Author Topic: Buying a bunch of probes, leads, etc. on a budget  (Read 2055 times)

Offline robdejongeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Buying a bunch of probes, leads, etc. on a budget
« on: October 16, 2021, 04:27:57 am »
(I'm a hobbyist unburdened by any knowledge. Should I post questions like this in the beginner forum instead?)

With the acquisition of a second-hand oscilloscope, delivered with just the probes (soldering-iron damaged, no trimmer tool, the same color rings on both and no ground spring). They work just fine for the moment, but ... compared to these probes, how much worse are budget probes?

And while we're at it, I really like these modular test lead kits I've seen around for my multimeter. And then, perhaps some wires for banana to DuPont pins for easy injection of power onto a breadboard. And perhaps the BNC to alligator clips. And maybe ... and and ...

My use case: low voltage electronics, microcontrollers, simple circuits, curiosity, learning.
Other parameters: I'm on a small budget. I'm in Thailand. AliExpress is basically my only option.

My questions:

• Within its price-range (eg. $10 for a 100MHz x1/x10 probe), are Cleqee decent enough?
  • Quality-wise, how do Cleqee probes (or similarly-priced alternatives) compare to the ones I got with the scope? (let's assume they are the original GW Instek 70MHz ones)
  • Quality-wise, how are their dmm test leads and general cables?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:33:26 am by robdejonge »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Buying a bunch of probes, leads, etc. on a budget
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 04:35:14 am »
With the acquisition of a second-hand oscilloscope, delivered with just the probes (soldering-iron damaged, no trimmer tool, the same color rings on both and no ground spring). They work just fine for the moment, but ... compared to these probes, how much worse are budget probes?

Electrically, up to 100MHz? Not much worse at all.

Let's face it: There's not much magic in a probe. It's just a wire with some basic passive components in it.

Will the tension on the spring clip be as refined as on a $500 probe? Maybe not.

Will the little hook and BNC connectors be made of cheaper metal? Probably.

Signal-wise though? No wuckin' furries (as an Australian video blogger might say)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/cheapest-100mhz-oscilloscope-probes-hands-on-review/

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 04:41:01 am »
If your multimeter doesn't have gold-plated probes then you should get some. They make a huge difference.

You can get some quite good ones for $3-$4 on aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=gold+probes

Some even come with crocodile clips, eg.: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964847885.html

(randomly chosen seller)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 04:58:00 am »
  • Within its price-range (eg. $10 for a 100MHz x1/x10 probe), are Cleqee decent enough?
  • Quality-wise, how do Cleqee probes (or similarly-priced alternatives) compare to the ones I got with the scope? (let's assume they are the original GW Instek 70MHz ones)
  • Quality-wise, how are their dmm test leads and general cables?

I have a few random Clequee items including a 5kV scope probe and some BNC-to-banana cables and they aren't utter crap, so definitely worth risking their pretty small price.  Probably on par with the GW Instek models.  I would avoid the 1X/10X switchables if you can and pay more for the 10X and maybe a 100X.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 05:11:12 am »
I would avoid the 1X/10X switchables if you can and pay more for the 10X and maybe a 100X.

Yep, I'd get fixed 10x probes for general use (although they can be hard to find and cost more  :-// ).

Get another switchable probe for the rare occasions you might need one, or use the probes you got with the 'scope...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 05:13:34 am by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 05:23:02 am »
Does anybody have a source for cheapo fixed 10x probes?

I just looked on aliexpress and can't find a single one.  :scared:   I know they exist...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 05:37:32 am »
Thanks for the comments! I am pleasantly surprised at the replies, worried the proposed discount approach would be dramatically poorer quality. Might have to queue up some 11/11 purchases!

I saw this fixed 10x probe: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrv0mII

On that recommendation: the stuff I do is decidedly low voltage and low frequency. I see the “use 10x only” recommendation regularly and understand that is a general recommendation. But for me, mostly 3.3/5V, rarely ever over 12V, wouldn’t I want to increased accuracy of the 1x as I probably won’t ever work with signals beyond a few MHz?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 05:54:19 am »
wouldn’t I want to increased accuracy of the 1x as I probably won’t ever work with signals beyond a few MHz?

That's assuming that the greater circuit loading, both capacitive and resistive, will actually result in greater accuracy.  If you need 1X, use your original probes or get these:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/332997875022?hash=item4d8838554e:g:bAkAAOSwKOZcMG38

The Clequee 10X probe you posted will work pretty well for you, although they are not all that cheap.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 06:00:18 am »
wouldn’t I want to increased accuracy of the 1x as I probably won’t ever work with signals beyond a few MHz?

It's not more accurate, it's noisier.

eg. Whenever you use 1x you should always turn on the 20Mhz bandwidth limiter on your 'scope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 06:02:13 am »

Looks nice... but not cheap!

(dons asbestos suit before the Tektronix boys arrive to give their opinions on oscilloscope probe prices)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:04:30 am by Fungus »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 09:09:07 am »
If your multimeter doesn't have gold-plated probes then you should get some. They make a huge difference.

You can get some quite good ones for $3-$4 on aliexpress.

I previously bought these. They've served me well, although I managed to slightly bend one of the tips.

I regularly have frankenstein-like situations of a DuPont lead connected to a crocodile clamp with the other side of the crocodile clamp on the dmm probe pin, etc. Not very desirable, but the only way to get things connected in those situations. I've looked at $100 Probe Master 9100 Series kits, but that is beyond what I'm willing to spend at the moment. I might buy myself a Cleqee P1600 Series kit, which has the same modular setup but is within my price range. Looks like there are gold-plated tips in those kits too. Hopefully this will allow me to more securely and less awkwardly connect things up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:18:11 am by robdejonge »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 09:16:35 am »

Looks nice... but not cheap!

The Clequee 10X probe you posted will work pretty well for you, although they are not all that cheap.

Sorry to keep repeating "what do you think?" questions, but ... well, what do you guys think?

For a beginner like me, is it worth spending the extra cash? I know I'm on a budget, but if there is a discernible difference between these two probes that is important for my use case of hobby electronics, then I'd be willing to spend the extra cash.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:21:13 am by robdejonge »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 10:48:34 pm »
Probe tip ground springs are quite easy to wind yourself, I make a bunch every once and a while using a drill bit as a mandrel. 500 MHz is pretty much the upper limit for passive probes and I would be quite skeptical of a $20 one, stick to a more honestly rated 100 MHz one. What it the range of your scope?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 01:06:36 am »
My scope is 70MHz. The reason I’m debating between the two probes previously linked was not for the added frequency, as my scope can’t deal with that anyway. But rather as it’s a fixed 10x probe, something recommended.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 01:28:21 am »
I didn’t catch that it was a straight 10X probe, they are not so easy to find in the lower cost range. Still, that 500 MHz claim for $20 seems fishy but might be worth getting one to check out as your sources are limited.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 05:53:55 am »
In addition to “should I get the $10 1x/10x probe or the $20 10x-fixed probe?”, I have another question.

Are the $50 Hantek current probes worth getting, or are cheap current probes garbage?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 06:01:02 am by robdejonge »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 07:12:53 am »
I didn’t catch that it was a straight 10X probe, they are not so easy to find in the lower cost range.

Yep. I was looking and couldn't see any cheap 10x probes on Aliexpress. You'd think they'd be cheaper to manufacture but I guess the people who shop for cheap probes all believe switchable probes are somehow "better" so they aren't creating any demand for the fixed 10x probes.

My Micsig came with four fixed 10x probes, no 1x probe at all. The Micsig guy on here said it was so that they could include higher quality probes. I think it's an awesome decision.

There's nothing really wrong with 1x/10x probes but 1x mode is hardly ever needed and confuses newbies. 10x mode is also safer for the 'scope.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:16:17 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf