Author Topic: Siglent 1104X-E Acquiring Takes Forever  (Read 1563 times)

Offline JayMan07Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent 1104X-E Acquiring Takes Forever
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »
First of all I'm pretty amateur when it comes to scopes.  All my previous experience has been with a computer based pico scope.

Recently I bought a Siglent 1104X-E and at longer times bases it seems to bog down a lot and say "Acquiring" and it takes forever to see the waveform...see the pic.

When I was looking at a slow waveform on the picoscope I'd increase the time base in order to see it and then I'd lower the sample rate way down and it'd run just fine.

What am I missing here? :palm:

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent 1104X-E Acquiring Takes Forever
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 06:41:31 pm »
Hi,

What means "forever" ?
It´s frozen ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:50:10 pm »
Well once I turn up the time base to over 200ms it says "acquiring" over and over then finally after like 10-15 seconds I'll see something on the screen but it's not in real time.  Does that make sense?

For example, I was looking at a rotary encoder and needed a long time base to see the signal.  I turn the knob of the rotary encoder.  The scope says "acquiring" then like 10-15 seconds later I finally see the square wave (see pic below).  Also I doubt this matters but I am running the latest firmware on the scope.  Why am I bogging down the scope so much.  I think it auto adjusts sample size.  What am I doing that is so demanding on the scope.  All I'm trying to do is look at a relatively slow square wave.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:52:44 pm by JayMan07 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:15:42 pm »
Roll mode of which there are 2 types, Auto and dedicated.
At slow timebase setting the Roll button allows you to switch between each type.

Take the time to try both and know how they each work.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: JayMan07

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:46 pm »
tautech thank you!!! I was going crazy lol.  A pico scope is literally always in roll mode so I didn't realize that I needed to manually set the siglent to that to see longer waveforms.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »
tautech thank you!!! I was going crazy lol.  A pico scope is literally always in roll mode so I didn't realize that I needed to manually set the siglent to that to see longer waveforms.
'It' can see the waveforms in either Roll mode, they just work differently.

In Auto mode a full screen width of data relative to the timebase setting is acquired before anything is sent from the buffer to the display. A little math on timebase setting * 14 div will give you the time before the full capture is displayed and then the display is continually updated at that 'time'/div rate.

Each has their advantages depending on what you need to do. The only thing to spirit away into gray matter is Roll mode starts at 50ms/div and slower timebase settings.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »
Wow that makes a lot of sense to me now...and just tried the roll mode and it is working perfect.  Thanks again!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf