Author Topic: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around  (Read 145806 times)

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around
« Reply #475 on: June 17, 2017, 04:01:06 am »
OK, I have the U1252A in hand.  I won't go into the details of the meter's capabilities.  If you are looking for that, see the the handheld DMM spreadsheet.  I'm just going to talk about the condition of the meter I received from nmori (from an eBay listing) today.  I have a U1252B from nmori and will offer some comparisons with that meter. I have attached a few photos of the U1252A meter, soft case and leads.

This is a high-end meter that is being sold as "new-old stock".  The meter is no longer produced by Keysight.  The price on these meters is a good deal below what most others are asking.  From that standpoint, it is a good deal for a quality meter.  Like the U1252B I received, these meters appear to have been in storage for over 5 years.  This meter comes with a few extras that were not included with the U1252B: a soft case, and a few extra probe tips.  The meter itself is an older model than the U1252B, but it has pretty much the same specs.  The most notable difference is that the meter is blue instead of safety orange, and has a blue backlight.

The cal cert is from September 2011, which is the same time frame as the U1252B I received.  Some people are receiving even older cal dates than this on their U1252B meters now.  The meter appeared to be new, in the box.  I found it odd that the protective covers were not on the probe tips when I removed them from the bag.

First impressions: if you are allergic to mold spores, I'd steer clear of this one.  The black soft case had white/grey powdery residue on the sides and corners [see photo] which appeared to be mold spores.  However none of it smelled moldy like the U1252B I received did.  And spraying it off with canned air seemed to clean it up.  The meter itself was in perfect condition.  The case seems to have protected the meter from the elements some.

The blue color is a lot darker than I was expecting which was a pleasant surprise.  I wasn't sure I really wanted a baby blue DMM as some photos suggest.  This is a good medium blue color.

The 7.2V NiMH battery was dead, so I popped in a fully charged 8.4V NiMH.  The meter turned on and passed its first few tests with flying colors.  The meter seems to be as well calibrated as the U1252B -- but that is with some very cursory checks.  My U1252B seems to be still within spec.

The probe set this meter comes with is a bit... umm... odd.  It comes with:
  • Test leads (2)
  • 4mm tip probes (2)
  • Alligator clips (2)
  • Fine tip probes (2)
  • SMT grabbers (2)
  • Mini-grabber (1)
First, it only comes with one black mini-grabber instead of a red/black pair.  If you look closely at the marketing photos, that's what you'll see.  The mini-grabber and fine-tipped probes are designed to fit over a 19mm tip probe.  You may notice that this set does not come with a 19mm tip probe.  The mini-grabber does not fit any probe I own.  It certainly does not fit the 4mm probes shipped with the meter.  Neither do the fine tip probes.  One imagines they would both fit an Agilent/Keysight 19mm probe but I cannot test that.  So the mini-grabber and fine-tipped probes are useless as shipped.  The fine tipped probes at least fit the 19mm probe tips from my bench DMM.  The alligator clips and the SMT grabbers fit directly on the test leads rather than sliding over a probe tip so they work just fine.  Whoever came up with the probe selection is first in line for the 'B' Ark if I have any say in the matter.

I went through the setup menu, which is lacking a couple options from the U1252B.  The option I was looking for was the option to switch the battery voltage from 7.2V to 8.4V.  The other missing option is the "Filter" option.  The firmware revision is reported as "0.91". The Keysight parts list shows that the 8.4V battery is a replacement for the 7.2V battery, so one supposes it will work.  I plan to just charge the 7.2V battery that came with it and use that.  The battery that came with the 1252B is working just fine.  I expect this one to function as well.

I really thought I would be a fan of the blue backlight.  But side-by-side, the orange backlight of the U1252B seems to provide better contrast for my eyes.  If I were younger, I'd probably prefer the blue.  But as I get older, I just want something easy on the eyes.

The soft case (once cleaned up) is decent and will fit the leads and a set of probe tips.  Don't expect to fit all of the grabbers, clips and tips.  It won't fit the charger and power cord.  It is not heavily padded but should protect the meter from damage in a toolbox.  There is a pocket in the front but I don't recommend putting more than the quick start guide in there.  Anything substantial in there will likely rub against and damage the meter's display when the case is zipped closed.

To summarize, it's a decent meter for a decent price.  For me, the U1252A is likely to be a backup to the U1252B rather than the other way around.  My recommendation: unless you just must have the blue DMM or think you'll get some value from the case and SMT grabbers, get the U1252B and invest in a good probe kit.  But either meter is a great option at this price.

Update 1: The NiMH battery in the U1252A needs to be replaced.  Fully charged, it lasted 3 hours the first time, then only 2 after the second charge.  A trivial expense and not really a surprise.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:18:50 am by colorado.rob »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, bitseeker, gnavigator1007, shteii01

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #476 on: June 17, 2017, 10:13:48 am »
Thank you for the summary of the U1252A :)

I have some Agilent probe kits that look to be the same as the one supplied with your meter. I bought them at a very good price and they do fit my FLUKE meter probes. I shall dig out a set and compare them toy your picture.

I believe I saw these sets of probes being sold recently on eBay for £24. IIRC, I paid £10 per set a few years ago when a seller had a bulk lot to dispose of.

I was wondering whether I would have preferred the U1252A to my U1253B but you kind review has convinced me I did make the right decision for me. I already have the probe sets and I like to buy nice padded cases to protect my better meters from impacts etc. For me, the U1252A offers no advantages.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: June 17, 2017, 11:32:30 am »
Pictures of my two types of Agilent lead set

These do fit other meter probes and meters like my original Fluke 87III and its probes.

I would have thought the leads, type 34138A, should have been provided with the U1252A. The leads that were provided appear to be an additional lead set designed to be sold for use with the normal long probe tip type probes.

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:35:07 am by Fraser »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #478 on: June 17, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »
Bitseeker, thanks formthenwelcome and the info. I will be reading along and see what developers. Dave

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: June 17, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »
So I discovered one downside to the U1252B (presumably applies to the whole U125x series): the diode test only goes to 2.1V, meaning it can't measure most modern LEDs. It lights them, but can't measure the Vf, just like my K197. Luckily my 87V and K2015 have no trouble with this. (My cheapie Mastech MY64, and random VC830L fail to even light a 3V LED, never mind measure it.)

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #480 on: June 17, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »
Yeah, the manual says it will measure up to about 2.1V.  I'm not sure what the intention is of showing "4.2" for the diode spec for this meter in the handheld DMM spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:01:19 am by colorado.rob »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2017, 03:07:18 am »
Thanks for the comparison, colorado.rob. I wonder if a firmware upgrade (if somehow possible) would enable it to support both voltages like the 52B or if the hardware is different.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #482 on: June 19, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
I'll check with the handheld folks and see what they say.

The following users thanked this post: aargee, lowimpedance, bitseeker, gnavigator1007

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:03 am »
Pictures of my two types of Agilent lead set

These do fit other meter probes and meters like my original Fluke 87III and its probes.

I would have thought the leads, type 34138A, should have been provided with the U1252A. The leads that were provided appear to be an additional lead set designed to be sold for use with the normal long probe tip type probes.

Fraser
Fraser , does one of your sets leads appear to have some white powdery residue on them ?. I have one set that seems to have it while another set does not !.
The set that does have it most certainly did not when I bought it so was it storage in the plastic wallet or something about the materials used in the leads  :-//.
Note that the environment that my lead sets live in is always temp. and humidity controlled so mold is not likely.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: June 20, 2017, 02:17:50 am »
Isn't that just talc to keep the silicone from being sticky??

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #485 on: June 20, 2017, 03:16:38 am »
Strange then it did not have it when I bought the set but appeared to develop over some when stored in the wallet they came in. Unfortunately I don't know the approximate 'time ' frame required to develop.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #486 on: June 20, 2017, 03:41:42 am »
It would've been interesting to compare, under a microscope, the "dust" from your probes with the spores from colorado.rob's case.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:55 am »
Regarding the white powder on the leads. My leads are military surplus unissued stock. I has
I had assumed that they were covered with talc as I have previously seen on Silicon leads. No idea what the dust is though. It was there from the day I openened the sealed plastic bag in which the leads were packed for the MoD.
The leads were packed with Solica Gell sachets, so damp is unlikely to be the cause.

Fraser

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2017, 03:30:17 pm »
It would've been interesting to compare, under a microscope, the "dust" from your probes with the spores from colorado.rob's case.
Well, since you asked and I happen to have a cheapo USB microscope, here you go.  I'm not able to interpret these images.  That's not one of my areas of expertise.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
Probably need a lot more magnification, but it looks mold-like. However, I am not an expert on such flora, either.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2017, 04:39:16 pm »
That appears to be a mold formation as I have seen such before.

Fraser

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2017, 06:24:03 pm »
Mould, wash in a strong warm bleach solution, leaving the leads in contact with the strong bleach for at least 5 minutes, and scrub with either a cloth or a plastic brush. Should kill it all. Rinse in clean water, and dry thoroughly after the wash.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »
Mould, wash in a strong warm bleach solution, leaving the leads in contact with the strong bleach for at least 5 minutes, and scrub with either a cloth or a plastic brush. Should kill it all. Rinse in clean water, and dry thoroughly after the wash.

Those pictures are not of leads.  They are of crevices in the soft case that comes with the U1252A DMMs sold on eBay.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:01:59 am by colorado.rob »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #493 on: June 28, 2017, 06:49:43 am »
Thanks for the comparison, colorado.rob. I wonder if a firmware upgrade (if somehow possible) would enable it to support both voltages like the 52B or if the hardware is different.

Here's the feedback from the team regarding the firmware question:

"Unfortunately firmware upgrade would not able to enhance this feature to able to measure modern LED as this is limit by both hardware and firmware in the unit itself,  which the meter measurement is only able to measure and display up to 2.1V for the diode test.

Some of the users would have asked what the maximum open circuit for the diode measurement, therefore this is the reason why we stated the open circuit info in datasheet."

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #494 on: June 28, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »
I think the big question on everyone's mind was "is it possible to update the firmware on these units and, if so, how?"

It's obvious that there have been firmware updates, but there is no data about specific firmware versions and their respective changes on Keysight's support sight that I could find.  Nor is there information about whether one would want a firmware update or how to go about getting the firmware updated.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:05 pm »
I thought there was a post in this thread saying that the firmware was not upgradable. But AFAIK the only differences in recent firmware is whether the slow-as-heck filter is on by default. (On older firmware it's off, on newer it's on.)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: June 28, 2017, 05:37:43 pm »
The only difference I recall for the 51 and 52 is the default filter setting, as tooki said. On the 53, which is customer-upgradable, there was a fix for the battery charger, which had a problem undercharging batteries.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #497 on: June 28, 2017, 07:17:51 pm »
The U1252A that I have does not have does not have a filter function or 8.4V battery support in its menu system.  Depending on how these features are implemented (in HW/SW), they could be firmware updates.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #498 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:00 pm »
Interesting. I guess the filter is a feature of the B versions.

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2017, 10:54:13 pm »
A quick update on my DOA U1252B:  I received a replacement meter today from nmori87-us, and the new unit (cal date Nov 2011) is working fine  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf