage is too low. It show Err message when DMM cannot keep precise measurement due to low battery voltage.

I'm using Li-Ion battery and got such InErr message with beeping when battery is dischaged. Sometimes just after these beeps with InErr message it just power off, because battery protection cutoff output to protect battery from overdischarge. I just charge it from li-ion charger and put back into DMM and it works again.

Try to replace battery with a fresh one.

Also I got this InErr beeping after cleaning banana connectors with 96% ethanol. It beeps for 10-20 seconds until the alcohol evaporates. Check that you have no dirt or liquids in the connectors.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:52:39 pm by radiolistener »

Offline Lomax

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 12:00:35 pm »
This confused me as well; suddenly my Brymen BM257s would show "InErr" and beep no matter what setting or how the leads are plugged in (or not). Bizarre that this can be caused by low battery - would make a lot more sense if the display read "bot" or "8At". I suspect the reason for it happening is that the lead sense method stops working when battery voltage gets too low. But it should still be possible to detect the low battery condition and let that take priority. I'm not that keen on the input lead detection anyway, wouldn't mind losing that functionality! FWIW I use a lithium primary battery and haven't needed to replace it since I bought the meter some five years ago - and it's seen a lot of use in that time! Not that surprised it's finally running out of juice  ;D

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 12:22:53 pm »
I'm not that keen on the input lead detection anyway, wouldn't mind losing that functionality!

Have you seen this page? https://brymen.eu/shop/fuse-0-44a-1000v-10x38-mm/

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Offline Lomax

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »
Have you seen this page?

Crikey. Still, I cannot recall ever having blown a fuse in a meter. That's not to say I haven't done a lot of other stupid things...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 06:23:59 pm »
Have you seen this page?

Crikey. Still, I cannot recall ever having blown a fuse in a meter. That's not to say I haven't done a lot of other stupid things...

I think I've blown two in my life. Once on a 5V supply and once on AA batteries. Both times it was measuring volts right after measuring mA and forgetting to swap the leads. They were only cheapo/Aneng fuses though so no biggie (apart from waiting for the bag of Aneng fuses to arrive from China).

Most of my meters with expensive fuses have input jack alert so hopefully it won't ever happen there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf