Author Topic: Brymen IR connection protocol - Anyone sniffed it yet?  (Read 66258 times)

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen IR connection protocol - Anyone sniffed it yet?
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2016, 05:28:32 pm »
The new "Lockstep" Digital MultiMeter interface pcb boards arrived, today. The fit into the bracket on the DMM remains good and is consistent. Break-off tabs were placed on the curved locking surfaces, again. You may recall that OSH Park could not offer a good solution for that.

The corrected hole positions for the infrared components seems to have improved alignment with the DMM's infrared components; the alignment appears to be perfect. This allows proceeding to the next step, soldering up a working prototype. That's exciting...

I have thought of a method to prevent the potting material from seeping under the IR components. The convex lens of the IR components will be seated in Viton o-rings and mated to the PCB board. The hole in the o-ring will facilitate light communications. Green, Viton o-rings are heat and chemical resistant, which aids the use of various potting agents.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2016, 01:00:12 am »
I have discovered a couple of more things, this afternoon...
- I have learned how to prevent the solder mask from being printed on the curved tabs that mate to the bracket. This means that this paint will no longer need to be removed by sanding, etc... See jpeg
- I am having difficulty finding an o-ring that will work to seal under the IR component lenses. The problem is that the o-rings are too thick... The thickness covers the IR component pads... I will have to devise another method.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 01:38:53 am »
Hmm... Seems my last reply did not post?

I finished assembling a Lockstep prototype board. This is a fully functional prototype, not just a mock up model. I am well satisfied with the soldering. I will not pot the components, in case the resistors need to be changed to different values.

I want to test the Lockstep, so I will build a go-no-go circuit on a breadboard. I want to power it with 5 volts, as this is what the PIC18F4550 uses. The phototransistor will drive a common LED as an indicator light. The circuit only has a few parts... A power source, a LED and its resistor, and the Lockstep, of course... That's it...

I have ordered the most recent revision of the Lockstep board, mostly just for fun, but I also want to see how the "paint" stop works for the curved locking surfaces. The boards that I have on hand are perfectly usable for prototyping.

@ Jadew - Did you use the QED123 and the QSD124? If not, please tell us what you did use. I reread the whole thread, but I didn't see this information. And, for whatever you are using, please tell us about how you are supplying the needed voltage and amps. Thanks, yet again!

Offline JackM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »
Nice progress t1d! I would be interested in getting one of these boards for my own Brymen BM867s if you do find that they work as intended.

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2016, 10:59:53 pm »
@ Jadew - Did you use the QED123 and the QSD124? If not, please tell us what you did use. I reread the whole thread, but I didn't see this information. And, for whatever you are using, please tell us about how you are supplying the needed voltage and amps. Thanks, yet again!

Just some generic IR diodes I found in my parts bin. I think I bought them a long time ago from dx.com or buyincoins.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 02:06:49 am »
I have done some testing of the IR componentry, tonight, and I am not getting the results that I expected.

Here is some background:

I had Jadew explain his IR circuitry to me. Here is his explanation: "Hey Tom, PD6 in that schematic (the RX input) is set to high impedance, so the MCU doesn't have much influence on what happens there. Now, the RX diode is tied to VCC and connected through R4 to ground, that means that the point between the diode and the R4 (on the PD6 input) will be at ground potential when no light shines on the diode, because the LED won't conduct, but the resistor will and it will pull the line to ground. When you shine light on it, it becomes conductive and the diode will try to pull the line to VCC - 0.6V. In order to do that, it has to be able to pull the line harder to VCC than the resistor is pulling it to ground. This means that the resistor has to be high enough to allow the diode to do that easily, but also low enough to be able to quickly pull the line back down when light goes off.

I selected it by trial and error. Basically I put my oscilloscope on the PD6 input and changed resistors to see how the waveform changes. If the resistor was too low (it was pulling harder to ground) then the signal was having trouble getting to a high level, if the resistor was too high, then it was having trouble getting to a low level.

I think what this means is that 330 seems to be the right value for the diode I used, but it may very well worked for what you have too.

For the TX LED, it's about the same, but you have to make sure you don't feed more current to the LED than it can take. Ideally, you want it to be as bright as possible. In my case I fed it more than its rated current (5V / 150 Ohms = .033 mA), but that's up to you. Try with a 330 Ohm resistor first and see how it goes, if it works, then there's no reason to make it lower. Also, check the datasheet of the MCU and see how much current you can source from an I/O."

I have laid out a circuit on my breadboard. See jpeg.
- R6 and the IR-LED are Jadew's transmit circuitry. I powered it directly from my 5v supply. Jadew drives it off of the chip pin. It makes no difference to the IR-LED from where it gets it supply, so long as it does get proper power.
- R5 and the PT are Jadew's receive circuitry. See above, for his description of how the circuit works. The PT is grounded through a 330R resistor. It also feeds the Rx pin on the Controller. I approximate the chip with the resistor/LED indicator light, shown in the gold box. These resistors were random breadboarding parts, with values adding up to more than 200R and less than 1000R.
- I am using the QED123 and QSD124 IR components. I don't think these are the parts that Jadew used.

My breadboard circuit is intended to switch the indicator LED on and off, by covering the PT. However, this is not the response that I get; the LED illuminates with the PT uncovered, or covered.

I will need to back up a step and test the IR components, individually, for functionality. Also, I am not feeling well, tonight, therefore I could have easily missed an obvious circuitry problem, particularly balancing the resistor values (that's above my pay grade,) or wired things incorrectly on the breadboard. Anyway, this is what I have been playing with...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:30:49 am by t1d »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:03 am »
Here is a little math, for the voltage divider created by Jadew's 330R resistor and my 500R resistor array:

Indicator LED Voltage
En = Et * (Rn/Rt)
En = 5v * (500R/830R)
En = 5 * (0.6)
En = 3v
So, the indicator LED is seeing approximately 3 volts. This is a descent voltage for it... And, purely a happy accident!

PT Voltage
En = Et * (Rn/Rt)
En = 5v * (330R/830R)
En = 5 * (0.4)
En = 2v
This is below the maximum 5v rating.

However, I think I have the IR LED/QED123 circuit wired in parallel to the above. So, those numbers need to be considered, but not tonight... Also, the resistances of the IR LED and the PT might should be included...

Any insight into what I have wired incorrectly is appreciated.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »
Nice progress t1d! I would be interested in getting one of these boards for my own Brymen BM867s if you do find that they work as intended.
Jack, I have sent you a private message.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2016, 05:43:47 pm »
I have been thinking on how to create the box to pot the Lockstep components. The method I mentioned, earlier, will work just fine, but I wanted to make it better. So, here are my thoughts... See jpeg.

Find a bottle cap that is just smaller than the width of the Lockstep Board. You want the curved locking edges of the board to be outside the diameter of the cap. I am using a cap from a 90 day supply Nexium bottle. Drill a hole in the center of the cap that snugly accommodates the board's wire.

Solder up the Lockstep, with its wire and components. Pass the wire through the hole in the cap and seat the components (upside down) inside the cap. Seal the hole, around the wire. Pour in potting fluid. You need to fill the cap with potting fluid, until the fluid is sitting proud of the top of the cap... Bulging above the top of the cap, but not running over. This will make sure that the potting fluid is making contact with the Lockstep board and completely covering the components. Once cured, solder the wire to the controller.

This method has several advantages:
- The cap creates a proper knob shape that will be easy to twist to lock the board to the DMM.
- The cap creates a ready-made "box," in which to pot the components.
- Potting with the components pointing downward into the cap/box means that the potting fluid will not seep through the IR component lens holes so easily. But I still recommend sealing the holes, best as you can... Maybe a little toilet paper and white glue?

Things to note:
- Put a weight on the Lockstep board to hold the components down in the cap, before filling it with potting fluid.
- An old coiled cord from a phone handset makes a nice, stretchy wire. It has the needed four conductor wires. However, it does not have a ground shield.

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »
Ok plan B,

I have not turned the original idea so I did everything from scratch.
I made a cable to the microcontroller and wrote a program
(Temporarily not possible to build charts but the program itself is quite functional)
On further development, I will write here.

In the help tab of software is a description how to make your cable.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4swxm0kkngq294/brymen%20rs.exe?dl=0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:23:48 pm by Sairus »

Offline JackM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2016, 06:57:12 pm »
I have not turned the original idea so I did everything from scratch.
I made a cable to the microcontroller and wrote a program
(Temporarily not possible to build charts but the program itself is quite functional)
On further development, I will write here.

In the help tab of software is a description how to make your cable.

Wow, that looks great! Such a simple circuit design too. The software looks actually quite good, I like the interface. Thank you for taking the time to write the documentation on the software and circuit.
I did get a few unhandled exceptions while I was playing around with the software (never actually had a DMM connected), but otherwise looks good.

I assume that you made the PCB yourself using acid etching?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:10:38 pm by JackM »

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2016, 07:41:50 pm »
Wow, that looks great! Such a simple circuit design too. The software looks actually quite good, I like the interface. Thank you for taking the time to write the documentation on the software and circuit.
I apologize for my clumsy English in PDF.I have tried to write all the necessary information to create your own cable,repeat my design is not necessary.Initially, I did everything for myself but then I thought that if I share software that i can really save time for others people.
I did get a few unhandled exceptions while I was playing around with the software (never actually had a DMM connected), but otherwise looks good.
I found bug fix it. this is a beta version and sometimes shit happens ))) but it usually happens when you open port / closed port during operation, it seems stable.
I assume that you made the PCB yourself using acid etching?
photoresist + FeCl3 (initially I cut a suitable piece of board then drilled holes and then made a placement of elements.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:25:07 pm by Sairus »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2016, 01:09:43 pm »
Wow, Sairus, that is really great work! Nice Job! :clap:
1) I downloaded your GUI and it launched just fine. I have not tried connecting my DMM, because I am still working on my interface cable.
2) As I am familiar with PICs and have the 12F683 on hand, I will be using your design. I will be setting up your circuit on an Eagle PCB Board (like I did with Jadew's design,) for myself. Now that I have the board sized correctly, it is very easy to put different circuits onto it. It is very cheap and easy to have board's professionally made, once the Eagle files have been developed.

I have been notified by OSH Park that my final revision of Jadew's board has been mailed to me. They should arrive no later than Monday, I would think. I will assemble one, verify everything and, then, post those Eagle Files. I will do the same thing for Sairus's design, in the future.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:30:12 am by t1d »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2016, 03:53:12 am »
- Attached is Sairus's schematic as a jpeg, for ease of use.
- As Sairus's PIC12F683 controller requires an USB interface and my PIC18F4550 controller platform already has the USB interface, I will stay with using my controller platform. However, I will be continuing to make the Eagle files for Sairus's beautiful little circuit.
@ Sairus
- May I have a Bill of Materials for your circuit, please? It would really help me to select the proper footprints for the components that you use in you design. Or, just give me the sizes of the passive components...       
- May we please have your source code for both the PIC12F683 (this would really help me configure the PIC18F4550, for this application) and your GUI?
- Would someone please review my IR test Circuit at Post #105 and tell me if there are any errors? If it is easier to just propose a complete test circuit of your own design, that would be fine... I just need an easy way to test in-circuit IR component functionality, without having to complete the firmware coding.
Thanks for the help...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:09:27 am by t1d »

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »
As Sairus's PIC12F683 controller requires an USB interface and ...
actually not,my software work with serial port so it not necessary use usb (uart usb adapter).You can use max232 and connect device straight to RS232,or use bluetooth module and make wireless connection. Potentially you can use esp8266 to use wifi connection.

- May I have a Bill of Materials for your circuit, please? It would really help me to select the proper footprints for the components that you use in you design. Or, just give me the sizes of the passive components...
I use what i found in my mini stock /R1 R2 C2 smd 1206/ u1 pic12f683 soic8/C1 just tantalum capacitor/  in my design not so many components so thruhole components fine too :-//

- May we please have your source code for both the PIC12F683 (this would really help me configure the PIC18F4550, for this application) and your GUI?
GUI is not finished I work at graphs part,for now i prefer not share source code is need some tweaks. For PIC i use microC PRO for PIC i not sure that you can use my code but i have PIC18F4550 so i can make hex file for you.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2016, 03:17:35 am »
actually not,my software work with serial port so it not necessary use usb (uart usb adapter).You can use max232 and connect device straight to RS232,or use bluetooth module and make wireless connection. Potentially you can use esp8266 to use wifi connection.
Hmm... I thought that the PL2303 was for USB? What does it do?

I use what i found in my mini stock /R1 R2 C2 smd 1206/ u1 pic12f683 soic8/C1 just tantalum capacitor/
Okay, that's enough information to rough in the PCB layout. I have already started working on it. Might this be the first real SMD project that I cook in my DIY Reflow Oven? I hope so!

in my design not so many components so thruhole components fine too :-//
Well, yes TH components can be used, but only by bending feet on their pins and soldering to SMD pads... This is the way Jadew's board works. The pins may not pass through the board... They would scratch the DMM lens...

GUI is not finished I work at graphs part,for now i prefer not share source code is need some tweaks.
Well, that is perfectly understandable...

For PIC i use microC PRO for PIC i not sure that you can use my code
Even though someone else might be using a different compiler, it is pretty easy to see what is going on, from the code. I could learn a lot from it, as I am still learning to code in C.

but i have PIC18F4550 so i can make hex file for you.
Wow! Thanks for this wonderful help! You made my day! I look forward to receiving it!

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2016, 03:40:48 am »
The final version of the Jadew's Tiny2313 LOCKSTEP PCB arrived, today... Yeah, they're gorgeous :clap: It is too late, tonight, to bundle up the files, but I will be posting:
- The Eagle board file... I did not make a schematic, as it is in Jadew's design information.
- I will make a pdf file for those people that want to etch their own board.

NOTE: I have not verified the circuit completely through a working model... I am still trying to create a test circuit that will see the IR and notify me that it saw the light. But, I can't imagine there are any problems.

I am making these particular three boards available to anyone that wouldn't mind helping me defray the development costs of Jadew's project, say $5.50/shipped/USA and $7.50/shipped/International. There may be some other functional parts and pieces; I'll have to see what pops up... (There is likely to be a completely finished, potted unit...) I will not be making a profit, at that, but that is not the point... I live on a fixed income, and any costs I recover can be put into the next project :-+ Send me a private message, if you are interested...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:19:58 am by t1d »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
Jadew's Tiny2313 LOCKSTEP Interface Board Files
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2016, 04:25:02 pm »
As promised:
- Eagle Board File
- PDFs, copper and silkscreen, front and mirrored
File is zipped, because website does not accept, natively, Eagle files...

Sairus's board is next! :popcorn:

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2016, 12:32:18 am »
I have verified that my prototype of Jadew's LOCKSTEP does transmit and receive infrared light. I did not attach it to a controller, I just  banged together a breadboard test circuit and verified changes in voltage, on my DMM.

The next step, with this prototype board, is to try the potting method that I mentioned previously. Progress, to that end, includes finding a method to seal the IR components to the board, to prevent epoxy from getting into their holes, in the board.

I tried working hot glue around the "bulbs" with a toothpick. This made an awful mess. Next, I drew up some white, wood glue, into a printer ink refill syringe and used its needle to place the glue. This worked very well.

I used Elmer's "Max" wood glue. This has a little bit of wood dust already mixed in with the glue. The wood dust prevented the glue from running under the bulbs and filling the holes. Excellent.

Tomorrow, I hope to try potting it. I'm too tired to try tonight... Sairus's board will have to wait, too...

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2016, 01:15:11 am »
Sairus, I would think that I would use the same value of resistors on my IR LED (330R) and Phototransistor (200K), for my PIC18F4550 controller, as what you are using for your PIC12F683 controller, correct? Please teach me the math that is used to determine these values. Thanks for your help...

EDIT: Wait a minute... Isn't this just using Ohm's Law to get the resistor value needed to adjust to the forward amperage required to run the IR device? Same as with a common LED?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:34:43 am by t1d »

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:05 am »
how to choose resistor for LED.
1) Check the voltage drop on led (Vd)
2) Find out what will be the operating voltage (Vs)
3) Decide how much we need current (it is selected on the power supply capacity, or the maximum output current of IC pin,and LED Imax) I

R=(Vs-Vd)/I

remarks
If the calculated resistance value non-standard should be taken nearest appropriate. (After you select you should recalculate current)
When LED work or heating it voltage drop decreases slightly sometimes it is necessary to take into account.

In my design, I take current value approximately equal to half of the maximum as LED is located very close to the photodetector, and no need for high brightness (less current will increase reliability).

In case of phototransistor is also possible to perform calculations on the basis of the manual but I do not know what model I have and what it features and is unknown to me consecrated created by DMM LED. So I just found right in experimental way.

I made HEX for you (speed 9600 standart settings) i test it with my software it work OK.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyisyfoqxdlw4gz/bu%2086%20uart.hex?dl=0
circuit in attachments
value of R3 must be chosen experimentally

To do this, run the COM Port terminal and view the data packets
end of package must always be the same is indicator of a well-functioning cable

01 11 be a1 fe fc 7c 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe fc e4 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe fc da 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe fc a0 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe fe fc 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe a8 be 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe 7e fc 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe 7e fe 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe e4 a8 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe e4 7e 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80 
01 11 be a1 fe e4 7c 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80

possible terminal will display data like this

fc a0 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe fe fc 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe a8 be 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe 7e fc 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe 7e fe 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe e4 a8 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe e4 7e 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80  01 11 be a1 fe e4 7c 01 00 be bf be be 04 00 86 86 86 86 80

so it can be difficult to understand if everything is okay
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:40:35 am by Sairus »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2016, 03:15:42 pm »
how to choose resistor for LED.
1) Check the voltage drop on led (Vd)
2) Find out what will be the operating voltage (Vs)
3) Decide how much we need current (it is selected on the power supply capacity, or the maximum output current of IC pin,and LED Imax) I

R=(Vs-Vd)/I
Thank you for this! It really helped to correct my thinking. I get lost in the math, sometimes...

I made HEX for you
Fantastic! Thank you for all your hard work!!!

You may recall from my prior posts that my controller is a fully developed platform. (I apologize, if this was not clear.) My brother writes the software for us. He has already coded all the chip configurations and coded various functions, including USB communications. So, I will not be using the USB converter.

He has also written code to read various analog and digital signals. So, he would probably just needs to see the portion of your C code that is transmitting and reading the data, to compare it to the way he might write that portion of the code and to make sure it would work with his existing code. If you wouldn't mind, may we please have that portion of the C code? Even though it is written for a different compiler, he probably can figure it out, particularly if you have made comments. (We are using MPLAB X IDE. He does not like it and we will be changing to something else, in the near future...)

Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity! You make the internet a wonderful world-wide community!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:24:13 pm by t1d »

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »
@ Sairus - I noticed on Ebay that there are ready-made USB cables that have on-board UART converters. They are very inexpensive. Would specifying the use of that type of cable remove the need for the PL2313 to be on the board, thereby making your board a little more universal to use, for people that are using PICs that have USB capability?

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2016, 07:13:09 pm »
@ Sairus - I noticed on Ebay that there are ready-made USB cables that have on-board UART converters. They are very inexpensive. Would specifying the use of that type of cable remove the need for the PL2313 to be on the board, thereby making your board a little more universal to use, for people that are using PICs that have USB capability?

if you read the instructions carefully you will see that I am using ready solution that you find on ebay.

In addition
PL2313 usb uart 1.1$
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-10PCS-LOT-PL2303-PL2303HX-USB-to-UART-TTL-Cable-module-4p-4-pin-RS232/32246850839.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.225.YAGSFd&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_1_10037_10017_405_507_10033_10032,searchweb201603_11&btsid=bc2e7bb7-9fbc-41fb-b088-b1af303c4acc
Simple PIC12F683 1.38$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-PIC12F683-I-P-PIC12F683-DIP8-MICROCHIP-IC-MCU-FLASH-2KX14-20MHz-2V-5V-/281783031814?hash=item419b93d806:g:Iz8AAOSwY45UNRN-

they two cost less than one micro with USB on board.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:25 pm »
Ah, saving money... Excellent idea...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf