Author Topic: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around  (Read 145752 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Bunch of keysight U1252B meters around
« Reply #575 on: November 20, 2018, 03:48:40 pm »
Wrong. When you jump in at the end of a topic then at least skim page one so you have some idea what it's about.

These meters were sold on eBay. No returns accepted. Such are the pitfalls. I'll double check but I'm sure it's far out of warranty.

Definitely not one the kind of meter that survives Dave's drop tests.
Wow, rude much?

If you mention it being sold “new in box”, then it’s fair to assume it was a recent purchase and that buyer protections would apply. You’re out of line jumping down someone’s throat over this.

If it’s not a recent purchase, did the problem show up from the beginning, or later on? If it was the former, then you should have dealt with it then. If it was the latter, then it’s possible it wasn’t DOA after all...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #576 on: November 20, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »
Wrong. When you jump in at the end of a topic then at least skim page one so you have some idea what it's about.

These meters were sold on eBay. No returns accepted. Such are the pitfalls. I'll double check but I'm sure it's far out of warranty.

Definitely not one the kind of meter that survives Dave's drop tests.
Wow, rude much?

If you mention it being sold “new in box”, then it’s fair to assume it was a recent purchase and that buyer protections would apply. You’re out of line jumping down someone’s throat over this.

If it’s not a recent purchase, did the problem show up from the beginning, or later on? If it was the former, then you should have dealt with it then. If it was the latter, then it’s possible it wasn’t DOA after all...

Thank you.... that's what I thought!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #577 on: November 20, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »
I'm not trying to be rude it's just the truth. If you are about to give an answer that is really obvious to everybody, then you're probably missing something.

The problem was always there, but I couldn't say for certain that it wasn't user error, or crap battery. I didn't deal with it straight away so shame on me.  I only now discovered the cause more than a year later.

I'll open it up and take a closer look. Hopefully it's repairable.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #578 on: November 20, 2018, 11:45:06 pm »
(You might need to fix your quoting there, Terry01!)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #579 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:13 pm »
I'm not trying to be rude it's just the truth. If you are about to give an answer that is really obvious to everybody, then you're probably missing something.
It's you who's missing something, not everyone else. You didn't state originally when you got it, or how, and the clues you did provide hinted towards a recent purchase, as I explained. That's on you, and nobody else.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #580 on: November 20, 2018, 11:58:46 pm »

The problem was always there, but I couldn't say for certain that it wasn't user error, or crap battery. I didn't deal with it straight away so shame on me.  I only now discovered the cause more than a year later.

I'll open it up and take a closer look. Hopefully it's repairable.

If that's the case, then the truth is, i shouldn't have bothered myself trying to be nice and help you and just called you a "clown" for not checking it ASAP considering it came from ebay. What a moron!

Since you've decided being brutally honest is best, i think your an "ignorant so & so" who will never admit when they are wrong so lets just ignore each other from here on in and we'll get on fine!

Hope you break a nail opening your bust meter!

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #581 on: November 21, 2018, 07:18:34 am »
Quote from: tooki
You didn't state originally when you got it, or how
Again, this entire topic is about specific eBay listing by a particular seller. I described my original purchase a page or two back in a long post. Several paragraphs.

i shouldn't have bothered myself trying to be nice and help you and just called you a "clown" for not checking it ASAP considering it came from ebay. What a moron!

Since you've decided being brutally honest is best, i think your an "ignorant so & so" who will never admit when they are wrong so lets just ignore each other from here on in and we'll get on fine!
Call me whatever you like if it makes you feel good. I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong.  In fact, I already did, if you hadn't noticed. The thing is, I wasn't expecting sympathy. I was just sharing my experience with the other buyers. The knob shouldn't fail on a $700 meter. Now I'm going to cry myself to sleep about you ignoring me.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #582 on: November 21, 2018, 12:39:20 pm »
Folks, let's simmer down, please.

timelessbeing, although the thread talks about meters purchased at eBay, it is not uncommon for people to do cross posting without regard for the main subject - you've been long enough on this forum to realize that.

That is probably what Terry01 was alluding with his reference to simply return it, added to the fact that you mentioned a "New in box" and $700 meter 1-1/2 year after the initial post (as also said by tooki). From my POV I agree with them that a bit of context was necessary, but only due to past history of cross posting by other users.

On the other hand, in a bad day I could see Terry01's reply as sarcastic or dismissive, but to be honest not much else.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #583 on: November 21, 2018, 02:34:08 pm »
Folks, let's simmer down, please.

timelessbeing, although the thread talks about meters purchased at eBay, it is not uncommon for people to do cross posting without regard for the main subject - you've been long enough on this forum to realize that.

That is probably what Terry01 was alluding with his reference to simply return it, added to the fact that you mentioned a "New in box" and $700 meter 1-1/2 year after the initial post (as also said by tooki). From my POV I agree with them that a bit of context was necessary, but only due to past history of cross posting by other users.

On the other hand, in a bad day I could see Terry01's reply as sarcastic or dismissive, but to be honest not much else.

Spot on!  :-+

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #584 on: November 21, 2018, 03:43:50 pm »
Quote from: tooki
You didn't state originally when you got it, or how
Again, this entire topic is about specific eBay listing by a particular seller. I described my original purchase a page or two back in a long post. Several paragraphs.
Bruh… :palm:  no, not "a page or two" back. Twelve pages back, 20 months ago. From your mention of "new in box", etc., there was absolutely no reason for anyone to assume this was an old purchase and go back through the thread. You made it sound like a recent purchase, and as I said, that's on you. Stop trying to portray it as others' laziness when it's your lousy wording and bad attitude that's caused this kerfuffle.

Nor is there any requirement that posts in this thread be from people who bought from this eBay seller, anyway!

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #585 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:33 pm »
Hmm , 12 pages back eh. Ok that's further than I thought "bruh".

But all the context was right there on the same page. In fact the seller himself is advertising there.

"Just return it" is just a stupid answer.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #586 on: November 21, 2018, 10:11:39 pm »
No it’s not when you describe it as “new in box”. That implies a recent purchase. You cannot expect people to infer from “new in box” that you bought it 20 months ago.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:02 pm »

But all the context was right there on the same page. In fact the seller himself is advertising there.

It's not me that's got a duff meter, so as it turns out your not looking too bright yourself are you Einstein?

The only "stupid" thing I did was waste a couple mins trying to help you.

Like I said before a duff meter is good enough for you! I hope the next one you buy is a duffer too!

I won't waste another second on you, your obviously a stubborn old fool who thinks everyone else is wrong barring you! The posts are here for everyone to make their own mind up and I doubt the other people would have posted did so thinking they'd jump on the "wrong wagon" with you.

That's good enough for me!

Thread will now be ignored and thanks very much guys for trying to make this old fool see sense too. I feel it's a lost cause unfortunately  :(

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: November 22, 2018, 11:55:50 am »

It's not me that's got a duff meter, so as it turns out your not looking too bright yourself are you Einstein?

The only "stupid" thing I did was waste a couple mins trying to help you.

Like I said before a duff meter is good enough for you! I hope the next one you buy is a duffer too!

I won't waste another second on you, your obviously a stubborn old fool who thinks everyone else is wrong barring you! The posts are here for everyone to make their own mind up and I doubt the other people would have posted did so thinking they'd jump on the "wrong wagon" with you.

That's good enough for me!

Thread will now be ignored and thanks very much guys for trying to make this old fool see sense too. I feel it's a lost cause unfortunately  :(
Rab, is that you?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Pete2

• Contributor
« Reply #589 on: November 23, 2018, 05:29:15 am »
I have one of these meters bought new years ago for work. And I'll never get a one with a charging function again! The meter cooks the NiMH battery, i.e. it clearly overcharges it (yes, battery voltage set correctly at 8.4 V). I had one that got so hot during charging the label melted. And also, the battery life sucks (partly because of the self-discharge if not used).

Other than that, it seems like a very accurate meter, although a bit annoying is that AC voltage is the first in the rotary from OFF so most of the time you have to turn it twice (I hardly ever measure AC). And continuity is always via Shift, defaults to Ohms.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #590 on: November 23, 2018, 05:53:16 am »
Cooking the battery is a defect. I sent mine back for a replacement.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2018, 08:29:31 am »
Mine gets hot too. The manual says it trickle charges once the battery is full, but even the trickle current must be pretty high.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2018, 01:23:10 pm »
I bought a new rechargeable battery for mine and plug it in once every blue moon but I take it off as soon as it beeps at me that it's charged.  I also discovered that you can plug in to charge from any old bench PSU, just set the right voltage and off you go.  I guess this must've pre-dated the era when the PSU 'talked' to the device and refused to work if it wasn't the actual manufacturers charger (like Apple do now).
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #593 on: November 23, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »
Mine gets hot too. The manual says it trickle charges once the battery is full, but even the trickle current must be pretty high.

Hi,

i bought two of these mysterious NOS 1252B from the well known US seller. Both meters seems not pre used and worked perfectly, excecpt the accu, the powerex accus were completely dead. I replaced the accus and also found out that they are running hot after charging.

I don't want blame the seller for this issue and also I don't want send the meters back in the US, so I reverse engineered the charge circuit and found an easy solution for the problem.
In short words: There is an issue with the mosfet that switches the charge current off after the charging is completed. The Ugs cutoff voltage from the build in mosfet does not fit to the actual cutoff voltage from the controller circuit.

To solve this problem I had to modify one resistor.
Change R13 (showed in the attached picture) to 20k.
That worked for my meters without any unwanted side effects.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:45:41 pm by chronos42 »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, edavid, bitseeker, BU508A

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #594 on: November 23, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »
Thanks. Nice work. What is the original resistor value? Did you draw a schematic?

The powerex in mine seemed dead too. I "recovered" it by forcing a higher voltage into it.

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #595 on: November 23, 2018, 07:50:43 pm »
Hi,

sorry I have forgotten the original value and lost my handwritten schematics, I did this about one year ago.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #596 on: November 24, 2018, 02:42:55 am »
Nice find, chronos. I sent mine back to Keysight since they said that they wanted to see what the cause of the problem was. They never told me what the problem was. They just gave me a new meter. Of course, that's only useful if you're not too far from one of their locations.

Thanks for sharing your fix. :-+

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #597 on: November 24, 2018, 07:52:03 am »
bitseeker, how old was your meter and what was the warranty status? Did you also buy yours from the ebay seller nmori?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #598 on: November 24, 2018, 05:20:56 pm »
Mine was still under warranty at the time. I bought it before this eBay deal was available.

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #599 on: November 25, 2018, 04:39:17 pm »
The original resistor is 100k. I replaced mine with a 22k I had at hand, will see if it helps next time I charge it. Thanks for the mod!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf