Author Topic: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around  (Read 145765 times)

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around
« Reply #500 on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:16 am »
How's the smell?

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #501 on: July 02, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »
How's the smell?
Considerably less of an odor on the replacement, although as others have pointed out, after some days/weeks in the open, the smell largely dissipates.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #502 on: July 02, 2017, 05:40:15 pm »
Just wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol to eliminate the smell.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2017, 12:02:01 am »
For information, I have a MY50******  U1253B, ie 7yr old, which is my first grab dmm even on the bench, gets about 1-2hrs of on time per week. I switch off between readings. Stored in a cool place (14-26C range).

No oled fading of note.

Poor readability in daylight but fantastic inside.
Bought a NOS U1252b - no problems either.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline Prime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2017, 08:01:01 am »
The seller lists 3 different models, do they all come with bags and probes? 

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2017, 11:39:32 am »
The last two pages of this thread cover that extensively.

Offline Prime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2017, 12:02:07 pm »
The last two pages of this thread cover that extensively.

You mean here, page 17?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bunch-of-keysight-u1252b-meters-around/400/

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #507 on: July 08, 2017, 07:14:55 pm »
Probes, yes.
Bags, no.

Offline Prime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2017, 10:54:53 pm »
Ordered one, no feedback from the seller though. How long does he normally take to dispatch?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:57 pm »
Within a few days. He seems to ship once or twice a week.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2017, 08:31:09 am »
The probe set this meter comes with is a bit... umm... odd.  It comes with:
  • Test leads (2)
  • 4mm tip probes (2)
  • Alligator clips (2)
  • Fine tip probes (2)
  • SMT grabbers (2)
  • Mini-grabber (1)

I'm wondering if your meter was packed with the wrong probe kit or if it was opened and missing pieces.

I just received my meter from nmori, 2010 cal date, and it came with the U1168A probe kit that includes both 4mm and 19mm probe tips:
http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1639316-pn-U1168A/standard-test-lead-kit-with-19-mm-and-4-mm-probe-tips?cc=US&lc=eng

First, it only comes with one black mini-grabber instead of a red/black pair.

Yes, that appears to be normal with this kit.  It's an L shaped rather than a U shaped hook on the grabber, so it won't grip incredibly securely.  On the other hand, it's ideal for clipping your ground lead onto the edge of sheet metal.

In my kit, everything fits fine over the included 19mm probe tips. 

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:39 am »
Is there any possibility to convince the seller to send one of his meters to non-listing country?  He don't decline that possibility, but seems to be not interested in that. A couple of days and still don't even define the shipping rate.

I just received my meter from nmori, 2010 cal date
What model exactly do you bought? Could you please check the firmware version?

Looks like reported year of cal date constantly decreasing through time.
The first meters on the thread have calibration on 2015 or so.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:43:34 pm by WhichEnt2 »
Short pieces, high value, small period, huge amount, long delay.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2017, 04:36:09 pm »
U1252A, V0.91 with 7.01.09 at the top.

It also had the moldy case issue, but I sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol last night and it appears fine this morning.

The following users thanked this post: WhichEnt2

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2017, 05:04:04 pm »
U1252A, V0.91 with 7.01.09 at the top.

It also had the moldy case issue, but I sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol last night and it appears fine this morning.
Much thanks.

Is there any last batch u1252b owners? It would be nice to observe the current situation about cal dates and firmware versions of it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:06:29 pm by WhichEnt2 »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:36 pm »

First, it only comes with one black mini-grabber instead of a red/black pair.

Yes, that appears to be normal with this kit.  It's an L shaped rather than a U shaped hook on the grabber, so it won't grip incredibly securely.  On the other hand, it's ideal for clipping your ground lead onto the edge of sheet metal.

In my kit, everything fits fine over the included 19mm probe tips.

Neither of mine came with any minigrabber :(   Both came with lead cables, normal probe tips, alligator clips.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: July 30, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »
I bought my U1252B years before the NOS models that have shown up on eBay, but I don't regret the purchase. I did get a $100 rebate though, which I spent on additional accessories (so it was like buying the meter and getting a bunch of free stuff to sweeten the pot).  :P

FWIW, it was factory calibrated on 11 May 2011, and I purchased it that year (thought it was back in 2009  :-[  :palm:).

As per accessories, it only came with a basic lead set (silicone test leads + 19mm & 4mm probes).
I also purchased the following:

The following users thanked this post: WhichEnt2

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #516 on: July 30, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
That's normal for the B model.

The 1252A's that are up for sale had a free case and probe set upgrade option.  The B's did not.

I purchased a brand new U1252B from Keysight last year and it appears to be the same thing as the Agilent branded version.  It does not come with a case or with grabbers, and the part number for the basic probe set appears to be U1251-62100 (no 1 at the end).

I've seen two part numbers for the A model probe set:  U1251-62101 and U1168-62101.  Looking closely at colorado.rob's picture and nmori's eBay picture for the U1252A, they both show the U1251-62101 probe kit without the 19mm tips.

Now right on the side of the box, it says that the U1252A includes 4mm and 19mm tips.  I feel like this might have been a big screwup at Agilent when packing these kits.  My kit came with the U1168-62101 probe kit which has the 19mm tips.  I think either Agilent forgot to put the 19mm tips into a batch of U1251-62101 probe kits or somehow they've vanished from nmori's stock.

I considered the possibility that this was just a clip on accessory pack for 19mm tips but then why would it include the probe leads?  I think it makes more sense that it was supposed to include the 19mm tips, like my kit, and perhaps somebody on the line didn't realize that there's a difference between the two tips and thought she was only supposed to pack 1 set of tips instead of 2.

The Keysight rep, if he's still trolling this forum, should investigate this issue with the Malaysia team and offer to trade up the sets missing 19mm tips with a new U1168A probe kit.  Sure these are old stock of an EOL product from before the Keysight split, but the same people behind this product are with Keysight and in my opinion they should endeavor to understand this order fulfillment mistake and make good on their product.

Also I'm not so sure that the mold issue is a result of how these meters were stored.  The boxes, calibration certificates, and everything else appears to show no signs of moisture or mold.  It's also strange that whatever is on the carry case did not transfer to its surroundings.  Maybe it's not really mold?  In any case, I think it's an issue with the material that the case manufacturer used, as they all seem to be contaminated to some extent.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
It's mold. Doesn't take away from it being a good deal tho. Simple exposure to warehouse humidity and cleans easily enough. Would have been reasonable for Keysight to make good on fulfillment back when they were actually selling these units, but these are from a third party seller so don't think they owe anybody anything.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2017, 02:55:31 am »
Well I don't have enough experience with mold to to know one way or another, but it just brushes off and wipes away with a little alcohol far easier than any any kind of mold or mildew I've ever dealt with before.  If it is mold then that's a plus because it is extremely easy to deal with.

Warehouse humidity is a hypothesis but I think it's notable than nothing else inside or outside of the box was affected.  There's no way mold came in from the outside world -- the spores would have had to be on the bag material when it was packaged up and it's more like prolonged lack of exposure allowed them to not die rather than an ideal environment allowed them to thrive.

When you talk about moldy product from humid storage, I expect to find surface rust on metal parts, discolored and deformed cardboard packaging, crumpled and water-stained paper, etc.  At least in the case of my meter, you would never get the impression from the packaging that it spent any time at all in humid storage.  After reading this thread, I was expecting far worse...

I find it difficult to believe that a third party seller would rummage through several of the probe kits to go after the 19mm tips, yet leave the leads and all the 19mm accessories behind.  It's far more likely that it left the factory that way, which points to a serious process deficiency.  It's not about whether or not they have a legal obligation to anybody -- it's about PR and brand positioning to maintain their assertion that they are #1 in the T&M industry.

I think we were all suitably impressed when Fluke made good with a bunch of people who weren't even their customers.  They were willing to spend $30k to prevent their name from being associated with a bad thought because somebody over there understands marketing and brand building.

Legally, Keysight can do whatever they want but this forum attracts a lot of eyes and their handheld DMM reputation is not doing so well after the assembly and inspection disaster, moldmaster 9000 carry cases, and Russian roulette probe kits.  There are two ways to see this type of situation from a branding and management point of view:  Either you see this as a need to shift the blame around until you aren't responsible, which does nothing to change people's perception about the company, or you see it as an opportunity to stand behind your product and make good on your marketing rhetoric.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2017, 03:50:36 am »
Does seem likely enough that mold spores were packaged along with the other contents of the box. Not much of an issue. As you said it is easy enough to clean. I agree nmori didn't go rummaging through these. Seems reasonable enough to me that the mix up could be a factor in why these were not previously sold and are now available at a cheaper price from a 3rd party liquidator. Mistakes happen. This would only be an issue if they had been sold back in the day like this. I don't doubt that they would have made right with their customers at the time. As to the Fluke / SparkFun drama, seems a bit ridiculous to praise them for flexing legal muscle over a color. Sure, they have to show that they've defended their trademark, but those meters that were destroyed were not labelled "Fluke". While it didn't hurt their reputation for quality in my eyes, the only "brand building" I took away from it was that they would rather hurt a smaller company than let someone else play with their crayons.

Offline BMCha

« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2017, 04:58:37 am »
That's normal for the B model.

The 1252A's that are up for sale had a free case and probe set upgrade option.  The B's did not.

I purchased a brand new U1252B from Keysight last year and it appears to be the same thing as the Agilent branded version.  It does not come with a case or with grabbers, and the part number for the basic probe set appears to be U1251-62100 (no 1 at the end).

I've seen two part numbers for the A model probe set:  U1251-62101 and U1168-62101.  Looking closely at colorado.rob's picture and nmori's eBay picture for the U1252A, they both show the U1251-62101 probe kit without the 19mm tips.

Now right on the side of the box, it says that the U1252A includes 4mm and 19mm tips.  I feel like this might have been a big screwup at Agilent when packing these kits.  My kit came with the U1168-62101 probe kit which has the 19mm tips.  I think either Agilent forgot to put the 19mm tips into a batch of U1251-62101 probe kits or somehow they've vanished from nmori's stock.

I considered the possibility that this was just a clip on accessory pack for 19mm tips but then why would it include the probe leads?  I think it makes more sense that it was supposed to include the 19mm tips, like my kit, and perhaps somebody on the line didn't realize that there's a difference between the two tips and thought she was only supposed to pack 1 set of tips instead of 2.

The Keysight rep, if he's still trolling this forum, should investigate this issue with the Malaysia team and offer to trade up the sets missing 19mm tips with a new U1168A probe kit.  Sure these are old stock of an EOL product from before the Keysight split, but the same people behind this product are with Keysight and in my opinion they should endeavor to understand this order fulfillment mistake and make good on their product.

Also I'm not so sure that the mold issue is a result of how these meters were stored.  The boxes, calibration certificates, and everything else appears to show no signs of moisture or mold.  It's also strange that whatever is on the carry case did not transfer to its surroundings.  Maybe it's not really mold?  In any case, I think it's an issue with the material that the case manufacturer used, as they all seem to be contaminated to some extent.

I got one of the A's a few weeks ago. Cal date is September 2011 and it did not come with the 19mm tips, only the 4mm. On the side of the box there's one bullet point that was covered up (presumably at the factory) with a piece of blue tape exactly matching the box color. I pulled it up and while it took some of the box along with it it's clear that the original bullet point was "Test Probes (19mm Tips)". I will also note that right below this (uncovered) is the line "Test Probes (4mm Tips)".

It seems like somewhere along the line they changed the probe set to not include the 19mm tips and had the boxes modified accordingly. Interesting that they didn't bother removing or otherwise changing the included accessories that require the 19mm tips.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2017, 06:27:37 am »
That is very interesting.  Hopefully others will chime in and state if they also had the blue tape on the box or not.
You have to wonder if the person who made that call realized the significance of not including the 19mm tips.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2017, 07:53:03 am »
This it's an interesting observation.  I hadn't noticed the tape, but it is there. Mine has a cal date of September 13, 2011

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:02 am »
Perhaps it has to do with the date the 4mm probe requirement went into effect, and they weren't sure if the 19mm probes could still be included, so removed them & covered the 19mm text of included accessories (CYA mentality).

FWIW mine is a B model, and was calibrated in May 2011 and it came with both 19mm & 4mm probes. I can't recall the exact date the 4mm probe requirement went into effect, but mid 2011 seems about right.

As per bullet points, the box mine came in doesn't even mention probes at all; probes are only mentioned under the Recommended Accessories headings on the sides & have photos of the P/N's just above the text.

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #524 on: August 01, 2017, 10:56:48 am »
Could anyone please send me the seller's e-mail in PM?
Nmori told that he not able to sell it on ebay outside of their global shipping program.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:21:55 am by WhichEnt2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf