Products > Test Equipment

Brymen Crest and Min/Max Function VDC Capability

(1/12) > >>

splat2030:
Hello All,

I have been looking to purchase a multimeter for automotive/general usage, but I would like something with a very good min/max function that is capable of measuring the instantaneous max. voltage drop at my 12VDC car battery when under the load of cranking the starter. The overall application of the meter is personal use, so unfortunately the higher end meters like the Fluke in the video below are out of the budget. The Brymen BM-829s has caught my interest because the manual states that their crest function is capable of a 1ms (1000X/s) sampling rate, and the normal min/max function is capable of a 50ms (20X/s) sampling rate. This meter has signifiantly better specs than other similar meters I have looked at such as the UNI-T UT161D, which has a min/max function with a sampling rate of only 333-500ms (2-3X/s). Does the Brymen 1ms crest function work with DC voltage, and would it be fast enough to capture the max. voltage drop in this application? Does anyone have any real world experience using either the Bryman crest or min/max in this application that can provide any further input as to its suitability?

Below is a link to a video showing this starting system/battery test:

unknownparticle:
How about Dave's 121GW, that has bluetooth data logging, so you can be remote from the meter and view on your phone.

splat2030:
I did peruse the manual for the 121GW, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for my application because it states that the 1ms peak button is only for AC voltage. It also does not list a specific sampling rate for the min/max function, so I assume that it defaults to the 5X/s update rate listed in the general specifications. The Brymen BM-829s manual does not state whether the 1ms crest function works for DC voltage, but even if it doesn't it would appear that the min/max function is on the order of 4X as fast than the 121GW if it functions per spec. under real world conditions.

joeqsmith:
Depending what you are trying to measure, maybe you could just make a simple peak detector probe.   

unknownparticle:
I admit to only skimming the text in your post, so excuse me for that.
So, there maybe a better solution than a DMM. I have a battery analyser which can test the battery and charging system of a vehicle and record data in real time and hold it for examination.  Mine is a Konnwei KW600, which I think has been superseded by the KW650.  Check it out on Amazon, and the manual is available as PDF from the manufacturer.  I haven't gone through it in detail but it may suit your purposes, at a low price. Mine has worked very well and has predicted a failing battery a couple of times. First time I sort of took the result of the test with a pinch of salt, that battery then failed suddenly 2 months later!  Second time, on another vehicle, I changed it before that happened!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version